No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me more about your seats...are they old aircraft surplus? pics?

thanks
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      Seats....I've been looking for seats. These are the ones I've found that seem most like what I want, that I can find available.

and there are covers available too.

We use those type of seats in most of the rails. Be sure to acquire at LEAST 4" of good foam to go under the driver seat......that's about right. Any less and your back will let you know it. Passengers are on their own. (They just add unnecessary weight anyways. )
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I was thinking that foam would be good....
        My fabulous web page

Comment

• what about some econoline van seats, those were a popular weight saving swap back in the day, was it not?
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• I don't know how much or if you want to race it but if so check into your sanctioning body. The seats shown would not be legal in LSR but I'm not sure about NHRA, etc. It can be frustrating to get turned away at the track!

Dan

Comment

• speedway has some more "civilized" seat options that aren't heavy and way more comfy that look a bit like the shortback econoline or D100 seats that were so popular back in the day.

Jim is in very good shape and would fit into those teeny little 'glass seats. I'll take the weight hit (lightened by removing power tracks) and stick with my Mk8 seats and not need as many chiropractor visits (the whole interior only cost me $250)
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Oh yeah! I forgot about the Speedway "Jeep CJ" seats! Good call!

Comment

• I didn't find any Jeep type seats at speedway. The one I linked above is the only seat they offer that looks "old"...oh, that and the "mustang style" seat. Weight is an issue.

Dan, drag racing seat requirements are nowhere near like LSR requirements. 135 mph vs 200+ is a big difference.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• Some really cool old timey looking racer seats on this page...

They have the aluminum bomber style seats....
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• I understand the weight thing - these are 24lb a piece, these were the ones I was thinking of that look (to me anyway) more like the old van seats.

Comment

• The recline thing really kills those seats for this car.

The "retro" bomber seats....not really....by the mid 60s, the drag racers were using fiberglass racing seats. If I were building an older car for an older era, then I'd go for some gennie surplus seats, but they'd probably cost way too much.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• Jim - are you going to use a trailer on DW?

are you going to have a back seat at all or just a metal firewall (safety)?

Will you use the backseat area for storage of stuff?
                          (I'm guessing the trunk space will be reduced with battery, etc)

Two fixed in place 'glass seats sure won't make getting anything in and out of the backseat area very easy, unless at least one side slides way forward or tilts up on a hinge at the front edge of the seat perhaps?

A simple hinge wouldn't add much weight and might allow for easier access?

Comment

• Hmmm.....I'm not seeing the ones I was thinking of at Speedway.

Perhaps Smittybuilt was where I saw them. Like these in non-reclining style.

Comment

• Stiney, those are way too modern looking, unfortunately. Seats in 1966 were straight, no curves.

I am going to have no back seat, no rear firewall, but a bigass trunk. Battery will be up front, so I save the weight of cables, and the fuel tank will be the stock one under the floor in back, with the stock filler on the side of the car, the filler neck fits in the stock wheelwell on the driver side. Rear "seating area" access will be a bitch, but it's a race car....so I'll make do. Good idea on the hinge for the pass seat, I'll see if I can do that, it would make life easier.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                                Good idea on the hinge for the pass seat, I'll see if I can do that, it would make life easier.
                                better yet some kind of quick release pin on seat could be removed for easier loading and double as a lawn chair between rounds and after hours!

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X