No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading up to Tucson tomorrow for registration for Drag Weekend. Should be fun...hope I make it!
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• I have confidence in you!

Dan

Comment

• Go get them Jim!
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Sorry nothing to report about the car on drag weekend. It mostly worked fine. Ran good until today. Just had a dirty spark plug so it ran 11.04 instead of a mid ten . I changed the plugs and it's running fine. They been in there a while. I'll keep an eye on cylinder 6. Finished the weekend wroth a 10.81 average. No problems on the road. The drives were rather challenging.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Did Janet go with you? Or is she too smart? We Hot Rodders are a funny bunch......

Dan

Comment

• I'm glad they found a way to make the drives fairly challenging.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Dan went with me. Friend who has been on drag with me. Car is missing a little every now and then today. Made it to Phoenix so far.
                Last edited by squirrel; November 1, 2015, 01:12 PM.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

• made it home. Relief. Dan got to drive the last leg, 75 miles from Tucson to SV. Of course he had to get on it a bit when we got close to home.

Time to relax....
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• My last run was kind of slow, the car was misfiring etc. I pulled the plugs after the run and found this on the pass side, #6 had some oil deposits shorting it out, I suppose. I replaced them with new plugs. It ran fine. for a little while..then on the way home it would occasionally misfire, then run ok for miles, then act up again, etc. I think it's unrelated, not sure what's going on. Should be fun to find.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Thinking out loud here, more to myself than you I reckon.

Do you think number 6's oil rings didn't like it's blower metal diet? Sounds almost like an old two stroke I had that would run okay, ignition break up, run okay and it was always the plug on it's way out. Some of my early attempts at car ownership, it would be flakey when a a condensor was starting to go bad. Any correlation between engine temp and misfire? Grounds all good?
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Grounds? The only "ground" in the ignition system, besides the plugs being tight, is the points grounding the primary side of the coil.

I'm going to look into one of the carbs and see what it looks like. The new replacement #6 plug looked just fine after driving 100 miles, when the car was acting up yesterday morning. I had considered the blower thing affecting that hole...not sure what's going on, but there are probably 5000 miles on those plugs since they were last removed and looked at, so I'm not really worried about it. Uses about 1 qt oil or less per thousand miles, which is the best oil mileage I've ever got out of a big block.
                        Last edited by squirrel; November 2, 2015, 05:40 AM.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• Of probably 150K miles I put on our old BBC El Camino, half of it involved periodically chasing around mis-fire problems, going nuts at times...different plugs, carb jetting...I don't know what it is about rat motors in daily use bit it was a pain. All fixed, weirdly, after swapping the points for an HEI; the thing just wanted more ignition power.

Comment

• white is from anti-freeze.... I had a SBC 400 that would foul #8 about every 3000 miles, not enough to worry about but annoying nonetheless. The fix was using a split-fire plug in that hole. And before any of you get all uppity on me about the fix. My dad still runs that motor in a vehicle he has - this is 20+ years and at least 100,000 miles on a motor that normally lasts 100,000 miles (which I bought used)...
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• The funny thing is that the car has not had antifreeze in it since before I installed those spark plugs. It's gray ash from oil burning, as best I can tell. I've seen plugs get spotlessly clean because of antifreeze, leaking in through an intake gasket failure.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                                The funny thing is that the car has not had antifreeze in it since before I installed those spark plugs. It's gray ash from oil burning, as best I can tell. I've seen plugs get spotlessly clean because of antifreeze, leaking in through an intake gasket failure.
                                Not likely to happen on the #6 cylinder as it is nowhere near the water jacket for the intake manifold. I agree that the plug looks to be oil fouled, but from where is the question. I am sure you will let us know when you have concluded your CSI investigation.
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X