62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I have used the blue rubber felpro gaskets with good results on a sbf they have metal rings around the bolts to keep from pushing them out.
    it's probably easier to seal a very rigid and short valve cover with a lot of clamping points like the aluminum ones on the 5.0.
    Last edited by Beagle; October 14, 2015, 07:06 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• The valve covers on the LS-7 are tin, also. But I think they were more careful about the head castings in later years. Back in 1970, they didn't give much material to make a seal with.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• I suspect there weren't many "it leaks" warranty returns on Snowflakes to irritate the engineers into making changes?
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• They probably sealed ok most of the time with the old cork gaskets they used. They had silver paint on the gaskets, to help them seal.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

• I've had good luck with spray copper sticking things when using cork gaskets, rubber leaked baddly on my Buick V6 too.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• good idea...

a.so the oil report came in

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Ain't real data a great thing? We sometimes sent oil out from EPA (Ethyl did ours - they had an active lab in Detroit back then) but I haven't had any of my personal stuff done. Probably ought to, especially Mutt's Mercedes as it's kind of an unknown commodity.

Dan

Comment

• I was just wondering about this. I don't have much to comment, except thanks for sharing it!
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I guess it's probably normal wear. I wonder if blower shavings got into the oil somehow? there was neat glittery stuff in the intake when the blower locked up.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• ooof.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Too bad you didn't put a magnet to the glittery stuff to see if it was steel or aluminum..
                        So you are very well into acceptable limits on everything.
                        Oil might be good for another use now? Like lubing mower wheels?

Comment

• I just take it all to the recycle place at the county dump. The glitter in the intake was from the blower, it was pretty obvious
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• From what part? Steel or aluminum?
                            Motor will likely survive on aluminum than it will steel..
                            Of course we are into different things.

Comment

• the rotor hit the case, all that stuff is aluminum.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Ah. Shouldn't matter too much.. Of course... Best if none was in the motor..

Comment

Working...
                                X