1963 mgb v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 mgb v8

Now that it's actually in my garage, here's the story. My previous project didn't pan out, so I decided to move on to something smaller and potentially more exciting. Found a MGB that had already been modified for a V8 on Craigslist. Talked the guy down to $500 and the deal was made.

The plan is to swap in my 6.0L Chevy and a TH400 trans. A turbo may or may not be involved. I really want a turbo. There is also talk about getting a 5.3L aluminum junkyard motor to save some weight. Might get a back-half with small tubs and maybe a Mustang II style IFS. The frame will have to be reinforced either way.

Dark green metallic paint and a tan/brown leather interior is the current thought from my wife.

As seen on Craigslist:

Things to note here: the front wire wheels will have to go. The body looks WAY worse in these photos than is reality. The 'wavy' look is actually a mix between primer hues and the camera playing tricks. The hood is not a solid piece of rust, it's actually aluminum and painted red. Also take note of the Chrysler rear wheels...

A Chrysler 8-3/4" has been narrowed and swapped in. It's installed in the stock location on the standard leaf springs. Rear tires are currently 215s with almost 2" more room between the wheels and the leaf springs. There's maybe another half-inch of growing room towards the fend too. Might be able to cram some 245 drag radials back there. Also note the steering wheel, very neat wooden job. It's on a Chrysler something or other steering column too.

Now the fun part! The firewall and trans tunnel have been cut and setback/expanded to fit a Chrysler 318 and auto transmission. My 6.0L and TH400 should fit in there with plenty of room! The guy did a great job too, it's not all hacked up. He also rerouted the steering shaft so that it runs more parallel to the engine and will allow for more header clearance. The downside is that there's a very small foot well and the brake and gas pedal will have to be mounted pretty far to the left. That might be reworked depending on if there's extra space with the engine and trans installed.
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Picked the car up on 5/15/2013. Got three boxes of parts, bumpers, and a pair of seats out of something not MGB. The huge win is that I scored the original rear end with the stock knock-off hubs. Going to clean that up, paint it and try to get a lot of my money back. Doing the same with the convertible top parts and the stock gauges.

Here's us loading it on the trailer. I paid for gas, supplied cigars and an adventure was had.

Comment

This will be fun.
      I'm still learning

Comment

MGC was used for the ones with the inline six - some were sold here. They have a little hump on the front of the hood to clear the long valve cover. MGD was used for the uber-rare Buick/Rover V8 cars which I don't think were sold here but were built at the factory. So maybe this will be an MGE in keeping with the lettering convention?

Dan

Comment

GT V8's were cool. This thing should be amusing. I admit to being kinda partial to the wheels on this one - minilites?

Last edited by Beagle; May 17, 2013, 04:51 PM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Beags - were the V8s only available in the GT? I never gotten a reliable answer on that but I've heard that before.

Dan

Comment

Cool! Before I did my amc I was very close to building a V8 MGBGT. I'm not a convertible fan which is why I like th gt's. either way, it will be a ball of fun.
              The Sebring body kits for those kits are way cool!
              Last edited by mike343sharpstick; May 17, 2013, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Sell the convert top? the road looks wet so I'm figuring it rains in your parts. (I have no idea where) Have a hard top for it?
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Beags - were the V8s only available in the GT? I never gotten a reliable answer on that but I've heard that before.

Dan
                  I think so but then they made the RV8?
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                    Sell the convert top? the road looks wet so I'm figuring it rains in your parts. (I have no idea where) Have a hard top for it?
                    That was the last time the car will ever see rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      I think so but then they made the RV8?
                      V8 was GT only. (I know a guy who's into MG's..)

Here's some info on the V8 MG's
                      MGB GT V8 (factory original) history as shown in magazine articles and other historic documents

Comment

This project is now on hold. Wife is pregnant with kiddo number 2. Stay tuned, it's not going away but the over-all plan might change drastically.

Comment

yes , I haven't gotten anything done in 12 years

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                            This project is now on hold. Wife is pregnant with kiddo number 2. Stay tuned, it's not going away but the over-all plan might change drastically.
                            Congratulations on the kiddoo, bummer on the car. You gotta do, what you gotta do.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                              Congratulations on the kiddoo, bummer on the car. You gotta do, what you gotta do.
                              Not to worry, the new plan I'm thinking up is plenty interesting...even if it will be less powerful. Should still have power to weight ratio greater than a ZR-1 Corvette.

Comment

Working...
                              X