62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll keep this thread up to date.

Got some blower parts in the mail...back to work.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• I don't know, but sometimes it seems to me that guys forget blowers are used on big trucks and equipment motors.. Granted, for diesel useage the clearnces are not so tight, I think.. They go for 100's of thousands of miles.. Originally blowers were made to vent mine shafts.. 4-71 and 6-71 signifies nbr of cylinders at cubic inches per cylinder..4-71=283 cu inch 4 cylinder.. I'm sure Jim knows all this already.. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.. I'm up for learning new stuff!

Comment

• The clearances are tighter when used on a diesel, they run at lower rpm. The blowers were not designed to make boost...only to pump fresh air into the 2 stroke diesel, and expel the exhaust out at the same time. They also were not designed to have fuel in them, only air.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

• Learn something new.. Wondered why some trucks didn't have blowers.. Makes sense!

Comment

• A two stroke Diesel won't run without a blower - the air won't move thru them. Once they're running (BTW, in either direction depending on the starter) you can easily compound blow them with a turbo as well as the Roots blower. We had a compound forced induction 6-71 (IIRC) at EPA that we ran on the dyno at one point. Leaked all over the cell! But it made bushels of torque at low RPMs.

Dan

Comment

• They made a few turbocharged models before the 71 series went obsolete in the 60s. The Detroit Diesel manual I have tells all about how to service them.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Got the blower back together. I made a bracket to mount the idler pulley, to replace the modern looking BDS clamp arm style bracket I used before. I still need to get a longer bolt to mount the pulley, so it sticks out far enough. I've been playing with the thermostat housing, trying to figure out where to mount it. I may end up putting the alternator down low on the driver side to make room for it.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Got the blower back together. I made a bracket to mount the idler pulley, to replace the modern looking BDS clamp arm style bracket I used before. I still need to get a longer bolt to mount the pulley, so it sticks out far enough. I've been playing with the thermostat housing, trying to figure out where to mount it. I may end up putting the alternator down low on the driver side to make room for it.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Not much to take pics of today. Modified the gas pedal arm to clear the big engine. Got the parts for the heads, checked valve to piston clearance (.090 intake) and assembled the heads. Torqued them down, installed the valvetrain. Did some porting on the intake, will put it on in the morning. Then I can hook up the oil gage, install a filter and some oil, and see if I can get pressure. If all that checks out, install the distributor and blower. I also did a little machining on the lower front pulleys and spacer, the crank flange I'm using is drilled with the offset bolt like Mopars use. Most of the modern blower drive stuff only has the normal evenly spaced bolt pattern, so I had to offset one of the bolt holes on each part.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• looking at the time stamps lately, You're either burning the midnight oil, have old man sleep habits (I wouldn't wish that on you), or this is just proof that you don't sleep at all.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I'm trying to get the car done for a May 17th show at the Tucson dragstrip. Burning the midnight oil.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• you shoulda did a live feed, or recorded it all and made a video of it in fast forward....
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• nah...I did that once, it's a pain to set up for one guy occasionally watching.

New snag, was getting things ready to pre lube engine, discovered oil pump shaft is too short (from a small block maybe?) so the pan is coming off. And my shopping list for nickel and dime stuff is running off the edge of the paper.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

• The nickel and dime stuff is the real budget killer! Nothing like getting twenty dollared to death on a project.
                              1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                              1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                                I'm trying to get the car done for a May 17th show at the Tucson dragstrip. Burning the midnight oil.
                                May try and get down there to check it out
                                Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
                                Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
                                Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
                                Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X