62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really.

I've been working on my 55, I pulled the blower off. Installing the Torker intake, 800 DP holley that I got from Scott, and I need to put a damper on it, but the one I had is kind of rough, so I ordered a new one. It's almost time to put the new hood on, and see how the paint matches.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Jim, when I certed the '71 the "D" bars were a critical discussion. The main hoop was tied to the perimeter uni-body box section like your '62 and they wanted the "D" bars to tie to the sub-frame or in the case of my car the sub-frame connectors. I wouldn't leave them out if an NHRA chassis cert is a mandatory item for your build.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• The problem I have is that there are no subframe connectors, and the subframe (such as it is) is already tied to the main hoop with stuff that's stronger than I can attach the D bars to the subframe.

I may just ask a tech inspector what they want....
        My fabulous web page

Comment

• Jim - Could you run an additional cross member from side to side across the car (above the drive-shaft) that would tie the "D" bars into the remaining structure of the frame and cage?
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I thought about that, but it doesn't seem to be quite what the rules want.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• I had 51 posts to catch up on! Great progress Jim. I wonder what Chassisman Ron's opinion is. He used to install cages professionally and is looking to go back to doing that work. I always figured if I ever decided on caging a car (because it's actually quick...) then I'd probably just drop the car off at his place. Might be worth a PM if you are looking for more opinions.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                Jim - Could you run an additional cross member from side to side across the car (above the drive-shaft) that would tie the "D" bars into the remaining structure of the frame and cage?
                Not sure I get the NHRA book but I think Milner's suggestion would work well in LSR. The Avanti cage has several sill-to-sill bars that tie the whole thing together and mount the hoops (there are 3 structural hoops in the Avanti). Joe T liked that arrangement. I'd agree that the NHRA rule is clear as mud but sometimes you have to do what's possible. I agree that the thing to do is expose the car to an inspector - in LSR it's usually possible to get an inspector to either look at Emailed pics or come on site for input depending on geography.

Dan

Comment

• I'm planning to take the car to the dragstrip in Tucson next month, it probably won't be running yet...but they can look it over. there's a car show going on at the same time as the Reunion race (something to do with the old dragstrip 52 years ago)
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• It's that steering shaft incident isn't it Jim....

Comment

• No, it's the lack of time....
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• Certainly not the lack of B.S. is it....

I thought you'd have that thing painted by now.

Comment

• There are lots of things that need to get done, and I have a sort of order for them in my mind. Paint is one of the later things.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            I'm planning to take the car to the dragstrip in Tucson next month, it probably won't be running yet...but they can look it over. there's a car show going on at the same time as the Reunion race (something to do with the old dragstrip 52 years ago)
                            I was going to bring this up, if you do head down let me know, I'll meet you out there.
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Will do
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• I know it's a little late to comment on the solid column but I think if that guy was wearing a belt he would be fixing his car. Where I live in PA, it's called the endless mountains for a reason. There are a lot of fatalities and the one common thread is that they weren't wearing seat belts. Even if the car had airbags. A lot of them are single vehicle where the cae rolled in a turn and they got ejected.
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X