• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    Thank you for the proper use of the word "moot."

I can now go to sleep this evening thinking that not everyone in the world is a chucklehead. If I see one more person improperly use mute instead of moot I think my head is going to explode.

Sorry, it's hard not to be pedantic from time to time. But I try...
    Just be happy we're a one language country.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    If I see one more person improperly use mute instead of moot I think my head is going to explode.
    almost seems like a challenge, naw, too easy

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied

I can now go to sleep this evening thinking that not everyone in the world is a chucklehead. If I see one more person improperly use mute instead of moot I think my head is going to explode.

The fact that I'm mute is moot! Happy now, Bob?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Holmes
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    vroom

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    I rebuilt the spare 750 AFB today along with taking care of some smaller details of the engine swap. Should be able to make noise the next time it gets worked on.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    800 cfm minimum. Running a low-compression motor lean is begging for knock problems...
    Then the 750 it is. I'm not buying a carb for this thing right now.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by Mater View Post
    i am averaging 14mpg in the truck
    I'm getting 13.

Leave a comment:

• Mater
    replied
    i am averaging 14mpg in the truck

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    800 cfm minimum. Running a low-compression motor lean is begging for knock problems...

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    The Q-jet that came with the 455 does not have the vacuum port for the brake booster or the correct linkage for the 200-4r tv cable. While I could make the brake booster connect to the manifold, the tv cable linkage is a deal breaker. I have the 600cfm AFB that was on the 3ow7 or there is a spare 750cfm AFB that could be used. The 600 already has the tv geometry corrector bracket on it and was rebuilt just prior to being installed on the 3ow7. After some calculating I think the 600 will work on the 455 as the rpm isn't expected to be over 4500 max. I have the 750 apart already and have a gasket set for it but the 600 is already ready. I think I might try it to see how it behaves. If it doesn't feed the motor sufficiently I'll step up to the 750.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Three weeks later the 455 is ready to go in. All I've done to this is change the oil and run it on a stand to make sure it doesn't have any major problems. I did do cold and hot compression tests and a leak-down test. After throwing money at this thing (car) from every angle, for this part I'm going no-budget. If it lasts good, if not I'll worry about it then. I know I said reliable was priority one but between the 3ow7 dying, the 455 going in, and another vehicle unexpectedly joining the immediate family, that makes the role of the wagon not as important as it once was.

As of this writing it's just waiting for the carb to be installed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 68scott385; April 28, 2014, 09:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Mater,

What kinda fuel mileage you getting in the new truck? Compare yours to my '04 Yukon Denali 6.0 AWD.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by Mater View Post
    yeah how is the thermostat? could be it;s just getting stuck
    New, I think. At this point it's moot. I'll test it when I remove it, if it's good it'll get stuck in a drawer of other used but serviceable parts, if it's bad it'll get tossed.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    I let it sit for a month. I had some thinking to do. Not that this was a major life-changing decision but at this time viable options are limited. Dependability is the number one requirement for this car. Fun is second and it must be docile enough for my spasmatic wife to drive, hence the failure to install a posi unit when the gears & axles where replaced. In an odd twist, I put a PowerTraxx locker unit it the '75 Monte Carlo several years ago. It unlocks easier/quicker than a posi unit and will fit in the wagon when the Monte gets a future upgrade. Last year I was on a mission to find a 455 Olds motor for this car. I could put a Chevy motor in it, I have three small blocks sitting around doing nothing but taking up valuable storage space. The general stuck an Olds motor in there and I thought it might be fun to do something slightly different. Anyway, the motor came out and is still awaiting teardown to see what damage is done. It really makes no difference as I have no plans to do anything with this motor other than send it on its way. I just have the curiosity of two cats.

Attached Files
    Last edited by 68scott385; May 28, 2014, 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X