No announcement yet.

Langleylads 68 Cougar project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two steps forward , three steps back . One of the problems with working on a tight budget is that you can't buy all your parts at once . Years ago I was able to purchase some of my DSE parts but not everything at once . I purchased the mini tub kit , subframe connectors and two pairs of rear torque boxes . Two pairs to make one pair , the boxes needed to be lengthened to work with the Cougar . So with the modification done and installed along with the connectors and tubs everything looked great . Last forward a couple of years and the purchase of the DSE QuadraLink complete , the last piece of the puzzle . DSE has redesigned the rear torque boxes , much stronger I might add . So today I spent a couple of hours cutting out the old style boxes ( only one side ), damn I did a good job installing the old ones .

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	848.5 KB
ID:	1200618

I visited my local Pick-a-Part today and scored an 98 Explorer 8.8 with limited slip , 3.73 gears , 31 spline axels and disc brakes for $99 . It took me 2 1/4 hrs to pull it . Started cleaning and cutting off the spring perches and sway bar mounts as soon as I got it home . It was a good day .

Comment

• That looks like a very good day indeed! Nice score! Part of the original plan?
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          That looks like a very good day indeed! Nice score! Part of the original plan?
          Originally I planned on a built 9 inch but after some thought I figured that would be overkill and costly . The 8.8 has been getting a lot of press and is more than capable of doing the job . It's a strong unit and a great value . There are lots in the junk yard but many of them are missing the right side axle .

Comment

• Didn't know if there was an original 9 incher in the Cougar....
            I believe that this may lead to the shortage of right side axles: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...8-axle.615710/
            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
              Didn't know if there was an original 9 incher in the Cougar....
              I believe that this may lead to the shortage of right side axles: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...8-axle.615710/
              Cougar's came with a 8" , yes that is the reason alright. Maybe It's just me but it's just a shame because now there are a bunch of incomplete 8.8's sitting in junk yards. I'm going to order a new axle , axle bearings and seals from Rockauto . At least that's the plan .

Comment

• Understood.... I just was imagining that most Fords from that era came with nines... a common misconception?
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• My bros '73 Mustang had a 9" but it was a factory 351 Cleveland 4 speed so I'm guessing that might have been a part of the package.

Dan

Comment

• How is the offset going to work out? Planning to narrow it?
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      How is the offset going to work out? Planning to narrow it?
                      Ya , when you shorten the left side to centre the pinion the difference is approx. 2 7/8 " I believe . Since I'm planning on going with custom wheels (not off the shelf) things should work out (fingers crossed) .

Comment

• Great info here .....

The Ford 8.8 is quite possibly the most DIY friendly rear axles out there. You can find them everywhere in dozens of options and forms, and thy are cheap to ...

Comment

• Deja Vu for me on the axle decision. I went through the same thought process.
                          I was planning on a Ford 8.8 for a long time, but when it came time to start writing checks I ended up going Moser 9. Mostly for convenience and a worry-free lifetime on that part of the car .
                          Love to see new updates on this thing, Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                            Deja Vu for me on the axle decision. I went through the same thought process.
                            I was planning on a Ford 8.8 for a long time, but when it came time to start writing checks I ended up going Moser 9. Mostly for convenience and a worry-free lifetime on that part of the car .
                            Love to see new updates on this thing, Thanks!
                            Thank you ! My original plan called for a Moser 9" with all the good stuff . As the time to start thinking about purchasing a rear end grew near the thought of paying out $4,000 cdn made me think twice. If this project was going to see any track time or if it had a stick , then maybe I'd think differently .

Comment

• Both great options, I divided my rear axle cost into 3 parts. Made it less painful. First I bought the housing and axles. Then the center section, then the brakes.
                              Didn't make it any cheaper, just tricking myself, LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                                Both great options, I divided my rear axle cost into 3 parts. Made it less painful. First I bought the housing and axles. Then the center section, then the brakes.
                                Didn't make it any cheaper, just tricking myself, LOL.
                                I hear ya brother ! what ever works ! lol

I did the same thing with my rear suspension , I bought half and installed it . Then a couple of years later when I go to order the balance , they redesigned part of the kit and part of what I had installed already wasn't going to work ! . No big deal but a pain in the ass just the same ! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X