No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had the same issue with my first Firebird's rocker nuts. I removed them to check wear on the rockers and a couple backed off a week or two later, tightened them back down and they backed off a week or two later. Put new ones on it and never had an issue with it again.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I went through that on my 55 also, new nuts fixed it
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Damn! Looks like I gotta check mine on the 57.. Seems the valves do not want to stay adjusted.. (solid lifter cam)

Comment

• When I was in HS a buddy had a 65 GTO with a junk yard 67 2bank 400. The rocker nuts would come loose. We would smash them with a 5# sledge hammer and put them back on. That worked pretty well!
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I decided to see if I could do something about the odd tire wear up front, the camber was a bit negative, more so on the pass side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160414_120354.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1,004.5 KB
ID:	1097510

this is what I did, it looks like it's just about zero degrees on both sides now. Notice the inner rib on the pass side tire is worn more.

We had a fun discussion about this stuff on the HAMB, a few guys who work on big trucks suggested the jack and chains method. It works.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• Pretty good trick!
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

• Looks good did you have to go past 0 and let it come back?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

• yeah, way past zero!
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• If you look at pipe legged towers with welded tabs on them, the pipe bends at the welds..
                    I used to straighten them on a huge press brake.. 4X6 blocks about a foot from the tabs and a 4X4 on top..
                    It would bend a long ways before straightening.. Had to use blocks because anything stiff would collapse the pipe.
                    I straighten bent derby car frames like you did on the front end.. They can slip the wrong way fast!
                    Never thought of doing a front end like that! Gonna have to try that on a bent trailer axle I got!

Comment

• this tubing is pretty heavy...I think it's 5/16" wall, not likely to kink!

I've been organizing stuff so it's more nicer for the road trips. I made a box for the trunk, this also lets me keep stuff in the car without locking the car, and folks can't get at it easily. since there's no trunk bulkhead, I had to do something.

Name:	20160415_144421.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	1097638
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• I did some accounting...found all my time slips for the car, including the ones I only had pictures of that I had turned in on Drag Weeks. I made a spreadsheet, all 48 runs.

Name:	racing log1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	665.9 KB
ID:	1097943
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• And I've only gone quicker than two runs in that whole stack, and it wasn't by much =P That's a cool list coming up on two years.

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            I decided to see if I could do something about the odd tire wear up front, the camber was a bit negative, more so on the pass side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1097510[/ATTACH]

this is what I did, it looks like it's just about zero degrees on both sides now. Notice the inner rib on the pass side tire is worn more.

We had a fun discussion about this stuff on the HAMB, a few guys who work on big trucks suggested the jack and chains method. It works.

Whoa! That is a heck of a trick!

Comment

• The local truck shop by me does that. I've taken my Econoline vans there with the Twin I Beam. My brother took his old Econoline with a straight axle there for the same.

Good job. Your camber must have really been off. I've been running a little over 1° neg camber and haven't noticed any noticeable wear. Don't forget to check toe now.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I set the toe to 1/8" in. It didn't take much adjusting.

I'm considering taking the car into the alignment shop, and have them measure everything, and possibly set the toe more accurately than I can. I'm kind of wondering if there's any tracking issues, with the rear end, since I've welded perches on the housing a couple times. Doesn't look too bad from what I can eyeball, but it would be interesting to see where everything really is.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X