No announcement yet.

74 NovaMan’s … Novas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the plugs were not hot when you shut it down, there might be water on tgem, or look wet..
    I doubt you have a blown head gasket.. World show up by now..
    Bad thermostats are the norm..
    Had one hold water too long it blew the side tank off in a derby ..thus no more thermostats!

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
      After that I decided to switch the thermostat again. This time i used the old high flow 180 that was in the enginge 6 years ago. Took it for a test drive and after it heated up to about 220 it started to come down. I drove it at least twice as far as this morning and when I pulled into the garage it was reading 185. I even let it idle for a couple of minutes and it held steady. I'd like to be happy about this develeopment but I'm too busy being confused.

Here is a question to ponder: If this really was the problem and my luck is bad enough to buy 2 bad thermostats, should I be driving an old car like this accross the country and back?
      I've had two bad starters, two bad alternators. With Brian Rock on Anti Tour when he got two bad alternators. With today's quality of parts these days; I am not the least surprised.

I have had two lifters fail on my Caprice. Isky hyd flat tappet. Same problem on both. Just saw an Edelbrock cam go flat in 30 seconds and it's lifter worn through the bottom to the inner spring in that time.

The list is endless. I can't even find vacuum caps that don't dry out and crack in less than a year.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• That's why I shop NAPA now instead of the others not saying I don't still get a bad part just not as offen.
        Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• I'd say go for the adventure, but if you have momma with you, may not be worth the potential downside.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I was reading through the before and after list.

Noticed new hoses......does the lower hose have the spring in it? Lots of new hoses DO NOT include the anti-collapse spring, you are supposed to "reuse" your old one in the new hose. Weird but true.

Perhaps you have a restriction on the intake side of the pump?
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Beagle - If I was going with a buddy I'd be much more inclined to go for it.

Stiney - I did reuse the spring, although the parts counter guy said I did not need to. The system is pressureizing fine.

Update - In a great leap of faith I drove the car to work today. 33 miles. Mostly freeway. Temp hit 215 at the gas station a couple of miles from home and was down to 190 with the car off while filling when I went to leave. It ran under 180 for most of the freeway drive and did not get over 185 after the initial heat up. Go figure.
              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
              79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I see you are having heating issues. Here one thing I have found to help not sure if you have checked this or not. But I have taking the drain plugs out of the block(just above the oill pan rails on both sides) and didn't get any fluids comming out. Stick someting in the hole to find there was a bunch of crud stuck in the water passage. Once I drain that out and flush the system it helped my flow alot. Its might be worth a try. Good luck.

Comment

• Thanks for the idea. I took it out to grab lunch and it did the same thing. Heated up to 220. I stopped at a light and turned it off for a minute and then it dropped to 180 within seconds. Drove it a few miles after that and spent 5-10 minutes idling in a drive through and it never got above 185.
                  Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:54 PM.
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Sounds so much like my flatbed!
                    I haul 12K of rock 7-10 miles with it and a cord of slabs from a small sawmill up in the hills..
                    I drive 2 miles on the freeway to get to the turn off while unloaded.. The first mile is worrisome climbing to 220-240, then the temp drops to 180, never to climb over 190 max even with the mile long 2nd gear climb to the mill and the trip home a different way..
                    I also make 2-6 or more scrap runs 35 miles one way into the "city" anywhere from a ton to 4 tons a trip
                    Maybe just drive it more than what you have been, when it climbs, i know..pucker factor, when it drops... It might be like the flatbed, just drive thru the climb in temp and see if it cools down without shutting off or stopping... Betcha it acts just like my flatbed

Comment

• saw this at walmart today and thought of this car
                      Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

• Nice! The original crappy blue Nova!
                        Last edited by 74NovaMan; May 28, 2013, 08:35 PM.
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I was up til 1am installing the radio. This is the first time since I have owned the car that it has had a working radio. Very cool.

The temp issue seems to be stablizing. It heated up to 225 this morning and after a couple of miles it dropped to about 175-180 where it ran all the way to work. This has been the program from a cold start for the last 8 trips. 31.5 hours left to work out any bugs.
                          74 Nova Project
                          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Keep driving it!! That 225*F warm up spike is nothing to be concerned about IMO, it's the long haul and then traffic idling that is important.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• This is wierd. I just dropped the Nova off to have someone else work on it. It's only and alignment and exhaust tip install but I almost never let anyone else work on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gy.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	870286
                              Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 26, 2015, 12:09 PM.
                              74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I am the same way. Also lucky to have a good alignment shop right around the corner.
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X