62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    I doubt I'll get many good pics at the races, but hopefully Joe will!

Pictures...yes

Good pictures...that will be open for debate.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Wheelie bars
      Last edited by squirrel; April 10, 2015, 05:27 PM.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Yeehaw!
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Jim, me and Jason are gonna roll out in the mid afternoon tomorrow. If you need anything (parts, tools, food) let me know and I'll bring it with....
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Thanks! So far so good. Ran a couple 10.40s at 128. The wheelie bars aren't needed so I'll take them off in the morning. The 4.11 gears seem to be working well here
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• Had a fun time at the races. A few friends came to watch, including Joe, and my whole family at one time or another. My son Gary got a little bit of video (I loaned him my camera, but didn't have a tripod) of my first run Friday night. I made about 6 passes total. The car started acting up near the end, a couple of the blower hold down nuts were loose, then it started idling pretty bad, so I'm going to pull the blower and see if it's just the base gasket, or something worse. ETs were pretty consistent, 10.43-10.51, except the time I missed 2nd and zinged the motor. It might even have a bent valve, who knows. Maybe I should do a compression check first.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Hopefully its something simple like a gasket. Pretty awesome its consistent though.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Here's to hoping just a new base gasket..
                  Always nice when stuff works out!

Comment

• Thanks, we'll see what happens. I am putting in a new gasket, it was kind of messed up but not obviously leaking.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Motor sounded strong in the video ... hopefully it's not hurt too bad.

Comment

• There were a few gassers at the races and I have to say that by far Jim's was the coolest. I think simply because I know how it was build and the budget it was built on. In a garage with ingenuity and resourcefulness.

I missed Jims last pass because I was looking for a t-shirt for the boy. The blown 427 sounds nasty even at idle putting it on a trailer.

We kinda laughed at the Fuel Altereds running 6's because, as Jim had stated, guys are running 6's with street driven cars on Drag Week....

All in all it was 12 dollars and an evening well spent.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure a few "modern" changes will get this car faster.... But it will ruin what it is all about.. What it runs now sn't too shabby..

Comment

• That's the thing....I like it the way it is.

I swapped the blower base gasket, still running rough. I pulled the plugs, they all look fine, did a compression test. 2 and 8 are about 165 psi, the rest are mostly 125. The 2 and 8 intake rockers are loose, about 1/8" clearance between valve stem and rocker. It doesn't look like the nuts backed off any. I wonder if the lifters collapsed? or what? Really strange.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

• As do I, Jim! Not just because I followed along as you built it...
                              Or could push rods be slightly bent?
                              Hope the cam isn't losing it's nose..
                              Here is to hoping the lifters are not up to snuff..
                              Seems like more lifters are failing? Or is it just being better diagnosed? (not meaning your's)

Comment

• Good call on the pushrods. Two of them had the balls pushed into the ends.

Ordered a new set.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X