Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

74NovaMan's 66 Mustang GT (Dad's first new car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the donor just a few hours later:

Attached Files
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 14, 2014, 10:01 AM.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Cool project take two and make one, sell whats left over. Look foward to watching
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

In April of 2009 my neighbor and I bought a rotisserie to share on our projects. Here is the car mounted on it and ready to spin:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 74NovaMan; March 28, 2014, 09:30 AM.
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Fast forward to the present and things do not look very different. Over the last 4 years I have started scraping and cleaning the bottom of the car but I still have a long way to go.

Recent developments have resulted in moving this project to active status:
          · With the Nova on the road, it is our only non-running car
          · I have a few dollars left in the car fund to get started (enough to buy the sheet metal I hope)
          · Most importantly, my wife wants it done and I believe that she has even agreed to taking out a loan to that end. (that belief will be put to the test in the next couple of weeks)
          · The ultimate goal, as mentioned earlier, is to Long Haul it on the 2014 Power Tour

Unfortunately, major body work is my nemesis when it comes to large projects like this. I can do it, but I do not have the time or energy at this point in my life. As this is the first logical step on a project like this I will obviously need help. To that end, I have an appointment this Friday with a really good body guy who is just getting started with his own shop. I am hoping to get a ballpark cost, finalize my shopping list and get on his calendar.

I am hoping to get both shells and all the sheet metal moved from the back corner of the garage tonight so that we can get a good look at everything on Friday. If I’m on task I should have a few fresh pictures tomorrow.
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
            I have an appointment this Friday with a really good body guy who is just getting started with his own shop. I am hoping to get a ballpark cost, finalize my shopping list and get on his calendar.
            Are you ready for a big fat number on that, the materials alone are expensive these days!

Comment

I have already gotten a quote from NPD for the following:

2 Full Quarters
              2 Door Shells
              2 Outer Wheelhouses
              2 Trunkdrops
              2 Fenders
              Hood
              Deck Lid
              Front & Rear Valence
              Master Body Hardware kit
              Splash Shield Kit
              Door Hinge Rebuild Kits

$2,062 delivered to my door.

This is using the "Better" reproductions where available. Some items, fenders for instance, have a base repro, better repro and Ford tooling ($$$$). My total hypothetical budget at this point is about $17,500. I am hoping to get body work and paint (including materials) completed for 5-7K over and above the new sheet metal cost. Let me know if you think that sounds realistic. Thanks.
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Basically the body shop material costs have gone way up in the past few years, especially for the big brand names like PPG. People that have done projects like this (even DIY guys) a decade ago are surprised at the current cost of body and paint materials.

Obviously it depends on how much of a good-guy deal you get on labor to, I would say it could easily go over $7,000. That said, if you get a good labor deal, the guy is fast, and the steel is in very good shape you may be OK in the range you have stated.

Comment

Mike - I'm figuring $2,000 for paint and supplies and hoping to help with the labor. I'll certainly let everyone know how it pans out.
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Here is the current condition of the floor (underside) including the holes to be patched:

Attached Files
                    Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 14, 2014, 10:02 AM.
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

The holes in the floor are outside the stamped area so I am hoping to just use some sheet metal scraps for these.
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Nice! Looks solid, if you can do some of the body work yourself that's a huge savings!
                        Any reason you don't take the body to get media blasted (sand or otherwise), and save a few zillion hours of sanding?

Comment

The engine compartment should clean up nicely with a light sandblasting.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 74NovaMan; March 28, 2014, 09:31 AM.
                          74 Nova Project
                          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                            Nice! Looks solid, if you can do some of the body work yourself that's a huge savings!
                            Any reason you don't take the body to get media blasted (sand or otherwise), and save a few zillion hours of sanding?
                            I have a 5hp, 60 gal compressor and a pressurized sandblaster I am planning to put to good use before delivering to the body guy. I may look at farming that out though, if it makes sense. I will have to remove the thick chunks myself one way or the other. Stay tuned for the roll on bedliner pics.
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Nice project, what are you going to do to it as far as engine and so on? Definitely lower the upper control arms, it does wonders in how the car drives! Down 1" and back 1/8" it's called the Arning or Shelby drop.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

One of the previous owners decied that a roll on bed liner was a great idea as under coating and rust prevention. The entire interior floor including the trunk has been coated. This stuff is incredibly tough and hard to remove. I'm OK with it under the interior carpet but I need to remove it from the trunk area. The other spots that were treated were the front suspension sheet metal areas. The pics below show the right side which has not been worked on and the left (drivers) side which I spent a few hours cleaning up. I willl probably strip these areas to bare steel. Any tips for removal of this crap are welcome!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by 74NovaMan; March 28, 2014, 09:31 AM.
                                74 Nova Project
                                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                                X