62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Corvair buckets?

Period correct, relatively cheap (might grab a whole junk corvair for what a pair of new seats would cost) don't know what weight would be?

Or British sportscar seats? Just so happens I have an extra pair of Austin Healey buckets....fair to rough, in red vinyl.
    Last edited by STINEY; January 14, 2014, 11:20 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I thought about little normal car seats, but don't want to do the weight penalty for them...besides we need motivation to stop often on DW, and the 'glass seats will definitely provide that!
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Jim - keep the fuel tank small - that will keep stops frequent, and prevent permanent kidney or spine failure... hopefully.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I used two pieces of 2" green memory foam from teh fabris store to pad the back and bottoms of my racing buckets. I cut them to fit, with in the sunken portion of the seat, you don't even notice that they are there. I didn't realize the difference it made until I rode in a buddys car with the same seats without the padding.

Comment

• early F150 extended cabs had a hinge to let the whole seat rotate up from the front, but it probably weighs as much as your seats. Gate hinges... pretty strong, not real heavy.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• How about Sedan Delivery buckets that hinge forward to reach the rear.. Might give you the look you want.. The metal back might kill it weightwise? Just a thought..

You could pull 2 pins up front and remove the pass seat rather easily for more weight savings..
              Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 14, 2014, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                I thought about little normal car seats, but don't want to do the weight penalty for them...besides we need motivation to stop often on DW, and the 'glass seats will definitely provide that!
                I had glass seats in my Torino, I did a few long trips in them and found them to be pretty comfy compared to the worn out bench that was in it before. Although none of my trips were like a DW trip......I had the pleather covers with some padding on them too...

*edit* I was 21 and stupid then too...so.
                Last edited by JOES66FURY; January 14, 2014, 12:34 PM.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• On the road comfort is important to me so a little foam pad makes sense. Since you are going to have to fabricate mount brackets anyway, making them pivot is simple and might cost a couple ounces of weight. As you know, to pass tech the driver's seat cannot be attached with Pit Pins. Assuming they'd look, which they won't.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• I was planning to make a tube steel support for the driver seat, it will be permanently mounted. The passenger seat can be whatever I want it to be. I expect I could hinge it at the front, and put a latch at the top where it goes near the cross bar.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• Rules.
                      Attached Files
                      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• Yep, that's the plan. But the Speedway seat is not single layer fiberglass, I think....I'll have to figure that one out. Or maybe it is.
                        Last edited by squirrel; January 14, 2014, 01:16 PM.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          Yep, that's the plan. But the Speedway seat is not single layer fiberglass, I think....I'll have to figure that one out. Or maybe it is.
                          The ones we had were kinda thick.. Did not deflect much if at all.. You are in AZ... double in the critical areas.. Guessing here. 3/16" or maybe 1/4" at mounting areas.. Would not know if double layers or not.. Again..guessing they might be more?

Comment

• Who knows what they consider "single layer"?

Anyways...I got my rearend out of the suburban today, and stripped of perches, and ready to get some new ones. I'll just tack them in for now, and finalize them when I get the car all set up the way it's gonna be, with the traction bars, new relocated rear hangars, moved floor, etc.

I got the gas tank in the mail, along with the drag link parts. Looks like the drag link will maybe clear the oil pan OK, or maybe not, it'll be close.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Which Suburban? I'm having a tough time keeping up.

Single Layer Fiberglass makes me think of the 50's Eames plastic chairs.

Last edited by Beagle; January 15, 2014, 05:39 AM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Are you going to use the rear full width or are you going to chop it?
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X