No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim - the car will be red oxide top and bottom?

Are you going to use old school primer with a flat or satin clear over the top or???

I know you're in a very dry climate - i'm not - just wondering how you're thinking about approaching the "permanent primer" job.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• the floor and interior will be primer. The outside of the car, dash, etc will be painted. Not sure on the color, I may go with the original metallic blue, the Roman Red they had back then, or something else.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• My very first car was a 64 Chevy II that I bought when I was 16 in 1976 . It was metallic blue and looked awesome , so my vote is for metallic blue . Not that it matters ....

Comment

• You might look into a new paint called Hot Rod Flatz. My buddy Karl used it on his '62 Ford Unibody P/U. Has a great primer look but holds up like real paint. Three years on it still looks good and his material costs were under $200. They have different colors.
          Attached Files
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• I've seen that paint...but it has no place on a 60s era build. I'm trying to restore the car to 4 year old condition....which is interesting.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              I've seen that paint...but it has no place on a 60s era build. I'm trying to restore the car to 4 year old condition....which is interesting.
              so you are using lacquer? didn't mean to offend about the floors, but I thought with all the lb's you are removing because race car.. why you'd make pretty seams..

Comment

• Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                so you are using lacquer? didn't mean to offend about the floors, but I thought with all the lb's you are removing because race car.. why you'd make pretty seams..
                Pride in workmanship!

Even our derby cars get pretty seams... Means differently here... Still pride in workmanship!
                I used to make beautiful welds then reweld them to make others think it was a weak sopt in my cage..

Comment

• Ahhhh...yeah, that's it. I want to build the car to my own level of imperfection. There seems to be a "missing" brace on these cars, from the rocker to the front subframe, so I'm adding them. They also tie into the front of the roll cage. I don't have a brake or anything fancy like that, so I improvise.
                  Attached Files
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Ahhhh...yeah, that's it. I want to build the car to my own level of imperfection.

There seems to be a "missing" brace on these cars, from the rocker to the front subframe, so I'm adding them. They also tie into the front of the roll cage.

I don't have a brake or anything fancy like that, so I improvise.
                    I'm so stealing this idea for my Riviera's corroded under floor ribs. With the X-Frame, the side protection is almost unibody like with reinforced rockers and floor braces (both rusted in my case).
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• How many are goint to "catch" that brace not being stock?
                      Really looks like it belongs!

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        How many are goint to "catch" that brace not being stock?
                        Really looks like it belongs!
                        I agree totally , the fact that you are fabricating this piece to look stock and no one will notice it because it looks totally stock just shows your pride in your work . Well done

Comment

• Nice work! Looks Great!
                          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                          74 Nova Project
                          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                          79 Chevy Truck Project
                          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Most of these unibody type cars have almost nothing tying the rockers to the stamped steel floor supports. On my Falcon I found the same thing, but didn't do such a fancy hand made support. Just welded in box tube for mine.

Comment

• Ready for some primer. And then seam sealer, more sanding, and more primer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	floor16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	876758
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Ready for some primer. And then seam sealer, more sanding, and more primer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29635[/ATTACH]

no subframe connectors?

or is that something that wouldnt be period correct?
                                Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Working...
                                X