No announcement yet.

62 Chevy II AF/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, that's a great looking car! Truly a work of art! Keep up the great progress!

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      Kinda peppy.
      I'm thinking "major-understatement" for some reason.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
        this car makes me smile every time I see it....Cannot wait to see it in action.
        x2! I wanna be like Jim
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• BADDASS
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• I think we should cruise Wendover in it - soon! That was a great event for me, even after doing the limbo into the back seat. Guess you would have to add a passenger seat before cruising, though. In case I haven't made this clear, that's a GREAT project!

Dan

Comment

• thanks! I made it into town and back home...just a few little issues came up. The radiator came halfway off, two of the four little screws holding it in pulled out the threads in the radiator. Not surprising. I had some baling wire with me, and wired it in place for now. I need to make a better mounting system, that clamps the radiator in place. Also, the fuel pump is really loud, I think the fuel line amplfies it, as well as the open trunk, etc. It's the loudest sound in the car driving down the road, which is saying something. The left rear tire rubs, but I didn't plan on running this wide of tire on it anyways. I'll play musical wheels and put the drag radials back on the 55, put the front tires off the Suburban on the back of the Chevy II, put the centerlines on the front of the 55, and put the polished slots on the front of the Suburban. Just temporary, of course

The engine seems to run good, the transmission works ok, the speedo and gas gauge work. The temperature is ok so far, but it's not hot out, either. It runs between 180 and 190 going down the road, it has a 180 thermostat. The gauge got over 200 when I got home, I go real slow in low gear down my 1/4 mile dirt driveway...but I put the temp gun on it, the front of the head was only 180, the thermostat housing was about 190. Not bad. The temp gauge sender is on the head, which will make it read higher under low water flow conditions.

edit: oh yeah...stopped by the dump on the way home, 2880 (scale has 20 lb increments). Me in it, that's 160, tool box and stuff is 30, has the heavy steel wheels and radial tires, and the mufflers. Has a full tank of gas. Missing the side and rear plexiglass and vent windows, inner door panels, and hood. So it'll weigh under 2700 when it's in race trim.

Last edited by squirrel; May 23, 2014, 10:08 AM.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Wow driving in 6 months! How many hours do you think you put into it?
                Last edited by Russell; May 23, 2014, 10:30 AM.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

• Congratulations Jim, another inspirational build completed!
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Thanks! I've put about a billion hours into it. I don't want to count. And money...but not too bad on the money, wild guess around 10k, but I could be off a bit. (that doesn't count parts I had before I bought the car).
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• Nice! Kind of funny the fuel pump being the noisiest thing. It's got a loud rumble to it alright. Are you sure you don't want to keep the bailing wire mount?

Glad to see you are right on target with the race weight as well Sure you aren't going to run 9's??
                      Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 23, 2014, 11:39 AM.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• can you used isolation mounts on the fuel pump? would that make it quieter? what about a little stink on sound deadner just over the pump?
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

• I'm probably going to add a foot long piece of braided flex line coming off the pump, then a bulkhead connector, then the aluminum tube that runs up front. It will help with clearance for the tail pipe on that side, too.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Looking back at what you started with and where you're at now is nothing short of amazing. The average person would have never attempted what you've accomplished. I know it isn't done yet but I feel like I can't compliment you enough Jim, your skills exceed mine by far. Nice job bro.

Comment

• Jim, is that a Schlitz beer can hanging under the radiator for a catch can?

Comment

• thanks!

Yes, it is a Shlitz can. An old 16 oz steel can, old enough that it doesn't have a zip code. And it's copyright date is 1962.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X