Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pintoboy77
    replied
    That's why I shop NAPA now instead of the others not saying I don't still get a bad part just not as offen.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    After that I decided to switch the thermostat again. This time i used the old high flow 180 that was in the enginge 6 years ago. Took it for a test drive and after it heated up to about 220 it started to come down. I drove it at least twice as far as this morning and when I pulled into the garage it was reading 185. I even let it idle for a couple of minutes and it held steady. I'd like to be happy about this develeopment but I'm too busy being confused.

Here is a question to ponder: If this really was the problem and my luck is bad enough to buy 2 bad thermostats, should I be driving an old car like this accross the country and back?
    I've had two bad starters, two bad alternators. With Brian Rock on Anti Tour when he got two bad alternators. With today's quality of parts these days; I am not the least surprised.

I have had two lifters fail on my Caprice. Isky hyd flat tappet. Same problem on both. Just saw an Edelbrock cam go flat in 30 seconds and it's lifter worn through the bottom to the inner spring in that time.

The list is endless. I can't even find vacuum caps that don't dry out and crack in less than a year.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    If the plugs were not hot when you shut it down, there might be water on tgem, or look wet..
    I doubt you have a blown head gasket.. World show up by now..
    Bad thermostats are the norm..
    Had one hold water too long it blew the side tank off in a derby ..thus no more thermostats!

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Thanks guys. We will certainly have a good time.

Leave a comment:

• camerons grampa
    replied
    yea last year i did plan B with my crn vic,didnt have to worry about my overheating gremlins,oil leaking etc.driving a tweener (not old enough but still old) plan B this year 96 caprice.I have a 74 gto i had shipped from la cal.had for 20 years never finished.maybe next year.

Leave a comment:

• pintoboy77
    replied
    You can have fun in anything the ride you drive is only part of the adventure the ride it's self is the rest and if your not sure of your ride it's best too leave it at home I have before.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Just took it for another drive and after a blip to 215 it behaved fine.

At this point, with 68 hours until we leave for the Power Tour and 3,800 miles of travveling across the country, there is no way I am going to be comfortable taking this car. There are too many untested systems the temp gremlins seal the deal.

Here is our ride for the tour this year:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Edge.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	870248
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    I find the odds improbable.
    c

I agree completely!

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Reliability is boring

I find the odds improbable, but you never know.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    After that I decided to switch the thermostat again. This time i used the old high flow 180 that was in the enginge 6 years ago. Took it for a test drive and after it heated up to about 220 it started to come down. I drove it at least twice as far as this morning and when I pulled into the garage it was reading 185. I even let it idle for a couple of minutes and it held steady. I'd like to be happy about this develeopment but I'm too busy being confused.

Here is a question to ponder: If this really was the problem and my luck is bad enough to buy 2 bad thermostats, should I be driving an old car like this accross the country and back?

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    I pulled the plugs under the theory that if I have coolant getting into the combustion chamber I'll see a clean plug. Here are the passenger side plugs. The drivers side were no different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plugs.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	870243
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pintoboy77
    replied
    If it's not in the oil check the exhaust for more than normal steam and a sweet smell. If not warm it up and use a radiator pressure tester and see if it holds pressure if it does it may not be the problem let it set for awhile with pressure on it. If you don't have one I think Auto Zone has a loaner.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Nothing in the oil yet. Timing is set to about 10-12 degrees at idle. I think I'll pull the plugs and see if there is anything interesting.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Run it long enough, it goes by the rings and into the oil, especially on shut down. Granted I've only seen a handful of blown head gaskets, but every one that impacted the cooling system had water in the oil.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 27, 2013, 12:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    With getting derby motors hot often, we can tell if a head gasket goes by the water going out the exhaust.. To be honest, our exhaust goes straight up.. Can't say which side is prone to going.. Seems even on both sides..
    Maybe remove your exhaust at the collector and run it to see if some comes spitting out.. You will get a damp hand when you pass oy over the collector

Water does not always go in the oil when a head gasket goes..
    Last edited by Deaf Bob; May 27, 2013, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X