• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 Walter Snow Fighter

Here you go Brian.

Its a 38 model FCKD.

28000lb GVW, the truck weighs 14k empty

517ci 6 cylinder Waukesha gas engine.

10-24 tires, Frink wing box, Heil dump body(no hydraulics though).

Top speed? You guessed it, 30mph.

I'll post more as I go.
    Attached Files

When Brian regains consciousness; he'll surely faint again from disbelief...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Unless Brian uttered the words, "I want it, Kerri". Then he'll regain consciousness in the hospital and Kerri will have "misplaced" a frying pan...
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Needs more gear levers

Comment

Man that is something...... wow.... can't manipulate brain in to coherent thought....... i just need one
          Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal View Post
            Man that is something...... wow.... can't manipulate brain in to coherent thought....... i just need one
            And how does this deviate from the norm?

Cool old truck, though - but what is this "snow" thing?

Dan

Comment

never seen a muffler mounted on top of the cab before. How does the drive line work, there is no hogs head on that rear axel. How many gallons per mile does that thing burn?
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

She's FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!

Can't plow snow at high speed anyway - why make it go fast!

There's a rat rod running around the Kalamazoo area with a waukesha engine in it - max rpm is like 2600.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

All the early Walters had the "exhaust through the hood over the cab" deal. Not sure if it had to do with exhaust pipe in the snow problems.

The driveline is very cool and was patented by Walter back in the 20's. The truck is 4 wheel drive, with a system they called "100% Traction" Both front and rear axles were regular drop axles and the differentials were mounted on the frame, they then had another reduction in the wheel hub.

The front axle is ahead of the transmission but sandwiched between the engine. There is a third differential in the transmission which split the power front to back.

There are no spider gears, instead there are worm gears and this eliminates the classic "one wheel spinning" action. All four wheels will always spin at the same speed, but are not locked together. The one traction-less wheel doesn't have enough oompf to overpower the worm drive so it continues to spin at the same speed as the other three tires. Neat deal.

In the last pic, you can see the worm gear just inside the ring gear.

Sorry about the formatting, I can't figure out how to move the pictures around.
                  Attached Files

Comment

sweet mother of awesomeness - patented in the 20s! simply bangshiftingtastic
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      sweet mother of awesomeness - patented in the 20s! simply bangshiftingtastic
                      x2!
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                      X