Opinions wanted: Crazy autocross Tahoe idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted: Crazy autocross Tahoe idea

I have this beat '96 Tahoe 4x4. 5.7, 4L60E, 3.73 open axles, front/rear sway bars. After reading so many autocross stories, I got this crazy idea to maybe try it.

My idea:

Lower it with dropped rear shackles, diesel Suburban [bigger?] torsion bars with dropped keys, dropped shocks.

22" Escalade wheels with an appropriate tire.

Urethane bushings in the sway bars front/rear.

Weight reduction: Dechrome, remove running boards, seats, any unnecessary weight, lighter exhaust system, move battery to back storage compartment.

I realise a 2wd Z51 [police] Tahoe would be a better candidate, but I have THIS $350 beater that I have put around $1,000 in making it safe and reliable.

Sounds like fun at any rate...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Al Von; May 21, 2013, 01:59 PM. Reason: d'oh

Garlits or Shelby did a 4wd dakota like this...made it AWD, lowered it....wish I could remeber the details....

Go for it man...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I say why not? .... I've been trying to work a deal on an '01 'hoe w/a bazillion miles on it for the same reason.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

i had a crazy idea like that last week while looking at the tahoe shell in my driveway
        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Do it!!!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Is that a 4WD or AWD system? If it's 4WD, it won't like being run hard on dry pavement. Is there an AWD transfer case from another full-size GM truck that can be swapped in? Maybe a later Denali or something? Don't know the GM stuff very well, so I am just throwing it out there ...

cheers
            Ed
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Lower center of gravity and losing weight would be my two.major concerns for better handling.

Not sure if those 22" Escalade wheels would be useful. They are really heavy. That's a lot of unsprung weight to get moving and stopped when cornering. If Escalde brakes are bigger, I would certainly go that route.

More power to the engine too. DNA Motoring makes a inexpensive turbo kit that will easily get you 550 hp. You would want better valve springs and lifters. The truck ones arent that good for power boost.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Probably your best bet for the AWD system would be to find a front diff from a 2001-2006 denali, escalade, or Silverado SS I believe the front diff is a direct swap. For the transfer case most of the newer ones are electronically controlled. So you are going to want to find an older non-electronic one. also beefing up the transmission will need to be done.
                Sean
                LH 2008,09,10,11,12,14
                Drivin' it home!
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...h-Expectations.
                Some people are like slinkies - not really good for much.
                But they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Comment

If you modify the suspension they make you run in a faster class. Can you make if faster enough to make it worthwhile?

Comment

Wow, lots to think about...

It is 4wd rather than AWD. Has the buttons on the dash for 2H, 4H, and 4L.

I didnt consider how heavy a 22" wheel is. True, that is a bit of unsprung weight to stop & go. There are definitely more 18" Escalade wheels out there on CL than 22's. Not to mention tire prices...

So, modifying the suspension might move me up a class? Well, at 278k miles, I dont think modifying the engine without a rebuild would be wise, or cheap.

Thanks for the replies and food for thought.

Comment

the whole point is making better that it is, anything you do will further that. Excellent idea mostly cause isn't cookie cutter! I like it.

Comment

Only thing I have to add is locking the front diff. Permanently like my Olds Bravada. Then getting a a wheel drive transfer case. I would do 18" wheel for all the reasons you mentioned.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Well 'I haven't been able to get this thing out of my head. I think you might be better of taking all the front drive stuff out except the hubs (c/v joints ,axles, differential ,front driveshaft.) I think the traction they would give you will be offset by all the weight. Get that stuff out and then if you need to you can steer a little with the throttle.If the trannie goes out then the transfer case would get sold and I would put a 5 speed in it or if I had the cash, a T56. The double overdrive would help on mileage too.I wouldn't gut it. It makes it good for only one thing. Unless you were to take out the back seat and make a light weight continuation of the bed up to the back of the front seat. That way it still has two purposes. (pick-up and auto-crosser). Keep us posted .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

If you would take the front drive out, I'm pretty sure the outer CV needs to stay through the hub/bearing to keep it together.

Comment

The tahoe should be like the Bravada. I've had to replace a couple of hubs. They bolt to the spindle. That's the stuff I would keep. The axles and the diff I would take out.C/Vs are basically a flexible joint in the axle. Take it all out. While I do like my wifes Bravada for being all wheel drive the best we've gotten on gas is 17 mpg on the high way from the 200hp 4.3 If I small block one I like the idea of the wheels off a third gen IROC or T/A fitting on without the tires hanging out. I like the torsion bars too.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X