No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all done with that for now. Gloves, ventilation, outside, care, it's not a big deal. We used to clean everything that way when we were kids, and we're still alive.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• I have a good friend who is the bus mechanic for a local school......he has developed an intolerance to petroleum products. Poor guys hands crack and bleed if he isn't super careful around oil & fuel.

Scarey stuff.

I'm really loving this project, thanks for documenting it Jim!
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• My hands have trouble with solvents, especially when it's real dry (like it is here 10 months out of the year)

Glad you like it!

Started stripping paint off the body, also getting ready to put the floor back in. And been playing with the traction bars...figuring out how to make my own cal tracs that will look like old Traction Masters. Fun stuff. And I'm also looking at shifters....I may be able to modify an old one to work. It'll take a lot of work, and probably cost a lot for the raw materials to build it from.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          Slow down. Take a break. Don't work so fast. You are making the rest of look really bad!!!!
          Originally posted by langleylad View Post
          I agree !!!
          Don’t listen to them Jim. Full speed ahead! It's looking great!
          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            all done with that for now. Gloves, ventilation, outside, care, it's not a big deal. We used to clean everything that way when we were kids, and we're still alive.
            I've got so much Brake Clean in my system I really have to laugh when people tell me diet pop's going to kill me.

Comment

• Diet pop is bad for you. Brakekleen is not so bad for you.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                Diet pop is bad for you. Brakekleen is not so bad for you.
                Well close enough..
                Diet pop causes diabetes, cancer, rages and a host of other shit!
                I ain't bull sheitting!
                Brakleen has no studies either way..

Comment

• I can't drink regular pop anymore, it tears my stomach up. Don't need a study for this one. Brake clean absorbs into your blood stream. Read the can.
                  Last edited by Casper; January 20, 2014, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Well close enough..
                    Diet pop causes diabetes, cancer, rages and a host of other shit!
                    I ain't bull sheitting!
                    Brakleen has no studies either way..
                    The latest I've heard about Brakleen is not to use it to clean metal before you weld it , apparently some people do I've never thought to do so . They say it puts out a gas ( nerve gas ) that can kill you .

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                      The latest I've heard about Brakleen is not to use it to clean metal before you weld it , apparently some people do I've never thought to do so . They say it puts out a gas ( nerve gas ) that can kill you .
                      Maybe I better stop "Lincoln Locker" ing my derby cars that way..
                      Seems my son said something to that effect then sprayed it with starting fluid before welding..

Comment

• Yea - brakclean (it's not all the same formulation so you do need to read the can) is nasty if you're planning on welding... mustard gas comes to mind.... some have compared it to welding galvanized without proper ventillation as far as it's nastiness.

Jim - I admire your determination and refusal to take the easy way out in your quest to make this thing period correct!
                        That's a lot of work to preserve the stock floor and move it, instead of just putting a "pro street" back half in it which would look totally wrong (and cost a lot more)
                        Well done.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Casper View Post
                          I've got so much Brake Clean in my system I really have to laugh when people tell me diet pop's going to kill me.
                          Me too, Casper. Caffeine Free Diet Coke is my one remaining sin - I don't smoke, drink alcohol, chase loose women, gamble, or mess with explosives. I don't eat sugar (diabetes), cheese (too much fat for my ailing heart) or dairy if I can avoid it, shellfish (love it but allergic) or melon (allergic). So I GOTTA have something. It's as close to excitement as I get in my life. Sad, ain't it?

Dan

Comment

• Dad taught me to clean parts in gasoline. I didn't know any other way to do it from the time I was 8 until I was 15 and started working in a service station. Varsol? Hey cool!

I'm allergic to diet, but that car sure has been on one! I can't wait to see the rear mounting point moving day pictures.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• getting ready to put it back in today. Need to finish cleaning up a few things. And figure out how to bend the new "frame rail" extensions for under the trunk floor. Then it's just a matter of filling in all the gaps. As well as the gap in the trunk, there will be a big gap in front, because the floor was rusty, and I'm going to punt and just put in flat metal there, instead of repop rear floor pans. Also the wheel wells are getting radiused, so I can't really attach the tubs to the sides until I get the car sitting on it's new rear end, and get some weight in it to see where the radius will be. Then I'll be able to cut and fill in the gap between wheelhouse and quarter skin.

roll cage parts showed up yesterday. They went to the freight terminal in Tucson....which worked out nice, because my wife happened to be up there visiting family, and she took her truck.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Jim - do you have a sheet metal brake? I'm wondering if you could form (or buy, or have someone else form) a section of frame rail that looks just like the old stuff to fill in the gaps instead of using three separate pieces and doing a lot of welding and grinding, or using a piece of rectangular tubing like I did in the falcon (it happened to fit near perfectly inside the frame rail from the top with the floors out).

it's pretty easy to put a "bead roll" into a piece of flat sheet metal to prevent it from oil canning - solid bar stock or whatever you have around that's about the right side and rigid, v notch cut into a piece of lumber, and a hammer, or press.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X