84 Mustang GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    after messing with my '90 today, it's definitely the P/S and A/C bracket that are different (Taller). Those pieces are different between an A/C car with P/S and non A/C car with P/S but neither of them is more than 100.00 new.

351 fuel rails are different too (wider spacing) but you'd want bigger than stock either way for a 700 hp hungry thing. Up until then a truck is a good donor. Hotside is not that big of a deal honestly. I'm damn near positive you can flip some 5.8 F150 hedman headers backwards where they face the front and you're almost there.

If we're just bench racing, here's where my mind was a while back:

late 351, roller cam block cut for o-rings
    Forged piston 18 cc dish, aftermarket I beam ARP bolt rods
    you cam would work
    AFR 185 with 58cc chamber , maybe a 205
    .047 x 4.17 head gasket and ARP head studs should be about 9.3:1
    Victor Jr ported and drilled for injectors
    75 pound injectors, megasquirt on speed density
    90mm throttle body and elbow
    351 truck headers
    66 ish turbo , something like a .85 A/R (not set in stone)
    CX racing intercooler to start
    meth if needed
    AOD from Broader
    3.55's and 28" slick
    Cage (will need it)
    A1000 fuel pump

my concern would be tuning it to run at 3500 feet then bringing it down here where it's 650 or so.

That is really similar to what I have in my head. I already have the turbo sitting at the house. It is close to those specs I believe.

I think I am going to go with cometic head gaskets instead of o ring cut type head gaskets, of course nothing is set in stone until I get there.

Heads come down to what I can find for a good deal when I have the cash for them. I am hoping to find a set of 205's there was a set on corral but I don't have the cash for them right now. 185's come up for sale all the time for a good price. I just can't justify what they want for a set new, so I will take my chances with used so far it has worked well.

I already have a FAST classic ecu and wiring harness and a friend with great knowledge on how to tune it.

Fuel system is one of the things I am still kinda tossing around alot. I really don't want to run a sumped tank. I was considering running an efi tank with a large drop in in it. But now sure. I am still reviewing options for that.

I am really not sure what my dislike of the sump is other than the hose hanging out there. I want to be a bit more sleeperish (guess that is not a word) than a sump and a hose hanging out there is. So I want to run something else.

Actually on the ac/ps bracket I am running a FMS ac delete power steering relocate bracket that should transfer.

Oh and beagle spam away great ideas from you. Thanks
    Last edited by JWS4621; January 26, 2015, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      I think a later 80's 351 powered Crown Vic is a good donor if you want A/C and P/S.. this guy used a truck P/S bracket and you can see where it is slotted and is supposed to fit either a 302 or 351.

I'd never seen that before but I was looking for Crown Vic this morning because I think that is the application Ford Motorsport uses in their "Swap kit"... this looks pretty clean even if it's on a 302 (notice the distributor height to the water pump).

source: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ine-drive.html

sorry to spam up the thread... I chatter. When I keep saying truck headers, have a look at the exit on these. This is something else I believe I have a set of and would be happy to loan (don't want to get rid of them yet) for fitting purposes. They'd dump out the front for a front mount turbo.. the dogleg on the bottom right would need to be covered. I was thinking wastegate maybe but I don't think it is enough area.

I may take you up on the loan once i have a block at the house to kinda mock and look at.

Comment

• aeromotive drop in set up is $550ish - fits a huge range of fuel tank sizes.

I think 5.0 non equal length shorty headers will work flipped around too - I'm pretty sure I've seen those used in a few "cheap" turbo set ups.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Got a small upgrade in today. New lifters to replace all of the ones I kinda dinged around with my valve train set up wrong and Strange rear shocks

Kind of excited to put these on and see what it feels like. Not sure why.

Comment

• Cheating without actually cheating....

being married to the same chick for 30 years I can relate to this.

Comment

• Finally ordered my MSD box with 2 step included. Hoping this will make my launches a little more consistent. May even make more power lol.

Comment

• MSD is good at making them look pretty. And I guess they work better than anyone elses.

Dan

Comment

• I guess they work better. For the price and features I wanted this one fit the bill. I really just wanted a two step, but they don't make one just to add to my hei module setup. So I guess as soon as it warms up some I will wire it in and take my computer heat sink out.

