No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No subframe connectors. But there kind of is...the piece I added to tie the rocker to the front subframe.

The rocker takes more of the load from the front spring hanger, than the rear subframe does.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      No subframe connectors. But there kind of is...the piece I added to tie the rocker to the front subframe.

The rocker takes more of the load from the front spring hanger, than the rear subframe does.
      Think you are right with it up on it side I think I would seam weld both supports front and rear that just me...
      Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
      Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

• I'd probably still tie them Jim, it's gonna be a wheel stander.

Comment

• the man has a plan. I assume the cage will add all the stiffness this little beastie will need....
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• He does... and when he's five feet in the air I'd hate to see him twist those rockers coming down

Comment

• the cage will connect the "subframes", now that I added the brace at the front. The main hoop is going to mount directly over the spring hangers.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• You're the man Jim, my only other thought is I'd probably flare those rear quarters like a 57 Chevy which I know has already been suggested

Comment

• The radius is just a cut job, with a piece of 1/2" steel tube added at the lip to protect the tires. I think it's more "natural" than a flare. These cars have a funky wheel opening, my feeling is that if you're not going to reconstruct it with the original shape, you should just cut it and leave it.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• What you're sayin is your not trying to win a popularity contest, problem is you already have....

Comment

The radius is just a cut job, with a piece of 1/2" steel tube added at the lip to protect the tires. I think it's more "natural" than a flare. These cars have a funky wheel opening, my feeling is that if you're not going to reconstruct it with the original shape, you should just cut it and leave it.
                      That's interesting. I must have missed the details somehow.....is it like 1/2" EMT bent to the needed radius and welded to the edge of the fender where the cut is?
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Jim - I really like the work you did on the front "torque box" that really looks factory - well done indeed.

You are certainly going the distance in keeping this a faithful period correct piece.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• 1/2" od tubing, not conduit. The tubing goes inside the lip, not outside. You probably won't notice it's there.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• I like the built in drive shaft loop. In lieu of the subframe connectors I think I would run rocker bars between the main hoop and the front down bars. Are you going have swing out door bars? I like those way better personally as we take them out for the long drives and the permanent rocker bars provide the fore/aft stiffness. The window net goes with the one on the drivers side.

I'm kind of assuming this car will get a chassis cert as this puppy could certainly get into the nines with the kind of power the motor in the '55 made.
                            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• I'm hoping to keep it in the tens, we'll see what happens. There will be sill bars on the cage, since the floor has been modified. I'm planning for fixed door bars, I'll deal with it. I don't expect to put a lot of miles on the car...and when I've taken the 55 on drag week, the bolt in door bar was in place all week anyways.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Ahhhh...yeah, that's it. I want to build the car to my own level of imperfection.

There seems to be a "missing" brace on these cars, from the rocker to the front subframe, so I'm adding them. They also tie into the front of the roll cage.

I don't have a brake or anything fancy like that, so I improvise.
                                Dude...I have 3 ft and 4 ft finger brakes, two other brakes and two bench vices. That is the coolest "brake" work I've seen in a long while and I'm ashamed to be lazy sittin on these tools while you crank this out. Very Kool project my friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X