No announcement yet.

1984 SVO Project - track car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasnt planning on DW this year, perhaps i could be convinced to do it next year w/ the wagon. quarter panels are good, have never taken one off....is it a big deal? the gas pedal was bent, think the clutch and brake pedal bracket is also likely bent. The dash is bent up pretty good and not sure if i want to bother with it but a saws all to the cross car beam could make short work of taking the pedals out. Yup going to take axle out and gas tank b/c it has a 255lph pump in it. Dont think i want the axle, but there is some value in the 3.73 5 lug disk as a spare in case i grenade my 4.10s, but its a trac loc diff and i have an auburn diff.

might save the rear hatch too, has some surface rust but maybe someone could use it instead of it going to the crusher.

Comment

I have never done a 1/4 replacement. I have helped take one off a wrecked car at the JY. we would cut the Roof or B & C piller rocker pannel, rear sail pannel and as much of the floor as the custumer wanted / depending oh how hard the car to be fixed was hit. If you are just using the skin you need to remove all the spot welds which sucks. Its more dangerious than hard you can cut a unibody car up pretty easy with a saws-all if you go the quick way supporting the car and catching the 1/4 so it does not get dented when they become two.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

I did a very similiar thing, I purchased one from a JY that had rolled and hit on three corners.
        I'm still learning

Comment

You can use a spare yoke for a plug to keep tranny fluid from marking your pullit spot...

Comment

I went and picked up a pack of trans plugs when I was working on the Capri (it came out a few times) a yoke may work better but the plug was more trouble than it was worth. It slipped out, and caused clearance problems with the fire wall on the way out. Catch it a clean pan filter through a paint strainer reuse.

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Catch Can

The Labbatt Blue catch can was a bit small for the task...on hot days it would overflow. Used that can because it was the celebratory beer that was drank just after the car fired up again. Upgraded to a tall Heineken....not particularly a fan of that beer, but a buddy brought over a 4 pack a few days ago. I used a P clip to fasten it to the inner engine compartment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03615.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	872022
              Last edited by odmarco; August 27, 2013, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Nice work - I was thinking a tall boy on the falcon would be good - at least it would be quick, cheap, and light.

Russel - if you need parts - I could bring them to Dragweek if Marco can get them off in time.

My plan is to have the superduty crew cab and trailer - so there will be plenty of room to haul parts.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

at my work speed I wonder how many years it would take me to R&R a 1/4? Marco is 1/4 removal something you want to attempt? How much for the Right 1/4? I will have to get the tape out and see if it will fit in the fuel mizer.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

I'll have to check and see what's involved with doing the quarter removal. Not sure if i have the proper tools at my place...have electric grinding wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by odmarco View Post
                      The Labbatt Blue catch can was a bit small for the task...on hot days it would overflow. Used that can because it was the celebratory beer that was drank just after the car fired up again. Upgraded to a tall Heineken....not particularly a fan of that beer, but a buddy brought over a 4 pack a few days ago. I used a P clip to fasten it to the inner engine compartment.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24209[/ATTACH]
                      Ha! I've been using a plastic whisky flask for a decade now, the same one which has moved from a road-race bike, to a supermoto bike, to my car.
                      Interestingly, on another thread there was talk about using a bicycle bottle holder setup in an old car w/o cup holders. Got me thinking, that would be a great catch can too, and easy to mount!
                      Last edited by mike343sharpstick; August 27, 2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

New calipers installed, new super DOT 5.1 fluid installed and bleed entire brake system. took around the block to test out the brakes a few times....once they were warmed up I nearly hit the windshield...Hawk blue pads sure have some stopping power to them. I plan on driving to work tomorrow to shake the car down, and then it will be on a trailer friday to head for the track.

Comment

I'm still learning

Comment

Just got back from the track, was a beautiful cloudy day in Michigan. Team at Grattan Raceway did a great job hosting the event, and the 3BallsRacing group really helped out with the few issues i had w/ the car.

PCV must have gone bad as poor little engine was spewing oil all over itself. after a quick run to the parts store i scored a cheapo part (will replace w/ motorcraft part) to keep running for the day. Car held together and definitely made some believers out of the skeptics.

Was really fun to run down and overtake a 2013 mustang track pack (poor man's Boss mustang) and see the look as i passed him by with ~260 less horses and 4 less cylinders. He's a buddy so he took it well.

Felt really bad for the vette's in my group....must REALLY be embarrassing to be passed by a 30 year older car.

I'll go through the car tomorrow and through the rest of the weekend, she needs a bath and cleaning of all the oil from the engine bay and underside of the car. Rotors will need replacement as i could tell the Hawk pads were really working the stock metal.

ah, now i get a breath of fresh air for a few hours and then it's back to wrenching on the car to get her prepared for the last track event of the year in two weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03622.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	872086Click image for larger version

Name:	grattan1.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	872088Click image for larger version

Name:	grattan4.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	872084Click image for larger version

Name:	grattan3.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	872085Click image for larger version

Name:	grattan2.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	872087Click image for larger version

Name:	grattan5.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	872089Click image for larger version

Name:	grattan7.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	872090

Comment

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

great job

Comment

Working...
                                X