Ron's 1969 Road Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron's 1969 Road Runner

I have owned this car since Mother's Day of 1986 and actually drove it regularly until 1996 when I took the engine out and put it in my 1971 Demon. I pulled the engine out of the Demon in 2001 when I sold the car and just recently dropped it back in the old, rusty Road Runner. I will update as I take more pics, but yesterday, I dropped the radiator in the car. The radiator is out of a 1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo and has two big ol' honkin' 12" fans on it. I am going to hook one up to a thermal switch and the other will be on a manual switch. Not too bad of a fit... Here's my Rust Runner...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ron Ward; October 24, 2014, 01:49 PM.
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

More pictures....Please.

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396 View Post
      More pictures....Please.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      I'm still learning

Comment

Ron's a tease.
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Why is it the sight of a slight rust hole just makes me want to see the whole car THAT much more?

Sounds/looks like an awesome project from the sneak-peak.......
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Call it, Ronny's Project Roach Runner :o)

Comment

Love the history .... 'Bout time Ron!

That's when I got the chevelle .... 1986
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Thats it? Thats all we get? A couple pics of a radiator?!! Thats mean. Low. Boooooo.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

There is a bunch of rust to repair in this car.... a BUNCH of rust....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ron Ward; October 24, 2014, 01:50 PM.
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Drum brakes even..

Comment

I used to work at a local machine shop called "The Rod Shop." The proprieter, Rodney Meyer, was a dyed in the wool Mopar guy. When I went to work for him, I had a 1966 VW Beetle that had been slightly modded. On a trip to western Kansas, I beat the main bearings outta the Bug and limped it home. Rodney helped me get the thing back together on a budget, complete with some higher compression slugs & jugs, a VERY healthy TRW camshaft, a Holley Bug Spray manifold and a Carter BBD carb. After we got it all tuned up, we took it to the 1/8th mile dragstrip in Manhattan, KS and laid down some pretty good numbers. Hitler's Revenge pounded out consistent 8.40's @ 85 mph and sent many new Mustangs home on the trailer. Driving that VW whet my appetite for more power and I started looking for a B-body Mopar. I found this car in a barn, just outside of Wamego, KS. It had been there since 1976 and was retired after a life of traveling back country roads as the owner helped build the Jeffrey Energy Center power plant, just north of St. Marys, KS. When I bought the car, it was sans the hood, front bumper, grill, valance and carburetor. The original 383 had filled with water and was frozen solid. After a bit of searching, I scrounged a 400 block in decent shape, honed the cylinders, stuffed in the forged crank from the 383 (necessary with a 4-speed) and rebuilt the original 906 heads. Rodney talked me into slipping a Rhoades cam & lifter kit into the B-engine and I topped it off with the factory intake and a Carter AFB from a 1969 AMC SC/Rambler. That engine lasted 8 years and racked up TONS of miles driving all over Kansas and Missouri. It wasn't stupid slow, running low 14's at 98-99 mph with the 3.23 gears and P245/60R14 radials with me rowing the gears in the A-833. The best part about that engine was it knocked down an astonishing 18 mpg. The low deck bullet finally gave up the ghost during a very high RPM burnout on Christmas Eve, 1994. Ooops... The current engine is a 9.5:1 440 with some old school Silv-O-Lite pistons (circa 1978-81) Rodney had laying around in the shop. I ported the heads, added a forged crank, stuffed in a Mopar purple shaft with .484 lift and 284 duration, added a 780 Holley carb, a Mopar electronic ignition and a set of Hooker headers. With 3.55 gears and P295/50R15 BFG Radial TA's, it ran a best of 12.85 @ 105. Then I bought a 1971 Dodge Demon.... Out came the engine and into the Demon it went. After two years of playing with the A-body, I was able to coax a 11.33 @ 122 out of it with a NOS Power Shot helping to get things moving. That much torque finally shot out the cheap-ass Summit Racing converter I was using. Out came the engine and transmission and in went a bone stock 440 out of my 72 New Yorker. I sold the Demon shortly thereafter to fund a race engine for my then-wife's Valiant... Kids, divorce and buying a home made things difficult to get motivated to put the engine back in the Road Runner. I finally just decided I was going to take some "me" time and started working on it last fall. It's coming together, but it needs a shit-ton of metal replacement due to all the years it spent on gravel roads.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Does that beer really need a coaster being on that car? LOL.Ron,Im glad you are working on it.Its good therapy.Hell you got the garage cleaned up of a Mustang. LOL.Be prepared for sticker shock.But you know enough Mopar people to get stuff.

Comment

Been holding out on us heh? Awesome car! One of my all time favorites.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Great to see another hibernator coming back to life.
                              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Working...
                              X