62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cut it off, it will look better!

no bumper, weight reasons? or do you not want to buy one?
    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Cut it an inch below the bottom of tape so you can bend the lip for strength
      Last edited by tsanchez; May 27, 2014, 12:51 PM.
      Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
      Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
      Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
      Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

• Don't want to buy one, don't need it, saves weight without it, makes room for the tow bar tabs without the bumper in the way, it's traditional to not have it, etc. It's not an issue...there are a bajillion reasons to not run it, and no reasons to have one. But the rear bumper stays. Strange, isn't it?
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• all the better for weight transfer... had a Chevy II t-shirt back in the day, but you'd need a hole in the roof for the shifter LOL!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• makes sense, didnt think of the tow bar tabs. plus I was not thinking about weight transfer.

but I agree with sanchez, leave an inch or so to flange it so the fender retains its strength.
            Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• that was the plan. The lower edge of the tape is where it would be bent.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Great work on the car lots of good ideals and this is one of them keep it going
                Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

• hacking the fender off at that line will reall clean up the front end...plus it might shave half a pound! lol!
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Oh you drag race guys and your "weight" thing! I like my stuff STOUT!

Still, I think it'll look better, like the '55 Chevy gassers with the lower front valance removed. I bet a ton of those were tossed and there are restorers who would kill for one - times change.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      Thanks!

I got the other tail pipe done, and Steven installed the passenger seat. We went for a test drive...it's quieter, but the exhaust "raps" a lot. Oh well. At least it's quiet enough to carry on a conversation. Went down to the river, the speed limit is 65 out there so I got it up to 70-75, about 3000 rpm. It's almost pleasant sounding at that speed. The seats still need work, I haven't put in extra foam yet.

But I might take things apart and finish painting the car this week. We'll see.

The hell you say! Glass packs rapping?

It'll be "rapped up like a deuce, another runner in the night".

and on the looks of the exhaust - the underneath pics, I thought looked "rushed", too ... wasn't a fan. BUT seeing it from the side, they look perfectly fine.

My first car, the old Delta 88 with the 425 - one of the first mods I did to it was put dual exhaust on it (manifolds stayed on), and glass packs. Sounded great inside the car. I had NO IDEA it was rappy outside. lol.
                      Last edited by yellomalibu; May 27, 2014, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• I'll probably live with the exhaust the way it is, at least for now. Went for a drive today, it wasn't too bad. I did a little work on the fuel pump yesterday, added some thick grommets to it's mounting bolts. Seems to be a bit quieter, but I think the fuel line is still resonating a lot on the floor. I'll probably order some fittings and hose for it when Janet recovers from the credit card bill that came in the mail today.

I took the front sheet metal off, and the rear bumper and what little shiny trim there is, and started sanding. Have the roof about half done.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• can you take something like 1/2 line, maybe air hose or smog lines from a late model, and make 1/2 inch lengths, split down the length, and just put it over the existing fuel line to buffer the resonance / isolate it from the floor?

I was thinking every six inches to foot or so slip a piece of hose over the fuel line, I'm having a tough time explaining what I mean. Basically making the fuel line guitar string shorter kind of deal.
                          Last edited by Beagle; May 28, 2014, 06:05 AM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• The fuel line is clamped in place with the metal/rubber Adel type clamps. That's as much rubber isolation as it'll get. The floor is bare metal, it likes to resonate. I'll try the section of flexible line and see what happens, if it doesn't help, at least the sound is livable as it is.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

• maybe a passenger would help fix that.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Tried that already, it helps, but still kinda loud. The rear floor is more resonant than the front, where the seats are. Also the fuel line runs along the rocker in the seat area.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X