No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the 70's the tire used on drag cars was narrow tall slicks..
    I can't really remember seeing wide tires except on street cars jacked up to the moon.. Very few were fender massaged to take wide tires
    A neighbor had a 57 Belair that he drag raced.. Had small spokes up front, black narrow tall MH slicks on the back.. He could pop small wheelies on launch with a 2X4 tunnel ram 292 ci small block with a Muncie..

If Jim could add a few bars to run 9's.. That would be cool.. But it will probably ruin the look he went for and nailed..
    "What if" is a terrible monster...
    "What if I drove one of our current derby cars"... I fight that all the time but know I CANNOT afford to risk it..

Comment

• Thanks for the thoughts.

I agree, the black wheels don't look as nice. They do keep the tires from being hit by the quarter panel on big bumps, which has happened a few times. I need to get the car outside and take some pictures of it in different settings, see how it looks.

just for fun I measured the height of the rocker panel, front and back, and the car is sitting perfectly level right now. There is enough air in the shocks to make the rear tire fit perfectly centered in the wheelwell radius.

And I do like the looks of the car with slicks with the slots on back...

Last edited by squirrel; September 30, 2015, 11:25 AM.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• few more pics.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• I like the new avatar
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Old school is nice, but I think the slotted dish looks sweeter..

Comment

• Back to the radiator.......you can buy a copper Walker just about anywhere.......just sayin'
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• What.... No hood seal????
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Black steel wheels for street driving, aluminum slots for racing. I swap tires at the strip.

I haven't seen Walker radiators at O'Reilly's?
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    Black steel wheels for street driving, aluminum slots for racing. I swap tires at the strip.

I haven't seen Walker radiators at O'Reilly's?
                    Yeah, guess not.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• I got some used 3.50 gears on ebay, set them up in the third member, started taking the rear apart to install them. The pass side axle has been a little difficult to remove, requires a slide hammer lately. I looked at the wheel bearing, it looks kind of discolored...and it feels a bit crunchy. Not in stock at the local chain parts stores (it's Sunday)...I guess I'll get one tomorrow.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Still waiting for the wheel bearing. But I got the gears swapped, and pulled the transmission pan, it looks ok in there. The valve covers have been leaking even more, since I pulled them and put new gaskets in a little while ago. The rubber gaskets seem to move around, and there isn't much meat above the lower bolt holes, so oil is sneaking in and running out around the bolts. I got some cork gaskets, we'll see how they do.

Last edited by squirrel; October 13, 2015, 04:27 PM.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• Those two pics look very familiar. I didn't have any luck with the rubber ones either.

Last edited by Scott Liggett; October 13, 2015, 07:51 PM.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I put the cork gasket on the driver side, which was leaking really bad. I left the new rubber one on the pass side, it looks like it's sealing ok for now. We'll see what happens. Yeah, chevy used cork gaskets originally, I should learn from them!
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

• I have used the blue rubber felpro gaskets with good results on a sbf they have metal rings around the bolts to keep from pushing them out.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

• I was thinking about that, I've had great luck with the original gaskets that came with my LS-7 in 1990...still using them! but these heads look like they would not seal with them, because there is so little metal around the bolt holes. The metal rings would be in oil.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X