1972 Chevy C10 with 4.8 LS: Project Chimera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beags is hitting them out of the park today

Either the tank is in the cab or it's not. High pressure fuel lines change NOTHING in the risk profile.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      Okay, here's what I'm imagining... the smell of 7 year old gasoline getting squirted all over the interior. Does that make it any softer?

Easy killers, I'm playing, except for the part where Matt's junk will be running soon and I expect the sound of silence from the garages of "I'd do it this way"

KIDDING!
      well, for your info.. my 71 c-10 has the vortec crate engine waiting in the garage to be fitted with the parts I got this w-end.
      and the admittedly sad 1981 Canada f-body 305 that was in it when I got it from Texas, runs!!! the truck runs moves and does burn outs(no bed on it at the moment).. it's mighty 140hp newtered by the holley 2barrel and god knows how many miles..
      so HA.....!!!!!!!!!!!!.. it may have no balls until the 350 gets dropped in, but it is running.. even if a 4cyl has more hp than it..

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        Beags is hitting them out of the park today

Either the tank is in the cab or it's not. High pressure fuel lines change NOTHING in the risk profile.
        bullshit, if the line lets go or forms an pinhole, the old suction fuel pump on the engine would only suck some air with the fuel. and then when off the fuel wouldn't leak out as the pin hole would kill any chance of it travel'n up hill(sump/pickup). OR siphoning the fuel out.
        But a high pressure pump in the tank and PRESSURIZING that same line, is a fire in waiting, don't know about the pump he has, but I'd expect it holds the psi in the line even when engine is off, to ease of starting. so EVERYTHING CHANGES
        spraying fuel inside the cab with electrical power in the same space as you. is totally different..
        Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; September 30, 2013, 12:35 PM.

Comment

My Cadistang runs too.........and steers.......and stops. Its getting it to do all of them at the same junction in time that is the problem. Fuel tanks in the cab don't scare me either. Sandrails don't even have a firewall on them, and my gas tank doubles as a headrest. Safety police I'm not. Beags is definitely "ON" today, always a fun day when that happens!
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

They are a bit more likely to soak the back of the seat if they spring a leak. I don't like it, but I was trying to get the engine swapped in a hurry. I can always relocate the fuel tank later, and probably will at some point.

Comment

Trick in derby is to wrap hoses with other hoses and duct tape em...
              For peace of mind, maybe try that?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                Trick in derby is to wrap hoses with other hoses and duct tape em...
                For peace of mind, maybe try that?
                I'm considering that - or some sort of fire blanket over the whole gas tank.

On another note, I was pleasantly surprised to find the high pressure power steering line used the same thread on the PS pump on the engine and on the original '72 lines. I had to make a short length of brake line to get it to fit, but that was all.
                Last edited by Matt Cramer; October 1, 2013, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                  bullshit, if the line lets go or forms an pinhole, the old suction fuel pump on the engine would only suck some air with the fuel. and then when off the fuel wouldn't leak out as the pin hole would kill any chance of it travel'n up hill(sump/pickup). OR siphoning the fuel out.
                  But a high pressure pump in the tank and PRESSURIZING that same line, is a fire in waiting, don't know about the pump he has, but I'd expect it holds the psi in the line even when engine is off, to ease of starting. so EVERYTHING CHANGES
                  spraying fuel inside the cab with electrical power in the same space as you. is totally different..
                  You clearly have no concept of a lot of things.

Liquid gas does not magically explode the moment it is exposed to air, and electrical equipment in cabs of vehicles are not making sparks on any kind of regularity. Maybe the cigarette lighter, maybe, and the air fuel mixture has to be just right to light off, which someone would smell the gas well before that point.

Who cares if the line is pressurized even with the engine off? Liquid is non-compressible, if there is zero air in the line, it is pressured up to ~45psi and the pump is turned off. Breaking the line doesn't do anything different than a non-pressurized line. That's even if the line remains pressurized. Mine don't.

If you are building the cab of your truck like Dr. Frankenstein's lab then yeah maybe, but any actual and real cab won't be any more of a fireball waiting to happen with an EFI pump in the tank than it was without.

Comment

Liquid gas does not magically explode the moment it is exposed to air, and electrical equipment in cabs of vehicles are not making sparks on any kind of regularity. Maybe the cigarette lighter, maybe, and the air fuel mixture has to be just right to light off, which someone would smell the gas well before that point.

Who cares if the line is pressurized even with the engine off? Liquid is non-compressible, if there is zero air in the line, it is pressured up to ~45psi and the pump is turned off. Breaking the line doesn't do anything different than a non-pressurized line. That's even if the line remains pressurized. Mine don't.

