X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake up the shop did you?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I decided to lower the engine into the engine compartment to see what else hit before trying to hack up the mounts.

Almost everything except the manifolds. The manifolds hit the motor mount brackets and the outlets are lying on the frame rails. I'll need to see if there are manifolds that go more upwards, or at least don't come down as far.

The A/C compressor outlet is inaccessible, too - I might be able to notch or drill the frame to fix that, whenever I try making the A/C work.

Comment

they make headers for this swap..
        holley make manifolds cast iron headers for g bodys and others, with the amount of lsx swaps in 62-87 gm trucks they might make them for this app.
        watch the link I posted in this thread from the powerblock/trucks it explains how to have the stockers clear the frame..

Comment

could see if you can dig up stock manifolds from a F-body or corvette. there has to be some ou there cheap form guys installing headers

actually i do not think i have ever seen a LS1 f-body with stock manifolds there about as rare as a gm w-body with working a/c
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            Your engine might be sitting on six mounts already.
            I think it is.

Comment

where the outlet is hitting the frame is where the trucks guys did the heat and bend... they did some grinding somewhere else I can't remember, but the A/C is a deal breaker! Notch and Box the frame? I'd think a thinner boxed frame would be as strong as the open c channel right there?
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                where the outlet is hitting the frame is where the trucks guys did the heat and bend... they did some grinding somewhere else I can't remember, but the A/C is a deal breaker! Notch and Box the frame? I'd think a thinner boxed frame would be as strong as the open c channel right there?
                a/c hits the engine crossmember

Comment

The compressor isn't hitting the cross member, just has the frame rail in the way of the outlets. As I don't have all the pieces of a stock A/C system, I'll probably remove it until I get the whole thing together.

Comment

After checking a bunch of photos of various manifold installs, I've got a set of 2010 Camaro manifolds on order. They should clear the frame and have a decent chance of clearing the frame stands.

Comment

Got the Camaro manifolds in. They clear the frame GREAT. The engine stands, well, they look like they'll need considerably less hammering, but still not quite right. I'm looking for a set of smallblock engine stands to see what they'd cost me, and decide if I want to replace them or rework what I've got.

Comment

Great news on the manifolds! Interesting development.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The stock engine stands have a bump that hits the manifolds.

I cut the bumpy sections out with a cut off wheel.

I could just weld in a flat plate, but something with compound curves would be more rigid. So, the cut out sections could be flipped and swapped side to side...

It doesn't quite fit...

But a bit more patch pieces and some grinding, and it looks presentable.

Comment

Lowered the engine back in and test fitted the manifolds. It fits a lot better now.

Comment

Problem solved.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Looking good! Eta on fire in the hole?
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X