1963 mgb v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The parts gods smiled upon me today.

First, the motor mounts arrived in the mail.

These are actually pretty cool and once cut down should let me put the motor anywhere I want along the frame rails. They're unibody frame rails, so I will probably have to build a mounting pad out of plate on the frame sides. I think the brackets themselves will have to be reinforced a bit once I get everything located. Not sold on their ability to hold much more than a stock LS1.

Then the transmission crossmember arrived.

Cut to size, weld the feet, bolt feet to frame. But once again, it's a unibody frame so some reinforcement will be required to keep from pulling through the thin metal. Not too worried about it.

Then I hopped into a van and drove 2 hours one way and 1.5 hours back (funny how that works) for these pieces of automotive gold:

Competition Engineering 24" wide back-half frame rails, brand new unused 4-link bars, Ford 9" cutdown with new big ends ready to weld, good centersection, brand new coil-overs without springs. Paid $500. Yeah.

Now I know I'm in over my head.
    Last edited by 1970camaroRS; June 23, 2013, 09:34 AM.
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Did some preliminary measuring and it's going to be hard to keep the rear wheel centerline while also being able to get a seat in the car. There's still plenty of length left for legroom, although it's very narrow. I will probably have to mold the seats into the car and do a removable wheel the ease getting in and out. I will do some more detailed measuring of everything and draw up a set of scale plans to figure everything out. It's going to have to all fit together like a cheap Chinese jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

SCORE!!!!!

Christmas in June.
        I'm still learning

Comment

I dont see why you could not move the rear back a little (or a lot) might have to build a custom fuel cell, but if you are back halfing a car that will not be a big deal.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

I want the rear wheels more or less centered in the arches and there's not a lot of rear over-hang to grow into. I will run a 24" wide cell no matter what, so I'm not worried about that at all. It's just going to be a fun battle of inches to have the engine set-back I want, a 4 link tubbed rear, keep the 91" wheel base AND still be able to sit in the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
              keep the 91" wheel base
              Dang.......my sandrail is 100" and our tub buggy is 86"........you are deep into Jeep CJ wheelbase territory. That car is LITTLE.
              Last edited by STINEY; June 24, 2013, 11:07 AM.
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                Dang.......my sandrail is 100" and our tub buggy is 86"........you are deep into Jeep CJ wheelbase territory. That car is LITTLE.
                Yes, it is very, very tiny. Stock dimensions:

Wheelbase 91"
                Overall length 153.2"
                Track width 49"
                Overall width 59.9"
                Curb weight 2080lbs (dry)

Comment

I'm curious how that compares to an original Shelby Cobra?
                  BTW, AMC Gremlins are short at 96".

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                    I'm curious how that compares to an original Shelby Cobra?
                    BTW, AMC Gremlins are short at 96".
                    Some numbers I found on the 427 Cobra:

Wheelbase 90 in
                    Length 156 in
                    Width 68 in
                    Curb weight 2,355 lb

Pretty similar except the MGB is much narrower becasue of the wheel flairs. The Ace was about 60" wide without the flairs.
                    Last edited by 1970camaroRS; June 24, 2013, 04:29 PM.

Comment

that'll give you about a 10" driveshaft if it's like a cobra.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        that'll give you about a 10" driveshaft if it's like a cobra.
                        Yeah...should almost be able to just attach the tailshaft directly to the pinion gear...

Comment

Did a little numbers work today. Broke out the pad and pen and measuring tape and made me a couple of pretty pictures.

Interesting measurements: 92.5" front wheel centerline to rear wheel centerline. 25" rear wheel center to the back of the seat.

New subframe. 28" from front edge of frame to approximate axle centerline.

Placed the seat in the car and moved it forward until I barely fit. Had to do yoga to get my legs in and out, but the seating position was comfortable.

I marked the back edge of the seat (red/white pen) then I measured from the axle centerline to where the front of the subframe would be. (Black sharpie)

As you can see, I need to work about 2.5" out somewhere. But the good news is I think it will all be able to be worked out.

Comment

I'm starting to slowly come to the conclusion that I will be stretching the wheelbase a bit by pushing the rear wheels back about 6". That will mean I will have to move the wheel openings for aesthetics...not looking forward to that.

Comment

Blotter to the rescue! Same process, just marginally bigger and going rearwards instead of frontwards

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                                Blotter to the rescue! Same process, just marginally bigger and going rearwards instead of frontwards

Yes, and while that one is dealing in feet, I'm dealing with just a few inches. Still not looking forward to it.

Looking at this side profile of a MGB, you can see that there isn't a lot of room to move back, but enough.

My measuring says I have, at the most, 6" to work with. I will probably install the 4-link as close to the seatback as possible and let the axle fall where it may.

Oh, and I found this picture when I was searching for 'side profile MGB' earlier, but this guy is just running leaf springs and no engine setback..
                                Last edited by 1970camaroRS; June 25, 2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X