No announcement yet.

74 NovaMan’s … Novas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was some inconsistency in the award lines as some lines were only giving out signs for the driver credential. Unfortunately, I was in one of those lines. With 1,200 miles to cover by Sunday night, we were not going to let that detail slow us down at that point. We hit the road at about 9:00 and made it north of St Louis by 7:00. We averaged 70mph including 2 stops and covered 700 miles.

Sunday morning, I locked both sets of our keys in the trunk as we were loading up. I had to call a locksmith. All i really needed from him was a stubby phillips screwdriver to remove one of the speakers so that I could reach in an get the keys out of the box of tools in the trunk. $50 later and an hour later in the pouring rain we were on the road. We made it home by 6:00.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7419.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	1041524
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; June 24, 2015, 02:52 PM.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• What's life without a few adventures.
      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• We have the opportunity to get the original high school car and extra body shell back and I have been thinking hard about a project that has been floating around in my head for over 25 years. Not sure we are ready to pull the trigger yet but everything we have does run and drive (though the to do lists are still substantial). We can get them for almost nothing - which is probably close to what they are worth at this point. It would certainly be a long term project. These pics will give you a clue as to what we are considering.

Name:	Convert (2).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1062470

Name:	FLOYD1C3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1062468

Attached Files
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I always liked the roll back tops you could get on the spirit of america cars. There was one rusting away in a yard back home when I was a kid....it's owner was one of the " I'm gonna fix her up one day" morons
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• That looks like a good candidate for sub-frame connectors!
            Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by pintoboy77 View Post
                That looks like a good candidate for sub-frame connectors!
                And cross bracing too.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Buying the old Novas back did not happen. I still know where they are and they are not likely to go anywhere soon though.

Over the winter I did fix the speedometer. I had a spare from the old red car so I took them both apart and made one good one that worked. I was going to swap one for the other, but the numbers on the odometer were much better (cleaner) on the blue cars speedo. I also took the opportunity to add the miles that were traveled while the speedo was out.

The before pic:

Name:	IMG_8165.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1101119

Here is the backside of the speedo. The odometer set comes out fairly easily and that is what I swapped to the other speedometer. The little white plastic piece behind the numbers cylinders is pretty fragile. On the red car speedo it came off in pieces. Fortunately, the other one came out intact and was in good condition so that I could reuse it. I believe that that piece and the metal tabs that they retain keep the different wheels from just spinning randomly. In my internet research people have said the plastic piece can be recreated using plastic from a pop/soda bottle.

Name:	IMG_8164.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1101118

The finished product installed:

Name:	IMG_8167.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1101117
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• We replaced the tires last week. Had them done at the local Chevy dealer. On the invoice there was a note from the service department stating that they inspected the tires and that they were in good condition and did not need replacement at this time. I pointed out to the service writers that they may want to do some training on date codes for tires. The rear tires were 12 years old and the fronts were 16 years old. We got a new spare too (16 years old and never used). With 2 rebates totaling $150 and a price match from Sears ($107.35 ea), the 5 new tires cost us about $550. The car doesn't ride or look any different, but it was certainly time. We got these in a 225/60r14:

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1101130

74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Smart move on the tars, Chris. My trailer tires turned out to be 7 years old and I shreaded one on the way to the track. I put on the spare (about 2 years old) and bought a new one that I had them put on the ground. So I'll have the other 2 on the ground changed before I head back to Ohio and keep one of the antique tires for a spare. Age catches up with all of us, especially tires.

Dan

Comment

• My tires up front on the Suburban were getting worn, got a new spare, never used out of a junk yard Sub, and my spare.. My spare did not have a cover, it shredded spectarularily under 100 miles..

Comment

• Not a lot happening with the Nova other than driving it when weather permits (maybe in April if we are lucky). It does need a new radiator though. Maybe this will make install easier:

Name:	IMG_7083.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	1286403
                          74 Nova Project
                          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• A hoist is always a winner! I'm too old to crawl around under them anymore.

Dan
                            Last edited by DanStokes; January 20, 2021, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                              Not a lot happening with the Nova other than driving it when weather permits (maybe in April if we are lucky). It does need a new radiator though. Maybe this will make install easier:

Name:	IMG_7083.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	1286403
                              Nice ! and I thought these were a big step up !

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	956.1 KB
ID:	1286424

Comment

• Swapped the radiator out last weekend with the old one I still had from when I replaced it in 2013 (see pages 9-11). Took it for a drive and it seems to be working fine. I had patched a crack near the filler neck in 2013 ago but decided to get a new one before Power Tour that year. I'm hoping that it will be good for a while, as the copper brass 3 core seems to be harder to get than it once was.

Name:	Radiator.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	1290317
                                74 Nova Project
                                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                                X