Clear All

• squirrel
    replied
    good idea...

a.so the oil report came in

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    I've had good luck with spray copper sticking things when using cork gaskets, rubber leaked baddly on my Buick V6 too.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    They probably sealed ok most of the time with the old cork gaskets they used. They had silver paint on the gaskets, to help them seal.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    I suspect there weren't many "it leaks" warranty returns on Snowflakes to irritate the engineers into making changes?

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    The valve covers on the LS-7 are tin, also. But I think they were more careful about the head castings in later years. Back in 1970, they didn't give much material to make a seal with.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I have used the blue rubber felpro gaskets with good results on a sbf they have metal rings around the bolts to keep from pushing them out.
    it's probably easier to seal a very rigid and short valve cover with a lot of clamping points like the aluminum ones on the 5.0.
    Last edited by Beagle; October 14, 2015, 07:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    I was thinking about that, I've had great luck with the original gaskets that came with my LS-7 in 1990...still using them! but these heads look like they would not seal with them, because there is so little metal around the bolt holes. The metal rings would be in oil.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I have used the blue rubber felpro gaskets with good results on a sbf they have metal rings around the bolts to keep from pushing them out.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    I put the cork gasket on the driver side, which was leaking really bad. I left the new rubber one on the pass side, it looks like it's sealing ok for now. We'll see what happens. Yeah, chevy used cork gaskets originally, I should learn from them!

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    Those two pics look very familiar. I didn't have any luck with the rubber ones either.

Last edited by Scott Liggett; October 13, 2015, 07:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Still waiting for the wheel bearing. But I got the gears swapped, and pulled the transmission pan, it looks ok in there. The valve covers have been leaking even more, since I pulled them and put new gaskets in a little while ago. The rubber gaskets seem to move around, and there isn't much meat above the lower bolt holes, so oil is sneaking in and running out around the bolts. I got some cork gaskets, we'll see how they do.

Last edited by squirrel; October 13, 2015, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    I got some used 3.50 gears on ebay, set them up in the third member, started taking the rear apart to install them. The pass side axle has been a little difficult to remove, requires a slide hammer lately. I looked at the wheel bearing, it looks kind of discolored...and it feels a bit crunchy. Not in stock at the local chain parts stores (it's Sunday)...I guess I'll get one tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    Black steel wheels for street driving, aluminum slots for racing. I swap tires at the strip.

I haven't seen Walker radiators at O'Reilly's?
    Yeah, guess not.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Black steel wheels for street driving, aluminum slots for racing. I swap tires at the strip.

I haven't seen Walker radiators at O'Reilly's?

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    What.... No hood seal????

Leave a comment:

Working...
X