'97 Cobra track car #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't agree more on that one.

I really like the 5.0 shifter, hate the arm. I used the SVO arm on the shifter arm and worked it over with a bit of heat and pipe to bend it into a position I liked. Much like what you have. I'm always trying to get the shifter higher and in plane with the steering wheel, so it falls easily to hand.
    I'm still learning

Comment

What is better than a sunny day with snow melting? Coming home to a new set of shoes for the car! These 18x9's will get slicks. Finally spring might be around the corner...time for parts to start showing up and get the car out of hibernation.
      Last edited by odmarco; March 10, 2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

JINX! Snowmagedon starts tonight! This has to be the longest coldest most miserable winter ever.... Those wheels are going to look and work fantastic on the cobra - how much lighter will this wheel and tire package be compared to stock? Rack limiters on the way as well?
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          JINX! Snowmagedon starts tonight! This has to be the longest coldest most miserable winter ever.... Those wheels are going to look and work fantastic on the cobra - how much lighter will this wheel and tire package be compared to stock? Rack limiters on the way as well?
          WorldOrderNews March 7, 2013 The cooling is a significant warning that the globe is headed towards a Little Ice Age (LIA), climate scientists have predicted that 2014 is the beginning of a new age, the earth will go through a series of unstable variations in which global temperature will fluctuate

LIA! Now it's not global warming, it's Little Ice Age ... time for new glow plugs.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

will have to weight the cobra rims and tires vs. the new rims w/ slicks....
            ordered rack limiters. cant wait to get the 275mm wide tires on it!

Comment

Rack limiters clip onto the inner tie rod to limit travel and prevent tire interference?
              Cool - tires that wide on that body style should look menacing.

Comment

Picked up a spare door at the boneyard for $36. Going to lighten it up as much as possible and look for a matching passenger door too.

Comment

Picked up the car on Tuesday from Rehagen Racing here in Michigan; they installed subframe connectors on the cobra and also hooked me up with a set of slicks for the new rims. This weekend i hope to tear more parts from the car as weight saves, install new clutch cable and quadrant and take some pictures.

So far have reduced 50.5lbs via:
                  21.0 Spare tire
                  19.0 speakers/amp
                  10.5 RR seat bottom

Car was weighed originally at 3383 w/ full tank of gas, would like to get it closer to 3200 w/ half tank. unfortunately the subframe connectors were not weighed before install so I'll have to back calculate their weight.

Comment

How much weight do you think you can take out of the doors?
                    Are you going to go as far as removing the dash to remove the HVAC system?
                    airbags?

Comment

Airbags are going to be removed.
                      The bare white door is not light, but without the window motor, glass, door trim i'm hoping that its about 25lbs/door; I am still going to remove more sheetmetal from the inside to leave it as a 'picture frame'. The scale i have maxes out at 75 lbs so not sure if i could weigh the black door vs. the white door but i'll try to find a way to get the data.
                      HVAC system to stay intact...AC comes in handy some times.

next major weight reductions:
                      - Airbags
                      - rear seat backs
                      - replace doors w/ junkyard shells
                      - center console

Comment

added an oil separator and tested out the track tires/wheels this weekend.
                        Last edited by odmarco; April 14, 2014, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Spent a few hours making a close out panel for the rear seat. It's very lightweight and keeps some of the road noise out.

Comment

If I add a cross brace it will look similar to my Laguna rear seat.

Comment

First day of working on cobra again and started with suspension. Replaced the rear bushings with spherical. Working on rear lower shock mounts because the s197 rear shocks are a bit longer.
                              Attached Files

Comment

What's the life expectancy on those spherical bushings? Being a track day car they'll likely last forever. Are they grease-able?

Comment

Working...
                                X