Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

74NovaMan's 66 Mustang GT (Dad's first new car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    Thanks Bob! We had a blast and were very relaxed about the whole trip once we were underway. Sorry about busting your chops so much!
    My chops are made to be busted! ..

Comment

• Ordered new window regulators today. Hope to get the car washed and the oil changed this weekend. We might even try the factory carb again now that the other variables are sorted.
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• did you get the manifolds to seat so you can set the tabs now? glad you had no major issues! it was great meeting you and your better half!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          did you get the manifolds to seat so you can set the tabs now? glad you had no major issues! it was great meeting you and your better half!
          Thanks for the reminder Patrick. I've added it to the list. I did snug them up a couple of times on the road. It was very nice meeting you and your crew at Lars place. Tell Tammy and Sean we said Hi!
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• They said Hi back... more Mustang, or time to go back to the Nova?
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Little bit of both. We need to get the carb off the Mustang for the Nova so we can drive it again. Hoping to avoid buying a new carb.
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Fantastic on all levels - thank you so much for taking us along for the ride and allowing us to live vicariously through you two.

overflowing tanker trucks of WIN!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                  Fantastic on all levels - thank you so much for taking us along for the ride and allowing us to live vicariously through you two.

overflowing tanker trucks of WIN!
                  Thanks - The whole thing is a bit overwhelmingly cool when we stop to think about it! Glad you enjoyed the ride.
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Finally washed the car tonight. Need to clean the interior and change oil tomorrow. Added a little detail tonight after the bath.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by 74NovaMan; June 20, 2014, 06:54 PM.
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I just posted this in the Tech Section:

While building the Mustang we found a numbers matching original rebuilt carb. It looks fantastic but works like crap. In the interests of getting the car roadworthy we borrowed the Edelbrock 600 CFM electric choke carb off the Nova. This carb has been working great for the last 3,800 miles. This weekend I messed with the carb we bought recently as well as the one dad bought 25 years ago. Both seem to be dumping fuel from the primaries at idle. The engine won't idle and the carb gasket is soaked. Historically, I have not had much talent when it comes to working with carbs. I also have a large list of things to catch up on that were ignored while the Mustang was top priority.

In the next couple of days, I will be ordering a new Edelbrock electric choke carb. The original carb on the Mustang was an Autolite 4100 480 CFM. The engine has the stock 4 bbl manifold, stock exhaust manifolds, 9.5:1 compression and an Edelbrock performer cam. I am leaning strongly towards a 500 CFM carb but considering a 600. Let me know what you think.
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Good call on a new carb , I'd go with the 500 . I'm sure you're not all caught up in the numbers matching thing and I'm not either . With the air cleaner on you can't see whats under it anyhow . Slap on the new carb , shut the hood and enjoy your new ride that's what your dad would do !.

Comment

• I run a Holley 600 cfm on all my cars with great luck set them once and go. P
                          Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                            I just posted this in the Tech Section:

While building the Mustang we found a numbers matching original rebuilt carb. It looks fantastic but works like crap. In the interests of getting the car roadworthy we borrowed the Edelbrock 600 CFM electric choke carb off the Nova. This carb has been working great for the last 3,800 miles. This weekend I messed with the carb we bought recently as well as the one dad bought 25 years ago. Both seem to be dumping fuel from the primaries at idle. The engine won't idle and the carb gasket is soaked. Historically, I have not had much talent when it comes to working with carbs. I also have a large list of things to catch up on that were ignored while the Mustang was top priority.

In the next couple of days, I will be ordering a new Edelbrock electric choke carb. The original carb on the Mustang was an Autolite 4100 480 CFM. The engine has the stock 4 bbl manifold, stock exhaust manifolds, 9.5:1 compression and an Edelbrock performer cam. I am leaning strongly towards a 500 CFM carb but considering a 600. Let me know what you think.

See my post in the tech section. Don't blow $300 on a carb when all you need is the floats adjusted.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                              See my post in the tech section. Don't blow $300 on a carb when all you need is the floats adjusted.
                              I saw your post a while back. Unfortunately, I recognized myself as that guy. If I thought the float level was the only variable, I'd figure it out. My suspicion is that that is just the tip of the iceberg and I am out of time and energy at this point. This is also the only reason I am leaning toward a 600 cfm carb as I plan to figure out the original carb over the winter and the new carb (if its a 600cfm) will be a good backup (or primary) for the Nova. The other strong possibility is that the new carb will work very well and I'll just keep it on the car.
                              74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I am a firm believer in the Edelbrock as a daily driver friendly carburetor - they are much better at the "set it and forget it" option, and (like a quadra jet) they don't have any gaskets under the fuel level - so are much less likely to leak.
                                The last two 600 edelbrocks I got used for $25 each, rebuild kit was $35.
                                With all the detail work you've done on this car - a carb rebuild should be a breeze. The tuning guide for the edelbrock is excellent.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X