No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to sand the rest of the body before painting it, so I'll also sand the overspray, and probably back tape it at the openings. I plan to paint the car after it's mostly assembled. That way all the panels will have the same finish.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Tinkered with a few things today. I finished welding the front frame parts, including the motor mounts, spring hangars, etc. And blasted them again to get some spots I missed, and added bondo where they're rusty pitted where the bumper brackets bolted on. I"ll probably shoot some rattle can black on them and see how they look...but maybe I should do some serious painting, ie. primer, sand, primer, sand etc. I have trouble getting motivated to do that on chassis parts.

And I played with the steering column. The 62 has a funky remote mounted turn signal switch, activated by a pull cable. Mine is all messed up. I plan to use a 56 column and switch, so it will look almost stock, and be more likely to work when I'm done. I scrounged up most of the parts I need, and cut off the shift lever socket on the shift cup, and filled the hole with epoxy. I need to cut off the bottom of the outer tube and see if I need to fill any holes in it. And paint all the parts when I paint the inside of the doors, etc. Also got the brake pedal support out and apart and cleaned up, and blasted the pedal, and cleaned up some of the parking brake linkage. So many little parts to fix.

I also spent some time fondling the new paint on the firewall, etc. I really like the color, and it's so smooth and shiny. And it smells good. Yummy!
      My fabulous web page

Comment

• That cars came a hell of a long way Jim, looks good.

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post

I also spent some time fondling the new paint on the firewall, etc. I really like the color, and it's so smooth and shiny. And it smells good. Yummy!
          One of the advantages of doing your own paint! Those of us who have know what you mean.

Dan

Comment

• The car is looking great Jim , what paint are you using ?

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
              The car is looking great Jim , what paint are you using ?
              It's Nason acrylic enamel.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• I've sprayed a lot of that and with great results. For the uninitiated, its a cheaper line from DuPont. I add hardener so it flows out a bit better and hardens a bit sooner. If you block and buff it it shines like the sun. Like any enamel it will need wax from time to time but less so if it mostly lives indoors.

Dan

Comment

• The instructions say you have to add the catalyst....I think they changed the formula to make it so you had to, it's better for making money.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• Sounds like a change from the last time I shot it. I wonder if they've gone to urethane which would be OK with me.

Dan

Comment

• This isn't urethane. They have single stage urethane paint, if you want. The enamel is FulCryl, the urethane is FulThane or something.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• A few years back we sprayed a truck cap with Nason - I think we forgot the catalyst - or didn't know we needed it... the paint flowed out pretty well but took F O R E V E R to dry.
                        Lots of bugs - since most of the bugs were on the top of a truck cap that was over 7ft in the air, I left them there.

Jim - this car is going to look fantastic - just like all your work - very inspirational.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• My painter buddy really likes Fulthane for underhood and the chassis side of the car.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I'm still plugging away at it. Trying to get it on wheels, then I can start on the cage.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Lookin' good!

Comment

• Yet another in a long line of great builds........
                                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                                X