Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

74NovaMan's 66 Mustang GT (Dad's first new car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    With all the detail work you've done on this car - a carb rebuild should be a breeze.
    Thanks. We're just out of gas at this point. (figuratively) Need a quick fix to get the Nova back in service. I ordered a 500cfm Edelbrock from summit yesterday.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• let us know how it works out!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

Thanks. We're just out of gas at this point. (figuratively) Need a quick fix to get the Nova back in service. I ordered a 500cfm Edelbrock from summit yesterday.

I misread your post over there. I thought it was the Edelbrock that was leaking. Autolites are finicky carbs. The reason you don't see many anymore. Personally, I would've gone with the 600, but the 500 will do you well. It will have very crisp throttle response.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• You got the right size. The 500 works very well especially on a near stock motor. I had a used 600 cfm electric choke model. They are set up leaner then the manual choke. I'd suggest getting the tuning kit. I had to richen up my carb. Recently I picked up a 600 manual choke used dirt cheap that was like new. That runs great.

The 4100's are a preferred carb on the Mustang forum not because of any number matching BS but simply they run so well and get very good fuel mileage. Guys will get well over 20 mpg even with non stock motors. The 480 cfm bring good money What makes the 4100 great carbs is that they have annular venturis that atomize the fuel better then the typical down leg booster Holley use in most applications.

There was a guy on the forum who had a built 347 in his 66. He had it at his friends chassis dyno. He made more power with a 650 Holley that his friend had over the 750 Holley he had on it.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• We've done a little on the car in the last month. Installed the drivers window regulator and the new carb. The new carb needs a little adjustment but works fine for now. We replaced the transmission modulator and snugged up the oil pan and plug. We were getting some pretty big puddles of both trans fluid and oil before that and we are just down to a little bit of oil from the rear main now. Dad reports that the car leaked a bit from brand new so I'm not going to worry about it too much for now. Here is the factory air cleaner installed on the new carb. I still need to paint the air cleaner base.

Attached Files
            Last edited by 74NovaMan; July 23, 2014, 05:52 PM.
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• In other news, I finally figured out how to shift the C4 auto in the car. After 3,800 miles I noticed that the car seemed to be starting in 2nd and going to 3rd. If I pulled it down into 1st it would hold until I shifted to second and then it would shift to 3rd without moving the shifter. After consulting the manual, the normal operating position for the gear selector is 2nd. What I think of as the normal drive position is actually for slippery road conditions and starts the car in second. As you might expect, it takes off a lot quicker using 1st gear.
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• We looked at a 48 Ford that is for sale for $2,500 literally around the corner from our house. It was left as collateral for a 460 and been in a barn for decades. Absolutely complete with the original flat head. We decided that we did not need a project of that scale right now.

Attached Files
                Last edited by 74NovaMan; July 23, 2014, 06:06 PM.
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• We helped our neighbor sell a 75 Lincoln Mark IV this week. $475 on Craig's List in about 48 hours. Thought about buying it ourselves for a flip as it is a neat car, but we were just not interested and the market is limited.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by 74NovaMan; July 23, 2014, 06:11 PM.
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• The big news is that we sold the leftovers of the mustang project to some folks who are 4 hours from here. The bought it based on the pictures on Craig's List and mailed me a cashiers check 2 weeks ago. They picked it up today and bought some other stuff I had laying around. The stuff:

Attached Files
                    Last edited by 74NovaMan; July 23, 2014, 06:17 PM.
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• My reclaimed space:

Attached Files
                      Last edited by 74NovaMan; July 23, 2014, 06:18 PM.
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Down the road:

Attached Files
                        Last edited by 74NovaMan; July 23, 2014, 06:19 PM.
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• [QUOTE=74NovaMan;n954112]We helped our neighbor sell a 75 Lincoln Mark IV this week. $475 on Craig's List in about 48 hours. Thought about buying it ourselves for a flip as it is a neat car, but we were just not interested and the market is limited.

Well that certainly would have been a good starting point for the upgrades to the Mustang

Comment

• that old ford coupe was neat. the lincoln. it was ok. 75 = smog era bleh
                            Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Originally posted by Shelty View Post
                              that old ford coupe was neat. the lincoln. it was ok. 75 = smog era bleh
                              All you need (want) is the block!

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                                My reclaimed space:

hey ! do you want to sell those tires ? oh ya and those rakes ?
                                Last edited by langleylad; July 23, 2014, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X