1972 Chevy C10 with 4.8 LS: Project Chimera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 Chevy C10 with 4.8 LS: Project Chimera

Here's a build thread on my project truck. I came up with that nickname as it's a big, ugly monster that's pieced together from a bunch of different critters. And it sounds ominous.

So, I've got this truck:

And I'm going to put this in it.

This is going to be pretty much your basic dirtball LS motor swap, except that it is going to be used to test out a couple bits of electronics as well. I'll be posting updates as this goes on.

hairdryer.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Is it in yet?
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

That's a nice truck.

Comment

Ordered the parts to put a TH350 behind a 4.8, and they arrived today. I was getting ready to put them on the motor, and much to my surprise, I realized there was already the spacer there to put a 4L80E or other transmission intended for a Gen 1 SBC. U-Haul must have ordered their trucks set up a bit funny - first time I've heard of a 4.8 with a 4L80E (or maybe they used a TH400 for all I know).

Comment

Nice Chevy. Where is the "big, ugly monster" as described?

Comment

Nice truck.

Is the motor out of a van?
                Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Yes - van based box truck, to be specific.

The truck photographs a bit better than it looks in person. There's rust and dents all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
                    Ordered the parts to put a TH350 behind a 4.8, and they arrived today. I was getting ready to put them on the motor, and much to my surprise, I realized there was already the spacer there to put a 4L80E or other transmission intended for a Gen 1 SBC. U-Haul must have ordered their trucks set up a bit funny - first time I've heard of a 4.8 with a 4L80E (or maybe they used a TH400 for all I know).
                    all of the U-Haul trucks that have come through my dealership with the 4.8l all have 6 speed auto transmissions.

curious to find out what you have to fix if it came from a UH truck
                    Last edited by 1badmonkey; July 5, 2013, 09:09 AM.
                    Charles

Comment

Most, i think all, vans came with the 4l80e even if they had the 4.8
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                        curious to find out what you have to fix if it came from a UH truck
                        They had a lot of smashed trucks and not very many with blown engines, so the service manager started selling off his stock of motors.

Fabricating up some adapter plates:

Comment

Matt where are you putting the MS unit in the truck. if your truck is a/c behind the dash is cramped.
                          I was thinking of the battery tray and move battery in mine but not sure if the heat there would be an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                            Matt where are you putting the MS unit in the truck. if your truck is a/c behind the dash is cramped.
                            I was thinking of the battery tray and move battery in mine but not sure if the heat there would be an issue?
                            Unless you have an MS3 Pro they are not water proof.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

where are you putting the MS unit in the truck...but not sure if the heat there would be an issue?
                              I like the idea of taking out the behind-seat tank and putting the computers and a small toolkit there, there's quite a bit of conditioned space that opens up once the sloshbomb is gone. That's my plan anyway, but given the glacial pace my project is going I'll probably have a Mr. Fusion and anti-gravity drive by the time it's done.

Comment

Working...
                              X