No announcement yet.

Langleylads 68 Cougar project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version  Name:	EB8B1E0B-5A95-4C12-886B-0477CE0EC6B1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	607.9 KB ID:	1337472 A long awaited upgrade has been the upholstery . It plus a proper alignment and charging the A/C are all that’s holding it back from completion . Of course if I hadn’t started in on the S10 I may have been done but that’s not how my brain works. I was thinking of getting a front seat/ back seat upholstery set from West Coast Classic Cougars but I’d have to wait 6-9 months and spend approximately $1500 cdn and I don’t like the sound of any of that plus WCCC shipping is terrible. If I just reupholstered the seats I’d still have to deal with the old seat foam that’s deteriorating and to replace that it’s even more $$$ . Sooooo I purchased some Procar low backs and built my own mounts. Purchasing Procar mounts would have set me back $300 cdn so I fabbed up my own for $80 . The rear seat needs to be narrowed because of the mini tubs I installed. In the long run I’ll probably end up spending just as much but I won’t have to wait 9 months. Anyhow I installed the seats today and it only took a week to get them.
    Last edited by langleylad; May 20, 2023, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• They look great . And it doesn't hurt the wallet all at once that way . Local upholsterer do the back maybe ?
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
        They look great . And it doesn't hurt the wallet all at once that way . Local upholsterer do the back maybe ?
        Thanks , ya I’ll have somebody local take care of the back. Yesterday I stripped them down to a bare frame and springs . They need to be narrowed a bit to fit between the wheel tubs. I completed altering the bottom frame.

Comment

• The other day my dd’s starter s**t the bed and since the S10 is in the midst of getting new suspension I drove the Cougar to work. Sad to say I haven’t put many miles on this poor thing. I have noticed some whining coming from what I believe to be the 8.8 . It’s a piece I got out of an Explorer in a wrecking yard. Everything looked good so I narrowed it and stuck it in. It has 3.73’s in it and it really is a cruiser and I think I’d rather have 3.55’s . So ya you guessed it, another winter project.
          Last edited by langleylad; November 18, 2023, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
            The other day my dd’s starter s**t the bed and since the S10 is in the midst of getting new suspension I drove the Cougar to work. Sad to say I haven’t put many miles on this poor thing. I have noticed some whining coming from what I believe to be the 8.8 . It’s a piece I got out of an Explorer in a wrecking yard. Everything looked good so I narrowed it and stuck it in. It has 3.73’s in it and it really is a cruiser and I think I’d rather have 3.55’s . So ya you guessed it, another winter project.
            Stanger has a Turbo Coupe rear in it which interestingly is fitted with '86 SVO disc brakes. Anyhow, it's a 3:55 and I really like it for street driving.

Comment

• I put 1100 or 1200 miles on the mustang last week. It's has 4.10:1 I think they might wine a bit but don't fear the gear!

I have also had 3.08:1 in my old mustang it was great freeway flyer.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                I put 1100 or 1200 miles on the mustang last week. It's has 4.10:1 I think they might wine a bit but don't fear the gear!

I have also had 3.08:1 in my old mustang it was great freeway flyer.
                Or LSR car!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Or LSR car!
                  The 79 Capri had an open 2.47! It was a great tire fryer! I never did get to see the true potential of that car before it was parted out/ sold off. Later it had a 3.73. I never put any street miles on that car so I can't speak about the road manners.

Dad's mustang had 3.73 for a while they were great. The 2.73 didn't play nice with the E303 cam I would not recommend that combo.
                  ​​​​​
                  Last edited by Russell; November 20, 2023, 04:57 AM.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• Soon I'll be pulling the 8.8 out and starting in on the gear change 3.73 to 3.55. This rig has a Holley Dominator running the show which really is overkill for this thing . Terminator EFI wasn't released yet when I built the Cougar. I stubbled upon a great deal (i was looking for a great deal actually) on a Terminator X Max so of course I had to pull the trigger on it (the wife may be pulling the trigger soon). Should be a simple swap as the harnesses are the same. I'm hoping it's just unplug and plug in. I want to hang on to the Dominator for another day , they sure have gone up in price. But the BIG project coming up will be a repaint I'm affraid. This was my first attempt at body and paint and it turned out great but while painting the car I had a problem with one door and a fender so I pulled them and finished the rest. Later on I repainted the door and fender and as I learned later from a pro if everything is not the same (air pressure and gun set up) it can really show especially when spraying metailics. Sure enough you can really see it and it bugs the hell out of me. Some say "it's no big deal" well it is to me and that's probably the reason I never drive it. Plus I'm retiring at the end of March and this will give me something to do ! lol
                    Last edited by langleylad; January 5, 2024, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• I'm a big fan of retirement!

Comment

• My advice to Anyone soon to retire.
                        You are going to THINK now that I will have ALL this extra time.....you will build Large To Do Lists. Then you will experience.... Let's Call it Jet Lag, and FEEL like you are Not Getting Anything Done!! Your mind will keep at You, How Can This Be? I used to Work all Week and Get Things Done !!
                        It is you have Built too Big of a Expected "Time Frame" where as when you were working, you accepted if it wasn't done, there will be time later.

Retirement is Great,
                        I'm still learning myself, to LET Off the To Do Plans.....
                        Get on one of my Scooters, or one of my collection of vehicles, and just go for a Ride !!
                        A lunch and ice cream sundae are out there waiting!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                          My advice to Anyone soon to retire.
                          You are going to THINK now that I will have ALL this extra time.....you will build Large To Do Lists. Then you will experience.... Let's Call it Jet Lag, and FEEL like you are Not Getting Anything Done!! Your mind will keep at You, How Can This Be? I used to Work all Week and Get Things Done !!
                          It is you have Built too Big of a Expected "Time Frame" where as when you were working, you accepted if it wasn't done, there will be time later.

Retirement is Great,
                          I'm still learning myself, to LET Off the To Do Plans.....
                          Get on one of my Scooters, or one of my collection of vehicles, and just go for a Ride !!
                          A lunch and ice cream sundae are out there waiting!!
                          Thanks for the wise words, I’m looking forward to it. I’m really looking forward to not getting up at 4:30 am . And having 2 cups of coffee before getting on with my day instead of 1. I truly love my time in the shop as well as getting stuff done around our little home. I have lots of ideas rolling around in my head and I’m in no rush.
                          Last edited by langleylad; January 6, 2024, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X