No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks! I didn't get a picture of making the bend before I put it in the vise. I used my press, a piece of 1" angle iron, a 1" channel, and a big block of aluminum to make the first two bends to about 70 degrees. Then I used the vise to bend them out to 90 degrees. And bent all the flanges using the vise.

I also bent the 1/8" thick plate for the roll cage to floor joints, using the press. Space the press plates about 1.5" apart, and put a 1" round steel rod on top of the metal, and press it down to make a bend, although it only works for smaller angles.

I'm pretty good at improvising, as long as the pieces aren't too large.
    Last edited by squirrel; February 24, 2014, 08:47 PM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• "Squirrel's Nut Box"

Comment

• how crazy do you intend to go with the roll cage? going for period correct? or do you want it to be NHRA legal?
        Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• It has to be legal, so it's getting a modern cage.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

• You can still wrap the approved roll bar padding with electrical tape to make it look more period correct?
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• That's discouraged in LSR because of the concern of fire. Vinyl will burn with a nasty gas that comes off it. I don't know in NHRA, though. It WOULD be the period-correct thing, no doubt.

Dan

Comment

• You could use plenum rated black HVAC tape over the SFI 45 spec pad and get the look and be safe.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• this place has all the answers !

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                    this place has all the answers !
                    ditto

Comment

• Harbor Freight electrical tape comes undone in the sun anyway. All the adhesive un-adheres and winds up on the carpet. That would be period correct for some of the crap I've seen over the years, but sure doesn't look good. haha.

Was show car part of the plan all along? I missed... oh yeah, forgot to mention the rotisserie is simple greatness.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        Harbor Freight electrical tape comes undone in the sun anyway. All the adhesive un-adheres and winds up on the carpet. That would be period correct for some of the crap I've seen over the years, but sure doesn't look good. haha.

Was show car part of the plan all along? I missed... oh yeah, forgot to mention the rotisserie is simple greatness.
                        If you stretch HF tape, yes it becomes wonky. But if you just lay it on, it works real good.. Got some handles wrapped and those that I stretched a bit came off in the sun or within a year.. Got one I did 10 years ago I use almost daily that is still going strong..
                        Might be the batch.. Damned if I know but stretching seems to be a factor..

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          If you stretch HF tape, yes it becomes wonky. But if you just lay it on, it works real good.. Got some handles wrapped and those that I stretched a bit came off in the sun or within a year.. Got one I did 10 years ago I use almost daily that is still going strong..
                          Might be the batch.. Damned if I know but stretching seems to be a factor..
                          Of course you both are in the sunny baked part of the country.. My experience will differ!

Comment

• Years ago my brother-inlaw bought a six pack of electrical tape from a cheapo Taiwanese tool outlet store and they had no glue on them what so ever " black plastic ribbon " , I laughed my ass off !

Comment

• I paid extra for electrical tape with no adhesive....that's what the older GM harnesses were wrapped with. And a knot at each end.

I'm going to use modern safety equipment, although I'll try to get the oldest fashioned looking version I can find.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Got the bottom done, back to work on the top.
                                Attached Files
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X