No announcement yet.

84 Mustang GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just purchased a gear reduction starter for the Alfa. The old Bosch needed a forklift to get out.
    I'm still learning

Comment

I can tell going to the gym helps out when changing starters. I remember back as a teenager I couldn't even lift one into place, lol, and now I can practically straight arm the GM ones on my Buick and Pontiac and hold them there while getting two bolts started. Beats it possibly landing on my head or chest, which they have come perilously close to doing so in the past.

Will the gear reduction starter cause a greater levering effect on the cracked area?
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

They might. More torque, less RPM. My understanding is that Chrysler came up with this technology (along with the alternator) to solve a starting issue that they were known for. Their studies showed that HOW LONG the engine cranked was more important than how FAST and came up with the gear-drive solution. Just a bit of history........

Dan

Comment

Decisions Decisions. I have the custom cam ordered and it is being processed. I now am faced with the decision of rocker arms. I thought I had it all worked out and was going to go with scorpion rockers since BBR has had really good luck with them. Then as I am looking I find they now have an endurance line that is smaller and lighter, and claims to fit under stock valve covers. I am intending to run the stock valve covers to give it a more stock look and hopefully stay under the stock dual snorkel air cleaner.

Free Shipping - Scorpion Endurance Series Rocker Arms with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Rocker Arms at Summit Racing.

These are the ones I am considering anyone have any experience with them?

Comment

Not specifically Scorpions, but the 1.7 FMS (Crane made them I think) rockers would fit under a stock EFI valve cover with the baffle removed (unscrewed, reversible operation) on Edelbrock Performer heads. Worst case,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tr...view/make/ford

5/16" thick valve cover gaskets... I'm not sure on the AFR's, hard to know if their gasket wall is taller or shorter or what without test fitting. You can gasket up the air filter too.
            Last edited by Beagle; March 25, 2014, 07:11 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Got hood clearance issues too. Running a RPM airgap intake. So won't have alot of clearance. One good thing is I am running the old style carb valve covers. I am going to go get the convertible engine and transmission mounts to lower the engine I believe it is 3/4". So I think I will be fine there.

Comment

If you still need room what about k member spacers?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

I just rebuilt all of the front end I hope it doesn't come to that. I really hated working on it and also don't want to mess with the suspension geometry. It drove really really well after I replaced everything that isn't steel and some steel in it.

Comment

Yesterday I was surfing craigslist and found a set of brand new Micky Thompson ET Streets in a close size to what I wanted for the 84. I ended up with 3 brand new 26 X 10.5 15 inch DOT slicks and one slightly used one for a great price. Two of them came on 5 lug wheels so I had to try them on the cobra.

Traction is awesome.

You can see the Poor 84 in the background. Almost done ordering parts. Heads are at the machine shop getting surfaced. Rockers and other assorted things on the way.
                    Last edited by JWS4621; December 11, 2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Got a trailer hitch for my car also. Here it is on the car it came off of. Got it in today.

Sort of hides under the bumper when the hitch is not in. Wanted something a little more discrete, and didn't want to cut the bumper cover

And the hitch

Last edited by JWS4621; April 9, 2014, 10:58 AM.

Comment

You're confused. That's a parachute mount! (Though it might be a tad low).

Dan

Comment

How did the ET streets do? have you gotten upgraded axles / c-clip elims yet? I have heard high rpm clutch dumps are hard on them "they" say the rear disc brakes will retain the wheel.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Just drove it around on the street just a little bit. They have some awesome traction. I don't think I will be taking them to the track on the cobra. I do have upgraded axles and c clip eliminators for the 84. I seriously doubt I will be needing a parachute any time soon. Still going to be slow. Just a faster slow.

Comment

When did "need" become a decision point?

Dan

Comment

This is probably true. That would freak people out to put on a full race suit, Helmet and attach my parachute to the back. Get in and people will wonder where the cage is.

Comment

Working...
                                X