2003 Silverado 2500HD "TowMater"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Silverado 2500HD "TowMater"

so 2 days ago i traded in my 1997 grand prix it was going to need some work and the icing ont he cake was some drunk at my work plowed right intot he driver rear quarter of the car blowing out the back window and bending in the driver rear strut tower. so took out a loan to help my poo credit for $9,000 and bought this

a 2003 Silverado 2500HD ext. cab short bed 4x4 with the 6.0L LQ4. has 105,000 miles on and 2800 running hours. has a flowmaster catback put on and the muffler is so tiny it does not muffle any thing LOL

also dug out the build codes from the truck is seems to be well optioned and looks like it was originally suppose to be a plow but was never done

AE7-Seats, front 40/20/40 split-bench, 3-passenger
    AG1-Adjuster FRT ST Power, Multi-Directional, Driver
    AJ1-Windows Deep Tint, All Except W/S & Front Door
    AM7-Seat, rear full-width folding bench
    AU0-Remote Keyless Entry, extended-range
    AU3-Door locks, power programmable
    A31-Windows - Power
    B30-Floor Covering – Color Keyed, Carpet
    B32-Floor mats, color-keyed and carpeted front
    B33-Floor mats, carpeted rear seat
    B71-Wheel flares, front and rear, large, body-color
    B85-Moldings, bodyside, color-keyed
    CJ3-Air conditioning, dual-zone manual climate control
    C49-Defogger, rear-window, electric
    C6W-GVWR, 9200 lbs. (4173 kg)
    DF5-Mirror: I/S, Rearview, Electrochromic, Compass and Outside Temperature
    DK7-Console, Overhead – Bench Seat W/O Sunroof
    DPF-Mirrors, outside rearview, power adjustable, heated, power extending, turn indecators
    E2C-ORDER TO DELIVERY EXPEDITE TO CUSTOMER
    E63-Fleetside / Wideside Pickup Box (6 1/2 Foot And 8 Foot)
    FE9-Emissions, Federal requirements
    FT2-Arm LH Torsion Bar Spring Adj (FT2)
    FT3-Arm RH Torsion Bar Spring Adj (FT3)
    F60-Provisions-Increased Torsion Bar Rate
    (side note LOLz) GMC-Plant Code Pontiac, MI, USA
    GT5-4.10 axle gears
    G80-Differential, Zexel-torsen, limited-slip, rear
    HVY-Identification 2 Inch Body Raise, H.D. Model
    JH6-Brake HYD Power, 4 Wheel Disc, 9, 900 LBS
    KC4-Cooling, engine oil, auxiliary, heavy-duty oil-to-coolant
    KG3-Alternator, 145 amps
    KNP-Cooling, external transmission oil cooler, auxiliary, heavy-duty air-to-oil
    KUP-Throttle control, electronic
    K05-Engine block heater
    K34-Cruise Control: Automatic, Electronic
    K47-Air cleaner, high-capacity
    LQ4-6.0L V8 Gasoline Engine SFI GEN III
    MT1- Transmission – 4 Speed Auto W/Elect Controls H.D. (Hydra – Matic 4L80 – E
    NA4-Emission System: GVW Above 8500 lbs
    NP1-Transfer Case – (Electric) – Full Range
    NP5-Steering wheel, leather-wrapped, color-keyed
    NT9-Emissions, Federal, Tier 2 Phaseout
    NZZ-Skid Plate Off-Road
    PDD-Rear Power Package
    PY0-Wheels, 4 – 16″ x 7″ (40.6 cm x 17.8 cm) 8-lug forged aluminum
    QIW-Tires, LT245/75R16E on-/off-road, blackwall
    R9U-CONTROL SALES ITEM NO. 95
    R9Z-CONTROL SALES ITEM NO.100
    SAF-Tire carrier, outside spare, lockable
    SLL-SALES PROCESSING SOLD ORDERS
    TP2-Provisions For Dual Batteries
    TRW-Provisions-Emergency Roof Mounted Lights
    TR3-Grille, color-keyed surround with chrome accent bar
    T96-Fog lamps, front (MSRP = $125.00)
    UB0-Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player
    UK3-Steering wheel controls, mounted audio, Driver Information Center and cruise controls
    UQ3-Audio system feature, Bose premium 8-speaker system
    UY2- Trailering wiring provisions, for camper, 5th wheel and gooseneck trailer
    U01-Lamps, 5 amber roof marker
    VB3-Bumper, rear, chrome step
    VG3-Bumper, front chrome with body-color lower
    VR4-Regular production accessory, Towing Package, extension that inserts into vehicle cross member and accepts 1.75″ – 2.25″ (4.45 cm – 5.72 cm) ball (ball not included) (SPO-supplied; dealer installed)
    VXS-Vehicle Complete
    VYU-Provisions, Snow Plow Prep
    V73-Vehicle Statement US/Canada
    XGK-Tire Front LT245/75R16/E BW R/PE ST TL OOR 120Q
    X88-Conversion Name Plate — CHEVROLET
    YD3-Differential, driver-selectable locking rear
    YD6-Rear Spring, Base Equipment
    YE9-Uplevel Decor
    YGK-Tire Rear LT245/75R16/E BW R/PE ST TL OOR 120Q
    YZ1-PAINT PROCESS SPECIAL, REVIEW
    Z82-Trailering equipment, heavy-duty
    Z85-Chassis Package Increased Capacity
    1SB-PACKAGE OPTION 02
    1SZ-DISCOUNT OPTION PACKAGE
    11U-Primary Color Exterior, Pewter Metallic
    6GK-COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (6GK)
    69D-TRIM COMBINATION CLOTH, VERY DK PEWTER (D)
    69I-INTERIOR TRIM VERY DK PEWTER
    7GK-COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7GK)

