The Blue Turd(le)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    I have severe pain from working on Chevy's, so I'm entitled to drive my Fords. The Fed says they'll look the other way.
    therein lies the problem, fords must be pushed.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      therein lies the problem, fords must push things like chevrolets.
      fixed. How's that S3's MPG working out? I checked the worn out smelly over 7000 pound diesel Ford this weekend, 20.5. Pulled a car trailer loaded with steel for half of it.

I'm curious about a smogger 455, I wouldn't get real hung up on headers since it won't have enough cam to really take advantage of them. They help, but it won't be the end of the world if you're leaving it as is for the time being?
      Last edited by Beagle; September 8, 2013, 08:28 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

fixed. How's that S3's MPG working out? I checked the worn out smelly over 7000 pound diesel Ford this weekend, 20.5. Pulled a car trailer loaded with steel for half of it.

I'm curious about a smogger 455, I wouldn't get real hung up on headers since it won't have enough cam to really take advantage of them. They help, but it won't be the end of the world if you're leaving it as is for the time being?
        you drove you only running vehicle this weekend, and if my calculations are correct; you were hauling a Ford to the scrap yard.... but at least you got good mpg doing it

Comment

Monica has the Escape, the Lightning is at Texoma, there are two running Mustangs and a running Bronco in Hillsboro. Yes, I can only drive one of the running cars at a time! I'm hauling burned up R-panel and warped purlins to make a hillbilly lean-to in Hillsboro. I ain't got that rich lawyer money, I'm a simple livin kind of guy.

For once, I only have one car here. The neighbors are asking if I'm moving.
          Last edited by Beagle; September 8, 2013, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Back on the subject of this wagon. Many friends' parents had these things starting in Jr High and High school. So, as a result, I have ridden in more than one. They did the job.

I agree with you about replacing the vacuum lines instead yanking everything willy nilly. In most cases, doing so causes more problems than they solve. If the car still has the vacuum line diagram under the hood, you are in luck. Though, I think the Chiltons' had those in their manuals.

Get it running and driving for now. If it runs good, don't fix what ain't broke.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Glad to see you guys give my thread the same respect when I'm away that you give Randal's.

Beagle, I'm going to ramble some, or a lot, and in there will be the answer to your header question, if the site doesn't get hacked again and erase everything when I try to post. Sorry, there will be picture to accompany this explanation, today anyway.

Chevrolet motors have a Y-pipe that typically crossover in front of or behind the flywheel/flexplate/torque converter where the down pipe of each bank join together into a single exhaust pipe. We all know this, right? On Olds motors the left down pipe crosses over under the oil pan in front of the sump and into the right exhaust manifold log then into the right down pipe into a single exhaust pipe. In an automatic transmission application the crossover pipe has to be removed or the transmission cooler lines cut to remove the motor. Since my 455 did not come with its crossover pipe I could either try to convince an exhaust shop to make one for it or try to modify the pipe of the 3ow7. Since the long term plan if everything works out is to rebuild the 455 with Edelbrock heads and intake. Also I already had header mufflers that could/would be a temporary quieting plan until I can get/make my transmission cross member cut similar to Brian's/Buford's.

Clear things up any?
              Last edited by 68scott385; September 10, 2013, 08:41 AM.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                I agree with you about replacing the vacuum lines instead yanking everything willy nilly. In most cases, doing so causes more problems than they solve. If the car still has the vacuum line diagram under the hood, you are in luck. Though, I think the Chiltons' had those in their manuals.
                What I did was use small multi-colored tie-wraps to indicate where disconnected vacuum hoses came from. No repeating colors on either side of the motor. It worked for me, twice, as you'll see when I continue with this years' escapades.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                  Get it running and driving for now. If it runs good, don't fix what ain't broke.

Seriously, I thought the same thing and that was fully my intention.

Never been kicked so hard in the jewels by a singular thought.

Comment

Sorry Scott, I was hoping the syrinuns wiped out those posts too...

