No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good (as usual!). And what's wrong with 1/4" of filler, Mr. Fussy Britches?

Dan

Comment

race car....taking weight off is free horsepower!

Actually, I just have a thing about "used" bondo, I want all the bondo to be my bondo. I can get a patch panel for about $90 with shipping. Or I could make my own, I have some sheet metal. Or I could do a bunch more body work on the piece that's there already.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I use the Lite filler........

Or - in LSR we call that "ballast".

Just teasin', of course.

Dan

Comment

Making it look easy as usual - nice work Jim - I look forward to seeing this one at DW.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

thanks! More work today...didn't get the floor done, but at least I got started. I was pondering the transmission tunnel/crossmember issued, and decided that maybe I could move stuff back to make room for the TH400. Looks like if I move the trans back about 5" then the engine will clear the firewall. After I cut the pass side floor out, I got to looking and measuring...I can probably move the crossmember back 4" and slot the holes a little more for the mount, and it should work. I'll probably move the rear half of the trans tunnel back about 5" and then fill in the gap with sheet metal. I did some scraping off of undercoat, seam sealer, grease, and dirt....I can probably take another 10 to 20 lbs off the car if I get all of this crap off the underside. It's a lot of work, but it's also "free horsepower".
            Attached Files
            Last edited by squirrel; December 16, 2013, 08:03 PM.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

The lightening hole in the passenger footwell might be a bit much......

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                th400, is the plan. I have a couple I can build. No money, as usual....although the blower is an expense I have to pay
                Take the more affordable path... a bottle fed, screaming small-block. ; )

Looks great...nice work!
                Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

jcharliem, the DW gasser class doesnt allow bottle fed babies for power adder. You can only use 6 71 or 8 71 supercharger.
                  Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

got a little more done. I moved the trans crossmember mount back 4" to the rear of the subframe rail, although I would like to have moved it another inch...oh well. I'll move the tunnel back 5". Pass side floor welded in, ready to work on the driver side next. It will need some metal added to the bottom of the firewall above the floor pan, there's a lot of rust over there.

Attached Files
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

That puts an end to Flintstone locomotion but that's one of the trade-offs in car construction. I'll bet it's getting stiffer.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        That puts an end to Flintstone locomotion but that's one of the trade-offs in car construction. I'll bet it's getting stiffer.

Dan
                        uhhh.... nevermind. I guess it needs brakes now that you can't stop it like Fred and Barney in rush hour. You mentioned a hamb thread for GMC blower conversions the other day in another thread. Some reason why it was so easily found? Hmmm?
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I got some brakes in the mail today....willwood 11" vented with aluminum hubs, etc. pretty much the same ones that are on my 55. They'll have to stop less weight, though. Started tearing into the driver side floor today, it's more of a pain than the other side was. And there's not much left supporting the subframe, it's pretty floppy. I also spent a few hours taking things apart. The suspension came off, then the inner fender/frame rail assemblies, then I torched the unnecessary bits off of the rails, and put the rails back on. I need to clean them up, lots of grinding ahead to get rid of the spot welds, etc holding on the remnants of the inner fenders and suspension supports. Progress is being made...

Attached Files
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Started tinkering with the leaf springs a bit more. I cleaned most of the crap off one of the frame rails, and clamped the hangers to it.
                            Attached Files
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Jim - what's your plan for reinforcement of the rails? Are you going to run a tube from the rail up to the firewall?
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

this thread is worth about 10^32 words. Thanks Squirrel, it's clearing up a lot of questions for me.
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X