Comment

• I used a Crane HI-6 in my 'Stang. Not sayin' it's better, just what I used. I don't know if there's a 2-step for the Crane but I don't seriously race it so that's not important to me. In fact, I haven't driven him in 5 years (GOTTA fix that this year!).

Dan

Comment

• My car was on TV last night. I decided to watch the SEMA Battle of Builders last night just to see who won. I was sitting there reliving some of the week through the show and the things I saw there and then they started showing video of the drive out and there was my car. I had to watch it a few times then I paused it to take a pic. I thought it was really cool to see my car on tv.

Comment

• Got my MSD box all wired up and installed this weekend. Cleaned up some of the wiring under the hood. I don't have any pics but thought I would share. I was not expecting it to sound like it does on the rev limiter. I set it at 3000 just to mess with it I will adjust it when I get it to the track. It goes up to the chip and sounds really cool other than when the headers are hot it starts popping like the big guys cars. Just crazy to hear it.

Can't wait to get it to the track and see what it does for me. I tried doing it once on the street and it just burns the tires.

Comment

• Went out to the track this weekend. Had a great time well other than the waiting. There were over 300 cars at our little track. Between that and the series of failures and oil downs that plagued opening day of the track I was only able to make 2 passes. The DA was over 6000 feet

First pass I pulled through the water and didn't pull up far enough to get out of the splash out area, then my first error I did my burn out in first gear (oops). I get up to the line and set the new 2 step and push the throttle to the floor. I had it set at 3000 rpm because I had no idea where to set it. I was setting on the 2 step waiting on green and had a huge back fire through the exhaust. I let go of the clutch and away I go I had only 11.5 psi in the rear tires and the car walked all over the place. I also had the top rev limiter set to 6000 rpm and hit that rev limiter quite a ways before the stripes. So a 13.66 at 101 mph. Not great but it still ran and learned somethings. Here is a slow motion video that BBR took of the launch. You can see the fire come out of the exhaust.

So I made some changes I aired up the tires to 13.5 psi raised the 2 step to 4000 rpm and the rev limiter to 6500. Much better to drive didn't walk all over the track as much. But I missed 3rd gear on this pass. But I was way faster. Got a 13.33 at 102 and didn't hit the rev limiter. It was getting late at this point so I went ahead and changed the tires back and loaded up the little trailer, and called it a day. Very very happy for another day that the car drove home afterwards.

Last edited by JWS4621; March 30, 2015, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• I guess I can update a little. Made a few decisions on my next build. I will be going with a 8.2 deck Dart block. It will well already is a 347 fully forged rotating assembly. A friend of mine upgraded to a Dart iron eagle block so I am buying his old setup that I am getting a pretty good deal on.

Now to decide on heads. The same buddy has a set of Dart 195 heads that he ran on the motor and has upgraded. I know very little about these heads and there is not a lot of info about them in as cast setup that these are. I had always thought I was going to run an AFR 185 or maybe bigger depending on deals. Been thinking alot about it and am leaning towards the Dart heads due to them being here in town and knowing where they came from.

Either way I am sure I will have to change valve springs and such to match whatever cam I end up running. He had a very strong setup running a TFS stage 2 cam. I am thinking I will change it up some.

So I have a short block as soon as I get the cash together to go pick it up.

Opinions on heads?

Comment

• The AFR 185 is a helluva head. The newer "Renegade" ones show to flow enough for a theoretical 600 hp.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• They are a really great head. I have seen on other forums claims of in the low 9's with them with forced induction. One side of me is kinda worried about straying very far from the setup he had which worked great. Netted some awesome numbers.

The other part of me wants to build it big and tone it down by tuning and lowering boost to get to the number I will be legal to. Of course I run the risk of it not running like it did in the original setup. I am really basing my build around his original setup.

I am also wondering I have never driven a turbo car if it will be a dog out of boost, and what to do to make it not be. He said his setup was responsive out of boost but I am not sure what that means in comparison to my current setup. If it will putt around town like my current na setup and then make big power in boost I will be thrilled.

Very excited to get to run an aftermarket block and have some security there.

Comment

Working...
                                X