62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to see that....

I can't tell from the pictures, but was the car a front or rear steer (steering box ahead of or behind the axle)? Was he wearing a harness? There are different ways to prevent tragedy, installing a collapsing steering column is only one part of the equation.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• I believe it was a rear steer R&P setup...no he was not belted, but. he was at a street event, and only had about 50-60 feet to accelerate with a NA V6... I was shocked by the amount of damage and was horrified at the event even before it really had a chance to start... I'm just stating that if one small detail could have prevented a death, it should have been considered... we aren't playing with pedal carts here...we tell our loved ones and kids to be safe... we should set a better example
      Last edited by silver_bullet; April 17, 2014, 06:25 PM.
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• I first should worry about the columns in my other rides, they get far more miles on them.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

• One driver wvould have 2 steering wheels with different lengths of shafts, when one got uncomfy close, he pulled the wheel and shaft out and added the shorter one and kept going.. I never liked having stuff in the car flopping around.. Tends to hit ya.. That accident Silver Bullet shows may be a freak thing?.. It is kinda difficult to make a slider that does not come apart.. You'd need some way to make the bearing or clevis stay in position while allowing the slider to move in..

Comment

• If a monkey has enough sense to do it so should a squirrel

Comment

• What kind of racing is the Falcon set up for?
              My fabulous web page

Comment

• that was that road racing Falcon that they built on fast N Loud.
                Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• That's a light car Jim, I've seen how squirrelly they can get first hand, what-ever you do at-least I've given you something to think about. No harm done.

Comment

• It's a risky car, I'm well aware of that. You don't see too many AWB cars putting around town....
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• Yea, it was kinda like preaching to the quire but I chose to do it anyway, lol. Get back to work man.

Comment

• Don't worry, I'm working. I ordered some parts last night, been looking at the budget...I think I"ll make it. Looking at about a grand for 4 tires and 2 wheels (fronts). Transmission will take another chunk, just spent 500 on resto parts to install the windows, etc. Still need to get the plastic for the windows, too.

I plugged up some of the holes in the cowl area, blocked off the heater holes and the kick panel vent holes with 050 aluminum, riveted in place. Just about done with the cage, although I have to figure out the two lower diagonal "D" bars that support the main hoop. The rules are a bit confusing. I think I need to tie them to the rear subframe, but the main hoop is already, for the most part.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• tie the D bars to the driveshaft tunnel. if the car had a very narrow frame then I could see it on the frame. They are in line with the main hoop?
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            It's a risky car, I'm well aware of that. You don't see too many AWB cars putting around town....
                            Understood, but that little devil on our shoulders often gets us to do such things...
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                              tie the D bars to the driveshaft tunnel. if the car had a very narrow frame then I could see it on the frame. They are in line with the main hoop?
                              The text of the rule has more info...the driveshaft tunnel only works if you have an unmodified floor. I'm thinking that I need to either tie the D bar to the subframe, or not install it at all. The not install it concept is that the main hoop is already attached as solidly to the "frame" as it can be, since there is a structural box below the attaching point, and that structural box is connected directly to the subframe.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• could they make it more confusing?
                                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                                X