No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The header kit I got is a cheap one from Speedway, it's basically a build it pair of dyno headers, using the tubes as donor parts to make them fit my car. The bends are so-so...about 1/8" compression on the bends, takes some forming to get them to fit. And I haven't even tried welding the tube pieces together yet, I've only tacked them.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• looking great man, I wouldnt worry about the header bars, I imagine by the time you get some padding on the bars, no one is going to notice. actually, did they run with padding on the bars back then?
      Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Spent some time under the back of the car, got the rear part of the fuel system done. I even ran a few wires back there. I've been thinking about the wiring, I may use barrier strips to connect the various parts of the wiring together...like the rear lights, front lights, engine, etc. That ought to make it look old fashioned, and also make it easy to work on if there are any wiring problems. I taped the tail light harness with friction tape, just like the original. I need to get another roll of that stuff, I hope they still sell it at the hardware store.

I had a false start on plumbing the carbs...James caught my mistake on fb, thanks! I had the regulator on the firewall, which is a no-no. I'm planning to move it to the front frame tube above the header, but I need to get the header done first so I can figure out where would be the best place. Alternatively I may mount the regulator on the blower, and put a bulkhead fitting and some AN hose to connect them.

I like how the car is looking with all this new stuff on it.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Wow, looking great!

Whats the final wheel/tire setup going to be?

And if you ever find yourself on the east coast, beers on me! Id love to hear how you learned all this.
          Local person
          sigpic

Comment

• Thanks! I dont know what the final wheel/tire setup will be. I'm still hoping to find some skinny front slots...although I could buy some new torque thrust originals, or some new 5" wide slots. I plan to run 7" aluminum slots on the back for racing, and maybe the GTs for driving. I think I'll put bias ply tires on it...but that's also expensive.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• Are you going to have square collectors like some guys use to run? I think that would be pretty cool! Are you going to be driving this on the streets on a regular basis like you 55?
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I am planning on making square collector rings, the flange that the pipes/mufflers bolt to. The exhaust will be red Thrush glass packs, 2.5" pipe.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

• Glass packs! I'm about to faint from the coolness!
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Great thread!
                    Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

• Thanks!

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                      Are you going to be driving this on the streets on a regular basis like you 55?
                      I doubt it...should be ok for trips into town, but not so nice on long drives.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• More work today. Didn't get much done yesterday because we were in Tucson visiting relatives.

I think I have the wiring mostly figured out. I got some barrier terminal strips, with screws. I tried to find some old ones that would work, and I almost did...but they were not quite the right size, didn't all match, and they're kind of brittle from being 40-50 years old. So I went with the Radio Shack crappy ones instead. I think they'll work ok. I might get energetic and order a bunch of slot head screws to replace the modern phillips ones...or I may not. Anyways, there will be one on the kick panel for the rear wiring, and two on the firewall, right where the original under hood bulkhead connectors were. Having the terminal strips will both make it look old race car like, and make it easier to troubleshoot problems, since the wires will be exposed. (there will also be another possible failure point, but that's life). I worked out the schematic, it's close to being finished.

I finished the fuel system plumbing. I had a false start, I mounted the regulator on the firewall...James (BBR) saw the pic on fb, and reminded me that I ought to relocate it. So I did.

And I got back on the driver side header. I needed to make a sturdier "fake collector" to hold the tubes at the bottom end in the correct position and angle, and stout enough that it would not move and let the tubes fall out of the head flange. So I welded up some scrap steel, and it works pretty darn well. I only had to modify a couple of the tubes, which didn't take long, and they all fit pretty well now. Not perfect, but pretty well. So I started welding up the tube sections, using the torch. Ugly, but period correct, and it's something I can handle.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          I am planning on making square collector rings, the flange that the pipes/mufflers bolt to. The exhaust will be red Thrush glass packs, 2.5" pipe.
                          I was kinda thinkin' since they came back out with the jeep style Purple Hornies, that you might want to go with them? Jegs has got 'em... Just sayin'
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• I could, but I already got the Thrushes. They're red...match the car and they were in stock at a local store. I'm going to build tailpipes too...I have to, to try to keep the sound livable on the road.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

• i kinda figured as much... just tryin to help with the gasser theme,,, just dont put high viz yeller plexi windows in it!
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Clear windows...no moon tank...it'll be pretty boring.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X