Tetanus, The Saga Continues....again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tetanus, The Saga Continues....again.

So as stated in July, I have decided to get my ass in gear and get the old beater running and driving again. It is a busy time of year for me so progress will not be as fast as I would like...but as far as I am concerned, progress is progress.

here is a link to some pics and video....

For those who are unfamiliar with Tetanus; she is my 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury.

It is a rusty, cancer infested POS but pride and lack of moeny for anything nicer keeps me from sending it to the scrap yard.

I cannot find the previous thread so I decided to start a new one.

Rond Ward and I tossed some jabs at eachother this weekend over who had the rustiest mopar on the forum. After seeing his pics I am convinced we are in a dead tie.

This was after an hour of hammering, shipping, ripping, tearing and screaming at the previous owners for sucking out loud.

I cant post anymore as my computer sucks a fat donkey dong. This is just a taste of the awesome I have to work with.

So, this weekend I stripped old bondo, tin and rivits and about 20lbs of scale rust from the car. I rebuilt the 750 Holley and shimmed the Mallory distributor. The car turns over and will most likely start but I need a fuel rail and a few other ods and ends before I fire the engine.

I've had offers to help patch the panels and other folks have tossed their hats in the ring to lend a hand when needed to get this project rolling. I have some metal out back that came from a 65 that will work an a base. I figure I can burn these in and then fill in the gaps with whatever steel I can get my hands on. (I have a spare door that will be disected)

I dont want or need perfection. I just want the holes gone. If that requires tin, rivits and bondo to make it happen then so be it. However, I would rather some metal burned in and bondo to finish it out that practicing the art of Pennsylvania Hillbilly Body Work....
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; September 3, 2013, 07:25 AM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

That's the ticket, Joe! Get some solid base in there and smooth it with filler. I've done a ton of those repairs and they held up well.

Dan

Comment

ya know, if you primer it black, the holes will nearly disappear
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        ya know, if you primer it black, the holes will nearly disappear
        I dunno, I think it would make the sun shining thru the holes more obvious lol!
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          I dunno, I think it would make the sun shining thru the holes more obvious lol!
          yet every time you drove it at night, you'd never notice the holes.... now you notice them day or night
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

A cheap Mig welder and some sheet metal... and a lot of time... Story of my life. I like body work because it doesn't really cost anything to get the initial phase completed other than your time. Your Plymouth is kinda scary though, but at least the doors aren't falling off. Cursing the PO is a good cathartic exercise, then start cutting and welding.
            BKB
            www.FBthrottlebodies.com
            Bruce K Bridges

Comment

I think this is a great plan. Rivets and bondo held my lower quarters on for years. I still have one spot on my rear quarter that has about a half inch of bondo in it. I couldnt afford a full quarter panel at the time and you still can't tell 12 years later. Do what you can with what you've got and it will make all the difference in the world.

Comment

I'd like some folks to weigh in here.

I have a welder, it is a MIG but can also run flux core. I dont have the extra coin laying around for a tank so if I do any welding it will have to be flux core. Also, Jim has offered (yet again) to help burn some metal in.

The first thing I need to do is rebuild the trunk floor extensions. I am thinking that aside from being sloppy and a bitch to clean, there is no reason I cant just burn in some metal with the flux core wire? It would be better than just riviting on tin and slapping mud everywhere.

What say you? Any beef with usign flux core?

Comment

I usually stitch weld sheet metal, and I think that stitch welding with flux core isn't gonna work too well...but then, I've never tried it.

My guess is you'll burn a lot of holes and get frustrated quickly. Suggest you try it on some scrap pieces and see how it works.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Flux core wire sucks it Joe - hold out for the bottle. I'm not a good weldor but I'm a lot worse with flux core wire. I'm not even sure what good it is, I blow holes in everything with it. I only say this because I know this car has frustrated you in the past and I don't want to see the welder become the reason for it now, if you know what I mean.

Fitting the stuff up will take a bunch of time if you need to do something while you save up. I gotta say, just staying out of Hooters has personally benefitted my account a ton. Maybe there is something you can hold off on that will get you the bottle money faster than you think?
                    Last edited by Beagle; September 4, 2013, 08:15 AM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      I usually stitch weld sheet metal, and I think that stitch welding with flux core isn't gonna work too well...but then, I've never tried it.

My guess is you'll burn a lot of holes and get frustrated quickly. Suggest you try it on some scrap pieces and see how it works.
                      I have some scrap I can fiddle with. I know when I tried to weld with the el-cheapo unit from harbor freight it just burned holes and created a big mess. I assumed that this would be a little better when working with flux.

I will mess with it a bit and if it doesnt pan out then I will wait until our schedules are open and rent a trailer and drag it down...I found extensions online for 45 a side. I will also try to collect some metal for patches...perfection is the furthest thing from my mind however, I would rather have hastily installed metal and bondo than tin and rivits and LOTS of bondo.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        Fitting the stuff up will take a bunch of time if you need to do something while you save up. I gotta say, just staying out of Hooters has personally benefitted my account a ton. Maybe there is something you can hold off on that will get you the bottle money faster than you think?
                        I dont smoke or drink. I rarely go out to eat. My budget is pretty thin from payday to payday. After my bills, food and gas I have very little left to play with. I try to sock away money but there always seems to be something the kids need. Little bastards always dipping their hands in my pockets...parasites! They act like I am their dad or something!

Comment

Well, I will be in Vegas for SEMA in November, I could stop by and lend a hand on my way through. Will probably have a place to keep the dogs for a bit, still working on that, but it would be fun to tackle your Fury and beat that cancer and make it purdy again.

Dont bother with the flux core, it works like crap on sheet metal. You have to use gas, otherwise you just burn holes and leave slag everywhere.

Comment

I rent a good sized bottle for like $10-$12 a month. I think it's like $75 to fill/swap though. I don't remember as it lasts a loooong time. I want to buy a big bottle outright but our local machine shop doesn't want to sell any of them, just swap them and rent. Go figure.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              I rent a good sized bottle for like $10-$12 a month. I think it's like $75 to fill/swap though. I don't remember as it lasts a loooong time. I want to buy a big bottle outright but our local machine shop doesn't want to sell any of them, just swap them and rent. Go figure.
                              That's the Panavision business model. Panavision, the ones who built movie cameras but would never sell any of them. Only rented them.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X