Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome.

Comment

• Thanks! Got the front wheels on...working on the back end now. Painting parts, buying hardware, taking apart 9" ford stuff.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Yesterday I got the front end mostly done, with some help from Gary, who was visiting. Today, I put together a third member for my 55, then took the "racing" one out, so I could put it in the 62. Took the 55 for a test drive, the odometer is right on, so I guessed right on the speedo gear. It has 3.0 gears in it now, like it did in 1996 when I built it. Then I worked on the rearend for the 62 Chevy II. Took it apart, cleaned and painted the housing. Installed the rear springs in the car. Set the pinion angle, welded on the perches. Painted it, bolted it in. Installed the third member. Working now on the axles, cutting threads in the wheel stud holes so I can install 3" long studs.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Couple questions for you Jim. What's the quickest 1/4 you've pulled in the 55 and what are you expecting time-wise out of the 62?

Comment

• 55 has run 11.19, 11.22, 11.28

I'm losing around 1000 lbs, I hope to take off about a second.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• That's no bad for a 55 that hasn't been butchered to shit. Apples to apples I'd have to say you got low 10s in the bag. Good luck man.

Comment

• Man that is looking great Jim! Are you weighing each little piece that gets added back on?

How did you calculate/measure the pinion angle at this stage of the assembly? I'm working on that on my new build, but figured I had to wait until I had it at ride and race weight with the engine/trans set at the final location to know the output shaft location.

Which traction device will you be using? I assume it will be period correct? Sorry for all the questions.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• I kind of faked it on the pinion angle. I'm making my own Caltracs, but modifying the shape of the front plates to sort of make them look like the old Traction Masters. This is one thing that I couldn't figure out a good way to make it look right and work...actually, I'm just too lazy to make a neat set of old fashioned traction bars. The recommended pinion angle seems to be around 2 to 4 degrees nose down relative to the engine/trans centerline. I know that the engine/trans will be 3-4 degrees nose up, so I need the pinion to be about 1 degree nose up, all relative to the floor of the car. I had most of the final weight on the car a while ago when I was playing with the rear wheel openings, so I know the rear springs won't deflect down more than another inch or so, so the angle won't be much different when it gets weight on it. It may work...I may need to shim a little...but it should be pretty close.

I have been weighing all the parts, I have a spreadsheet that puts it at 2500 right now, but I figure there's at least 100 more pounds that I missed.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• 2500lbs +/- 100 is still pretty svelte. I cant wait to see this little beasty in person.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• I think it's really 2700 +/- 100 but we'll see.

I made a little movie of me playing with seat position. I'm working on making the tubing framework that holds the driver seat. I need to get it in the right place. I think this is about it, but I'll lower it an inch. I'm not sure if I want to make it adjustable. Probably not. The driver seat in my 55 has been in the same place for a long, long time and it's not an issue. The thing is, you have to bolt the back of the seat to the crossbar on the roll cage, so it's a pain to make it adjustable. I don't expect many people besides me will drive this car. Maybe Steven, but he's my size.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• I can hear you making engine noises from seeing that pic!!
                        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

• Jims as pretty reserved guy, if he was making engine nosies they were in his head.
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Nice work Jim! the '55 has to feel like a different car with that gearing.
                            What gears are you going to put in the 62?
                            Are you using 31 spline or more?
                            What differential?
                            sorry - lots of questions... LOL
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I had 3.25 gears in the 55 for Drag Week, and I put that third member in the 62, it has a Detroit locker, nodular case, good pinion support, 1350 yoke. The center I put in the 55 now is a 3.00 Locker, but it's not nodular, no daytona support, and has a smaller 1330 u joint. They're all 31 spline. I also swapped the old driveshaft back into the 55, I'll use the 1350 shaft in the 62.

I've run everything from 2.47 to 4.11 in the 55. 3.00 is a good cruising gear, not as good on the highway as the 2.47, but has more grunt off the line.
                              Last edited by squirrel; April 15, 2014, 10:24 AM.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Seat frame is made. Working on figuring out just where the cage is going to be. Helmet 3" below, and 3" ahead of the main hoop. Hopefully will get some help tomorrow, holding things in place and figuring out what to put where.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X