'69 Rambler American Wagon Low Budget Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '69 Rambler American Wagon Low Budget Build

Hey guys, haven't been here since it was Freiburger's Junkyard, place is looking good!

I unloaded the Scamp 340 clone I had built about 16 years ago and built a family car...

Started with '69 Rambler wagon that had been in storage for about 10 years. Extremely solid car with 90% original paint and a 232 auto. It ran great, but the Borg Warner auto was not long for the new world, which forced my hand...

Now has a '95 Jeep 4.0, Aisin Warner overdrive auto(AW4), narrowed Exploder 3.73 limited slip 8.8, Crown Vic police front discs, doubled spring rates, poly bushings, KYB's, and 16x7 Grand Marquis wheels with used Potenza's. Grand total of about $2k in parts, what a difference!

Be happy to answer any questions, figured you all might be a bit more interested in a gravel driveway wrecking yard parts build than some of the other forums around here...
    Attached Files

very cool! Did you pull the entire wiring harness and PCM from the jeep as well so the EFI runs as it did from the factory?

What sort of work did you have to do to marry the crown vic discs on the front?
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

That is fantastic.

Was that on the salt this year? I saw something like that and told my buddy Scott that it would be perfect to drop our EMC hemi in.
      I'm still learning

Comment

All stock Jeep harness and ECU/Trans controller right now.

Crown Vic calipers were mounted using a bracket between the spindle and knuckle, AMC's are cool like that, see attached.

It was on the salt, here's some links to more pics/video.

Attached Files

Comment

Dude! Next time come look me up in Impound. After the weekend I usually have time to chat.

Cool little car! Is the engine a bolt-in (other than the electronics)? I don't know how consistent AMC was thruout the years.

Dan

Comment

those vic wheels look right at home on it...cool little car!
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

cool car, certainly outside the box
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Dude! Next time come look me up in Impound. After the weekend I usually have time to chat.

Cool little car! Is the engine a bolt-in (other than the electronics)? I don't know how consistent AMC was thruout the years.

Dan
                ECU only requires 5 wires to run. 12V, Ignition on, Ignition on/run, 2 wires to the fuel pump. I used a returnless rail engine with a '88 Ford Bosch external fuel pump and a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 filter/regulator.

The Jeep 4.0 block casting retained the early motor mount bosses, the '69 232 mounts bolted right up! I bolted a Mopar 904/727 auto trans mount directly to the trans and re-used the original trans crossmember, moved back and down in the chassis. Junkyard Fairmont driveline. Used the factory column shift linkage too. It was way too easy.
                Last edited by Samaleshi; August 23, 2013, 03:34 PM.

Comment

This is great!

Comment

Originally posted by Samaleshi View Post
                    ECU only requires 5 wires to run. 12V, Ignition on, Ignition on/run, 2 wires to the fuel pump. I used a returnless rail engine with a '88 Ford Bosch external fuel pump and a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 filter/regulator.

The Jeep 4.0 block casting retained the early motor mount bosses, the '69 232 mounts bolted right up! I bolted a Mopar 904/727 auto trans mount directly to the trans and re-used the original trans crossmember, moved back and down in the chassis. Junkyard Fairmont driveline. Used the factory column shift linkage too. It was way too easy.
                    Way to go to be inventive and creative instead of spending big bucks.

BTW, that interior is the perfect color if the kids or the dog get car sick. No one will ever notice.
                    Last edited by Scott Liggett; August 23, 2013, 04:33 PM.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Love the sleeper look...
                      Mpg? 20's??

Comment

Great project, love it!

Comment

That is freakin' awesome!
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Awesome Wagon, very creative. Well done.
                            Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              Love the sleeper look...
                              Mpg? 20's??
                              It got around 19 with about 500lbs of camping gear and a couple people in it on the way to the salt. Don't know what it is empty yet. Weighs about 500lbs less than a Cherokee, should be low 20's highway.

Comment

Working...
                              X