the aluminum rims it is suppose to have are no longer on the truck it seems to just have some steel ones now. plans so far is to get parts and drive it with do some little things hear and there. and so far it's better better MPG then my grand prix was LOL
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

nice
    when's the front Dana 60 swap and 44s going to happen?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

probably never as i am short (practicly a vary tall midget) and getting into it is hard enough as is LOL

my grandpa did ask though "why the hell did you buy a heavy duty 3/4 ton???" answer it was cheaper then the 1/2 tons they had and has less miles got to love the economy and people caring about fuel economy lol

the one thing that is bugging me to no end about the truck is how the exhaust is set up just sticking out there floating under the bumper.... bugs me need to figure out a better way to route it or at least tuck it up closer to the bumper and get some tips on.
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
        probably never as i am short (practicly a vary tall midget) and getting into it is hard enough as is LOL

my grandpa did ask though "why the hell did you buy a heavy duty 3/4 ton???" answer it was cheaper then the 1/2 tons they had and has less miles got to love the economy and people caring about fuel economy lol

the one thing that is bugging me to no end about the truck is how the exhaust is set up just sticking out there floating under the bumper.... bugs me need to figure out a better way to route it or at least tuck it up closer to the bumper and get some tips on.
        just give up now and look for a 60 it always starts with exhaust
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          just give up now and look for a 60 it always starts with exhaust
          Yep.. True enough..
          Did a muffler replacement on the 'Burban..
          Now I'm doing brakes and swaybar out back..
          Next is front brakes and bearings
          Then tires
          Then whatever it needs!
          Never ending....

Comment

Be nice if it weren't BROKDWN.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
              Be nice if it weren't BROKDWN.
              Needs new plate... FIXUPR

Comment

LOL

yeah i am doomed

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post

Back in Feb our Subie shit the ring gear (how does a underpowered 4cyl automatic do this?). We had no option but to go out and not come back until we had a new old car. The dealer had a 04 extended WB Trailblazer with a tow package or a Toyota shit box mini SUV same year for $5K more. Wife and I were both on the same page, that $5K will buy an awful lot of gas!
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

yeah!

well filled the truck up and wile driving like a normal person going to work and getting parts i have averaged 14mpg. if i want to hear the exhaust though i bet it will drop horribly

Comment

Cars sure do rot quick up there....is that cab corner as bad as it looks in the pic?
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

yes and this is is really nice for an 03. most 03s i see are rotted out something fierce

but the cab corners on there trap salt so easy. the bottom of both rear doors are also a bit rusty but nothing horrible. need new bottom strikers on both doors as they stick do to the rear doors never being used and rust built up on them

and before some one says any thing i noticed the melted plastic of the battery and the fuse box lid looks like some one set something hot on them as the battery is fine even with all the lights on and full electrical load
                        Last edited by Mater; August 19, 2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

i have also ordered nerf bars local store napa found some that attach bu the cab mounts and are made for the 2" taller HD frame

Comment

That is a nice truck - I drove one with the 6.0 / Allison that would pull 17mpg pretty regularly. I hated the program on the transmission but otherwise it was about like my experience with late model GM. I wonder if they had it tuned for a 4.8 because it would downshift driving over a match book and didn't need to. Enjoy!
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              That is a nice truck - I drove one with the 6.0 / Allison that would pull 17mpg pretty regularly. I hated the program on the transmission but otherwise it was about like my experience with late model GM. I wonder if they had it tuned for a 4.8 because it would downshift driving over a match book and didn't need to. Enjoy!

Ditto! That is a nice truck! You did well. My Trailblazer with the 4.2 I6 is doing the same on gas as your 6.0. When I first got it it would only do 12 MPG. But then the check engine light came on, bad thermostat. With the new Tstat, I can do 17 MPG on the hiway if I keep it below 70. Doesn't take to much to do worse.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X