No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw Dan at the store, he asked if I'm going to drive the Chevy II to the car show in Douglas (about 50 miles away) Saturday. I said "Hmmmm....."
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Hmm indeed. Do you have insurance and plates?? Saturday is just after TOMORROW
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• It's tagged and insured already.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

• Well, hot damn, get the brake lights working and don't drive after dark and you're golden!

Comment

• I got the wiring all installed. The lights dont' all work...I need to figure out what's up, no light at all in back, and the turn signal swtich is acting up (mechanical problem in the column). Gas gauge works. Dash lights work. GEN light comes on when I turn on the key. Haven't started it yet to see if it goes off when the engine runs. I'm working on the front suspension now, installing all the lock nuts, making sure everything is tight, setting toe in, etc.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• Any chance it's a chassis ground? I'm probably wasting my letters here as I'm sure once you start actual troubleshooting the solution will pop right out
              Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 22, 2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• The problem with the lights was that I wired the switch wrong. I treated it like a 50s light switch, not a 60s. I just had to add a power wire, and it's all happy now. Got the headlights in, using the old bulbs, one has a burned out low beam. Turn signals seem to be working ok now, without any effort on my part. The column is a little bit flaky, one day I'll have to take it back apart. went for a little drive, put a mile on the odometer. It's fun! kinda peppy.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

• 50's light switches didn't use power wires? =P

I bet as you get the rest of the car dialed in it's going to be a riot to drive short distances.

Comment

• The difference is that the 50s switches have a couple circuit breakers in them, one provides power to the tail and brake lights...the newer switches need to get that power from the fuse box, on a different wire.

Yeah, I might try to go for breakfast tomorrow morning at the Diner. It's the monthly geezer get together.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• some gratuitous pictures....

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Not to pretend I know it all Jim but I'm wondering if you're concerned about fuel starvation at top end? I was just thinking about how hard it would be to turn that fuel tank around.

Comment

• Gratuitously accepted, awesome pictures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Casper View Post
                            Not to pretend I know it all Jim but I'm wondering if you're concerned about fuel starvation at top end? I was just thinking about how hard it would be to turn that fuel tank around.
                            There is a pickup tube in the front of the tank, it goes back almost a foot. I know I'll have to keep the tank at least half full when I'm racing, but it should be fine. I ran pretty much the same fuel system in the 55, it never starved. And I have a pressure gauge on this one...at least I'll know if there's a problem, if I can happen to glance at the gauge at the right time.

I didn't think about turning the tank around, it's a neat idea, but also would require some work on the filler, etc. The tank was cheap, under $100 new repop.
                            Last edited by squirrel; May 22, 2014, 10:39 PM.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

• this car makes me smile every time I see it....Cannot wait to see it in action. Jim, you gonna try a test and tune at SIR before drag week?
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• I plan to run it several times before the big adventure....stay tuned
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X