No announcement yet.

74 NovaMan’s … Novas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The swings, especially on the way down (from 220 - 180), took only seconds. Seems to scream air bubble doesn't it?

Ever drilled a hole in the thermostat to eliminate trapped air?
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; May 21, 2013, 02:00 PM.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I do typically drill ~1/8th inch hole in the thermostat, however I find the results mediocre. I think because it bleeds air too slowly, hence why I switched to pulling the heater hose. I still do the ~1/8th inch hole anyways out of habit and I don't believe it hurts anything.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Sounds a lot like an air bubble in the block. I drill two or three 1/8 or 3/16 holes in the thermostat. It allows air to escape pretty quickly.

Also, if you are still using the old radiator cap, get a new one.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• agreed
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Thanks again guys. I drove 33 miles home last night and as it warmed up on the freeway it hit about 220. It was there for maybe a minute and then started dropping and wound up around 190. It stayed around there pretty steady for the rest of the drive home. I agree with the air bubble theory for the eariler behavior but the above looks like thermostat to me.

I picked up a new radiator and another new thermostat yesterday. When I swap those out I'll drill holes and try the heater hose trick as well. I'll make sure to pick up a new cap too. Hopefully that will solve the cooling issues.

I believe that I have figured out the temp switch/light issue. When I called NAPA for a replacement sender (first one was from O'riely) the guy asks "light or gauge?" Don't remember that question from O'riely. I'm betting I have a guage sender.

I also picked up the rebuilt transmission and new converter last night. The next couple of days should be busy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Trans.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	870121
            Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:43 PM.
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I read your problems with interest..
              I also have that same "problem" with my flatbed... Not sure what I did to make that happen.. Might be hose replacement..Or thermostat..
              It will heat up to 220/240 for a half mile or so then drop to 160/180. With a 180 thermostat..
              Never lost water/coolant. Always have some in overflow and radiator.. Heater doesn't warm worth a wee! So sounds like I will try a new cap and filling with the heater hose.. Be some time before I do it as there is a cord of slabs on it right now

Comment

• I once cured that problem by tossing the new generic parts store thermostat (actually 3 of them) and stepping up to a STANT SUPERSTAT.

Hold one of each in your hands, there is no comparison. Cheap thermostats suck.

The STANT was about $15 at the time.
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• New radiator is in. Time to get the old Trans out.

Here is a pic of the new parts:

Name:	New Cooling parts.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	870150
                  Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 26, 2015, 07:16 AM.
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Trans is out!
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• For the "pictures or it didn't happen" crowd:

Name:	Trans Gone.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	870151
                      Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 26, 2015, 07:17 AM.
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• New stuff ready to go. Old radiator. Had to quit at 12:30 am so I could get some sleep before work. Hope to be back on the road Saturday.

Name:	Trans ready to go.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	870152
                        Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 26, 2015, 07:17 AM.
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I'm still not convinced. You know with photoshop and all =P
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Got the transmission in today. Here are a couple of things I discovered to ease installation.
                            • Install the top 2 trans to block bolts with the crossmember out and the engine tilted back. The install happens from under the car this way. A 3 foot extension with a u-joint socket are helpful/necessary.
                            • Start the trans lines in the transmission before it is lifted into place.
                            • Get a 1/2" crows foot wrench for the final tightening of the lines on the trans. See pics. This worked so well I can't tell you how happy I was about it.
                            I checked the trans pressure and had a little panic attack when they were not quite what I had expected. I texted my trans guy and he called back and said we were good to go.

Tomorrow I need to get the engine temp under control as I appear to have air bubble issues still.

Name:	wrench.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	870206

Name:	wrench 2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	870207
                            Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 26, 2015, 07:20 AM.
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I don't know if you have a plug or a vaccum tree on your thermostat housing or not,but on the Pinto I have a plug on mine and I remove that and take a screwdriver and push the thermostat open and fill the radiator and that does it for me. How new is the waterpump and in the past I have always had problems with flex fans and overheating on the Pinto last year I went with an electric fan and no more overheating.
                              Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Greg - The water pump is new and unfortunately I do not have any access to the thermostat when installed. The flex fan worked fine in the past and given the temps here lately (low 70s) that is definetly not the issue at this point. Thanks for the ideas.
                                74 Nova Project
                                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                                X