The last 455 I looked at came out of a jet boat and had manifolds that dumped in the back, so I'm not much help to myself with visualizing! I was thinking new headpipes from the manifolds and duals, no way in hell I would put a y-pipe back in place on that car. Carry on with the headers, I was just thinking I'd put manifolds on it if that was all that was keeping me from driving it, and run duals up to the manifolds.

The other last time thing I remember was my Monte Carlo, and getting a dual compatible trans x-member wasn't a cheap proposition at the time. I beat the living crap out of the existing crossmemeber to flatten it since I was more neanderthal than thoughtful at the time and got enough room for a 2.25 pipe (again, what I had at the time). I remember the Impala I had as having similar type issues, only one hump in the x-member for the exhaust. How does yours look?

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post

Seriously, I thought the same thing and that was fully my intention.

Never been kicked so hard in the jewels by a singular thought.
                      nice to know that you're thinking rationally...

thread derailment is just one of the services we provide here; others include: project misdirection, complete distraction, marital counselling (to help the spouse get past the idea that you're spending more than your mortgage on car parts), and grief for being distracted.

plus, the Randal derail was nothing compared to the complete Dan derail; or the current Stiney derail
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 10, 2013, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Attached Files
                        Last edited by 68scott385; May 28, 2014, 02:09 PM.

Comment

The last 455 I looked at came out of a jet boat and had manifolds that dumped in the back, so I'm not much help to myself with visualizing! I was thinking new headpipes from the manifolds and duals, no way in hell I would put a y-pipe back in place on that car. Carry on with the headers, I was just thinking I'd put manifolds on it if that was all that was keeping me from driving it, and run duals up to the manifolds.

The other last time thing I remember was my Monte Carlo, and getting a dual compatible trans x-member wasn't a cheap proposition at the time. I beat the living crap out of the existing crossmemeber to flatten it since I was more neanderthal than thoughtful at the time and got enough room for a 2.25 pipe (again, what I had at the time). I remember the Impala I had as having similar type issues, only one hump in the x-member for the exhaust. How does yours look?
                          I'll get a photo for ya' but you're gonna have to give a couple days. I over did it on the last day of LS Fest & first day of Drag Week. There was DW parade right past my house & I was too beat to go watch.

The tranny crossmember looks just like Brian's/Buford's before the modification. I've seen aftermarket crossmembers that use formed 1/2" plate as humps for the exhaust to pass under. Never seen them for my app but the concept got me thinking that I could modify mine myself. I have some 1/2" plate and looking around at some of my previous welding projects I believe I could do it without worrying about structural deficiency.
                          Last edited by 68scott385; September 10, 2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I believe that trainwreck was worse yesterday, the Syrianoneian guys can take credit for most of the cleanup.

Comment

Glad to see you guys give my thread the same respect when I'm away that you give Randal's.
                              Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

thread derailment is just one of the services we provide here; others include: project misdirection, complete distraction, marital counselling (to help the spouse get past the idea that you're spending more than your mortgage on car parts), and grief for being distracted.

It's all good. It was more a statement of acceptance (as in being accepted) than annoyance.
                              Last edited by 68scott385; September 10, 2013, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I'll get a photo for ya' but you're gonna have to give a couple days. I over did it on the last day of LS Fest & first day of Drag Week. There was DW parade right past my house & I was too beat to go watch.

The tranny crossmember looks just like Brian's/Buford's before the modification. I've seen aftermarket crossmembers that use formed 1/2" plate as humps for the exhaust to pass under. Never seen them for my app but the concept got me thinking that I could modify mine myself. I have some 1/2" plate and looking around at some of my previous welding projects I believe I could do it without worrying about structural deficiency.

Don't remember what car exactly this cross over pipe came from but I had a pipe that went from driver's side manifold to the passenger side manifold with 2 dump looking exits on th passenger side manifold.. Instead of connecting at a "Y" ... I had fun saying it was a genuine factory attempt at controlling exhaust pollution... No outlet, no pollution..

There are tranny cross members that have dual humps... Little scarce..

The crossmembers that are solid tend to flex..
                                Cutting out a recess and plating it is pretty easy to do..

Comment

Working...
                                X