• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock 81 smog motor.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• been rereading the HAMB version of this story...interesting how different it is.

As a few of you know, I competed in Hot Rod magazine's Drag Week adventure this year. I got second place in the Gasser-AF/X class with my 55 chevy....
      My fabulous web page

Comment

• Reading back through a few pages, the beginning is a great reminder of how incredible the work you did is.

Did I read one of the posts right, BOTH rear shock mounts broke? I thought just one.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Thanks!

One was already broken when we left Great Bend, the other broke on the way to Tulsa, like I figured it would. It turned out to be easier to get it welded up on the road, than at the drag strip.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Good ol' oil country. Though I question your choices to weld at a gas station, lol

Comment

• The welding truck we between my car and the pumps....no problem
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Had a blow out on the mobile home axled trailer we were using, (2 car hauler) and only spare left was a tubed one with centers welded in to use on the guy's derby car.. We torched it out in the parking lot of a gas station.. They had fits! Trailer was between us and the pumps and I had a charged water bottle.. Met the police on our way out.. .. Glad to know throwing sparks in a parking lot isn't that rare! We were by the air pump as our portable tanks were empty..

Comment

• I'll have to check the NEC.I seem to remember the combustible field around the pumps isn't too big. Funny, with explosion proof wiring, there's actually constant explosions going on inside the boxes.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• It is fumes that blow, not liquid, most of the time..

Comment

• Went racing in Phoenix today. Three passes 10.11 to 10.22. Last pass the driver door latch Broke. So it has a piece of Baling wire holding it closed now.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• NOW it's a real race car!! I'm wondering if I should hold something on the S-10 with bailing wire just to be pro-active.

Dan

Comment

• Fixed the door latch...it turns out it was just the spring broke, that returns the latch to the "open" position when you open the door. Since the latch was "closed", it couldn't work. Found a rear latch from a 4 door that had a good spring, now all is better again.

But I was a little worried about the strange squealing bearing noises in the rear end area on the drive home...still don't know what caused it, but the rear end gears are pretty well wore out. And I never did fix the leak in the housing. and one of the shock mounts broke again. I decided to take it all apart back there. I took the housing to a friend's shop and we magnafluxed it, there's a crack about an inch long in the edge of the rear cover plate, right next to the weld.

I think it's from the housing flexing, when I launch it pulls the axle tubes forward, then relaxes. The flexing eventually cracked the housing. I plan on making a rear brace, hopefully will help. Not a modern full brace, but something flaky and old fashioned looking, just a strap across the back, welded at the ends of the tubes and tacked to the center of the housing back.

and I'll probably put a set of gears on my Xmas list....
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• I think Santa has an elf that makes gears........

Dan

Comment

• 9 second problems =P

Comment

• yeah, it sucks, eh?
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X