If you are building the cab of your truck like Dr. Frankenstein's lab then yeah maybe, but any actual and real cab won't be any more of a fireball waiting to happen with an EFI pump in the tank than it was without.
                    ok you have your opinion I have mine, no the wiring don't spark but a short will and 40 y/o wire insulation will not be water/fuel tight. and no . liquid fuel won't magicly light off, and I never said that.. but a pin hole in a line under suction from a pump and the same line under psi are not anyway shape form the same.. the in cab tank (I have two here 1 still in cab and one in my parts stash) have a sender/pickup that like most use an o ring and a hammer on/off(brass or plastic hammer) retaining ring, the lines out of unit have basic nipples and hook to rubber line then to the metal line inside the cab.. both mine have 2 lines one runs through the floor, the other to the pass side upper cab corner then down and out the cab floor.. the cab light wire runs iirc beside the drivers rocker or under the carpet closer to the seat mounts,eitherway that is +12volts in a 40 y/o wire insulation running near tank and righ beside it.. finding a way for that wire to short to the cab when wet is more likely than not.. nevermind the rest of the wiring in the cab and how 60+ psi pushes the fuel when and if something lets go.. no matter if it's blashing off the back of the seat, the roof,you name it. you have a sending unit not soldered to handle the viberations of that intank mounted to sender pump, and a nipple and clamp set up at sender line to rubber and to metal line that no oem would trust with 60 psi..
                    It's not my ass in the truck but I'd hate to read he's in a burn unit because he didn't spent the 139.oo for a 67-72 blazer tank and stuffed it under the bed.. it might never happen, he might drive it thousands of miles like that.. and never have a problem.. I'm not that type of betting man, and if it's not done now,(moving tank to under bed) it never will get done.. even a summit el cheapo fuel cell or that cab tank in a plastic tool/storage box(to keep sunlight off the fuel tank) in the bed would be better..
                    Like I said it's not my ass that will be in that seat, but I'd hate to hear he's got burnt or worse over a few dollars saved..
                    as for having no concept of things, and a line under pressure being no different as a line under suction.. I'm sorry, I have got a very good concept of things, not everything, but I know fuel doesn't burn the vapors do, and unlike your post quoted it doesn't have a narrow a/f mix that only lights off..
                    as far as a line under suction breaking and one under pressure not doing anything different, are you nuts,, RANDAL I respect you, but put a line with a pin hole or crack with a pump sucking on it and see what it does, it'll suck air, now do the same with the liquid under pressure... and watch it spray everywhere.. not even CLOSE to not doing nothing different.
                    again you have your opinion I have mine on the difference in safety. and the difference of a leak under pressure (iirc ls is 60psi) and one with a leak being sucked on.. is so different it's not even funny..
                    yes an underbed tank in a rearend wreck could leak and start a fire, but it's not in an inclosed space with you that you might not be able to get out of, fast or at all.
                    his life, his ass, his safety if he's ok with it. fine. I did my part.
                    for the lousy 25 foot roll of line and an some time to at least move the tank in the cab into the bed. or buy a fuel cell or the blazer tank. I'm sorry I understand being cheap, I do. I have no choice and must try to save , but this isn't worth the 25 buck in line, or the 150 tops to put the blazer tank in. it just isn't, it's being penny foolish. After volunteering at a burn center, I stand firmly on my opinion. no matter how stupid you or anyone else may think it is..
                    Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; October 1, 2013, 09:35 AM.

Comment

He does have a valid point: A leak in a line under positive pressure is going to let somewhat more fluid leak out than one that's being pulled by a mechanical fuel pump. With the stock arrangement, the line is under vacuum and would be more likely to suck up air than leak fluid, as long as the engine's on (it will probably leak a bit of fluid after shutdown, though).

I would say that with brand new hoses and rust free lines, the danger isn't that much greater than stock - not that stock is as safe as I'd like...

One other question - is there a good way to route the stock filler location to an under-bed tank? Or a clean way to add a filler tube to the side that doesn't require actually good bodywork skills? The main concern I have about relocating the tank before starting this truck up isn't cost, so much as time...
                      Last edited by Matt Cramer; October 1, 2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0906clt_03_z+1972_chevy_c10+gas_door_cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	872684
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                          .. I'm not that type of betting man,..
                          I know you're not. You're the most unreasonably pessimistic person on the forum, about practically everyone's projects. I'm not going to argue my facts against your opinions and leaving it at that.

Comment

Russel - got a link to how they did that one?

Comment

Try this:
                              PowerNation TV is America's most watched automotive how-to programming. It is the most credible, highest-rated, longest-running tech content on television. The PowerNation consists of: Detroit Muscle, Engine Power, Truck Tech, Xtreme Off Road (XOR), PowerNation Daily, HorsePower, Muscle Item, Trucks!, and Xtreme 4x4
                              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

You don't have to have a high pressure pump in the cab to smell gas all the time. Just a leaky fill spout coupling or the cab gasket being worn out will leave a lovely reek o fumes in the cab. I had an old Ranger (F100) that smelt like gas after every hard right hand turn.

has a relocation kit, may be the one the Trucks! guys used.
                                Last edited by Beagle; October 1, 2013, 03:36 PM.
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X