No announcement yet.

1963 mgb v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the kds were growing up, being Mr. Mom, $$ for hotrods was pretty nonexistant, I rode the big street bikes.. Pretty good power/weight ratios..

Used to say..500cc, 3+ cylinders
    Now
    I say at least 750/3cylinders
    Yep seen some pdq 600cc bikes..
    I like hefty bikes for freeway cruising.. Lighter ones get shook in truck wash..

Comment

Well, I'm moving forward on the project. Here's a more detailed walk-around of the car.

Here we see the cockpit with the standard sports car dash (final product will be wood). Note the pushed back firewall and the slightly enlarged trans tunnel.

A better look at the firewall mod. Note how it protrudes into the driver's footwell. It pushes the pedals to the left like a Ferrari. Plenty of room for a normal sized gas and brake pedal. I will likely integrate a dead pedal for the left foot along or on top of the frame rail.

The transmission and driveshaft tunnel can be seen here. The driveshaft tunnel is untouched and only the bulge from the transmission area has been modified. My preliminary guess is that the area where the transmission and driveshaft tunnels merge will have to be enlarged slightly to accommodate the amount of engine set-back I want.

Fun fact: The MGB used a pair of 6-volt batteries wired together to make 12-volts. They went in these boxes behind the seats. I think it's the future home of fuses, relays and computers. I will probably put an Optima battery in the trunk.

Here's that Chrysler 8-3/4" rear end that was narrowed and installed on the stock springs.

I'm not a huge fan of the way it's attached to the springs, or how tiny the springs are. The good news is that there's a TON of room between the springs and the tires. With a proper off-set, larger in-board tubs and rolled fender lip, I should be able to get a 255 tire back there. It has 215s currently. But, I really want a 4-link and tube frame for the power level I will eventually be at. And even more tire.

The front suspension is interesting and might do fine with a rebuild and stiffer springs to do it's job. The lever-arm shocks are silly looking things though.

And finally, the engine bay. You can see the work done on the firewall a little better. It's only a few inches further back in the corners than stock. The inline 4 actually sat back in there a good ways. The steering linkage has been raised up to clear the driver's side header, but it going to take a little more work to make me happy. The engine will sit as far back and as low as possible.

1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Fairly clean little car.....I can see why it followed you home.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Teasing

And now, the fun part. I was preparing my 6.0L iron block LQ4 for sale because I want an aluminum block 5.3L instead for this project. Lighter weight, can take the 8-10psi I plan for it without modification. Anyway, I thought to myself...why not see how things fit?

Answer: not bad actually.

Now, keep in mind, this is without the transmission installed...so it's only an estimate...but it's looking good. Plenty of room between the steering and where the headers will be. I will probably run a shorty header on this side and run the cross-over in-front of the sump.

Space at the firewall for the transmission bell-housing.

The crank pulley is ALMOST where the notch in the suspension sub-frame is for the stock in-line 4's. I will be running a under-drive LS1 pulley, so it might fit pretty close to perfect.

The heater inlet and outlet on the water-pump won't work. Not a problem since I won't be running a heater. The thermostat housing and water-pump outlet will have to either be revised, or the fender-well will have to be notched.

Plenty of room for the passenger side header. The down-pipe will go through the fender-well near the firewall.

Did I say down-pipe? That means I plan to run a turbo! Now, where on earth could one fit? The answer is a flat spot in the fender that practically screams "put turbo here". I didn't have a turbo on hand, so I improvised.

Sure, a large sauce-pan is a little undersized to represent a turbo, but it's close enough. And taking into account the fact that the fender-well can be notched leads me to believe this is entirely possible.

And yes, I know this is a stupid, crazy plan.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
            Fairly clean little car.....I can see why it followed you home.
            Yeah, the only big body-work issue is with the front and rear valences. Those are easy and cheap to replace outright. I will scrap the rotten stock ones.

Comment

How about a torque arm based three-link. Might be easier to package and certainly has some advantages if you are interested in handling.
              I'm still learning

Comment

Digging the sauce pan turbo. But is it chinese or domestic...
                I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                  How about a torque arm based three-link. Might be easier to package and certainly has some advantages if you are interested in handling.
                  I've thought about that too. This car will actually be pretty close to the stock curb-weight, so handling well is not out of the question.

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                  Digging the sauce pan turbo. But is it chinese or domestic...
                  Oh, it's a domestic sauce pan. After years of being a poor bachelor I've finally thrown all of my Wal-mart specials away and have nothing but the finest in cook-ware.

Comment

Fun fact: The MGB used a pair of 6-volt batteries wired together to make 12-volts. They went in these boxes behind the seats. I think it's the future home of fuses, relays and computers. I will probably put an Optima battery in the trunk.

a few years ago, raybestos did a project truck with Hollywood Hot Rods... used 2 Optima 6 volt batteries in series just like that... thanks for reminding me...
                    Last edited by silver_bullet; May 23, 2013, 06:34 PM.
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

if you need a turbo 400, let me know, I have several.

Though, I am curious... why a turbo 400 why not a 350? they're smaller and take less hp
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 23, 2013, 04:55 PM.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        if you need a turbo 400, let me know, I have several.

Though, I am curious... why a turbo 400 why not a 350? they're smaller and take less hp
                        I already picked up a TH400. I will need it for the power the turbo will make. Especially if I get the back-half done and I get some sort of traction. I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck with the iron block 6.0L, so I might attach the trans this weekend and do some more messing around with the hoist.

Had a 5.3L aluminum long block lined up too...just no buyer for the 6.0L.

Comment

Cool project, V8 sportscars rule! Here's an MGB GT from Irwindale drags last night. Has a healthy ali headed 302 and 5 speed, runs 7.80s in the 1/8.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice, and with those valve covers it looks almost like a Rover V-8.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                              I already picked up a TH400. I will need it for the power the turbo will make. Especially if I get the back-half done and I get some sort of traction. I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck with the iron block 6.0L, so I might attach the trans this weekend and do some more messing around with the hoist.

Had a 5.3L aluminum long block lined up too...just no buyer for the 6.0L.
                              I'm poor, but I know people with money - how much do you want for it? (I'm actually thinking of a friend that's redoing his 77 Corvette... might be able to talk him into it)

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post
                                Nice, and with those valve covers it looks almost like a Rover V-8.
                                way back when (6 months ago), I had the cast iron manifolds to make that swap... still have the long block - my thought is some kind of mini car with a turbo'd 215 Buick motor

btw - the Rover V8 is the same things as the 215 Buick - Rover bought the rights and the bits to that motor in the mid-60s. GM tried to buy it back, but Rover told them to get bent...
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 24, 2013, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X